1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Higgs Boson has been 'discovered'. Possibly. Announcement on 4th July

Discussion in 'science and environment' started by editor, Jul 2, 2012.

1. dylans

dylans overlord of all acorns

2. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

Not sure which of those two I feel more drawn to.
  3. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

I like the second one.

I just thought it was funny, comic sans isn't standard, someone must have set it to that and that nice blue colour.
  4. killer b

killer b away.

i think someone was having a joke.
  5. Blagsta

Blagsta Minimum cage, maximum cage

That was the Higgs Bozo
  6. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

7. Termite Man

Termite Man zombie flesh eater

so let me get this right,

they have found a boson which may or may not be the one belonging to higgs and there has been no black hole which will destroy the earth.

I have to say I'm slightly disappointed in the outcome of all this :(
    Greebo likes this.
  8. ericjarvis

ericjarvis give a feck for the feckless

Don't worry. Somewhere in the data they haven't yet examined in detail is the evidence that the boson was stolen from Dirac by Higgs, and thus there are holes in the standard model after all. After all the effort hawking the Higgs boson around it will be discovered that, due to all the physicists sitting on the fence, it's all been a complete waste of time, and that John Butler did it.
  9. cesare

cesare Tramp. The. Dirt. Down.

"hawking" :D
  10. Termite Man

Termite Man zombie flesh eater

still not an earth destroying black hole though is it.
  11. Lord Camomile

Lord Camomile Unknown Member

Glad I wasn't the only one :D
    cesare likes this.
  12. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

Cat takes off.
    Greebo likes this.
  13. ericjarvis

Bless you, have a tissue.
  14. ericjarvis

This one was settled by experiment long ago. The cat is bloody furious.
    Dr Jon and Greebo like this.
  15. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

So much for the early techincal problems of the LHC actually being acts of sabotage from time travellers to prevent humanity from destroying itself :(
    Enviro and stuff_it like this.
  16. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

Quorn.
  17. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

And, of course, the Higgs Boson is very easily Spoonerised into the Bigg Hoaxon.
    Coincidence? I think not! :hmm:
  18. 2hats

2hats these hands were made for making

19. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

For some reason caption 1 of that IKEA mockup (with the little wooden stub thingies) made me cackle like an idiot :D.
  20. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Bound for glory

21. Fruitloop

Fruitloop communism will win

22. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

23. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

24. xenon

xenon animate junk

Ha.:D That's great. I didn't know much about him, other than the as it turns out, somewhat eronious image of a quiet out of touch academic.
  25. DotCommunist

ennit I love the idea that people thinking on the edge of physics are sort of irritated by reality and academic scrabbles for funding.
  26. xenon

xenon animate junk

Yep. But also in his case, politically active and a bit bolshy. The kinda academic you'd want as a tutor.
  27. DotCommunist

my old creative writing lecturer. Did philosophy with lifers in local prisons. Thick glasses, crap coat, a shitty old citroen to drive. Proper lefty academic sort- at some times when the discussions got heated he'd say 'I'm going for a smoke' and leave us all hammering out the issues at hand. Thats what you want in a tutor.
    Enviro and xenon like this.
  28. white rabbit

white rabbit Less than zero R.I.P.

I didn't know you were a lifer. Was it your paedo uncle, or did you do a copper because he knew too much?
  29. white rabbit

white rabbit Less than zero R.I.P.

When I think about the simplistic ideas I had in my 20s, a philosophy course at that age seems like an utter waste of time. I can't believe I didn't see Williams' moral luck as a critique of utilitarianism instead of some perverse existentialist branch. Why was I so resistant to Kant. Was I really in thrall to Wittgenstein's insanity? On the other hand, how would I have read Hume. Thanks to him I know the tree in the forest makes no sound! I gained a healthy distrust of anyone in the European tradition from Sartre on. In fact, apart from Kierkegaard, fuck the lot of them. And, of course, that nothing means anything. And we all knew that to start with.
  30. DotCommunist

I killed for my country. I ran black ops out of Sudan arming rebel Kurds in Iraq. During the Cold war I organised and shipped yemeni guns to separatists throughout the Congolese region. And for this they deny me my liberty and donuts.
    white rabbit likes this.