1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Higgs Boson has been 'discovered'. Possibly. Announcement on 4th July

Discussion in 'science and environment' started by editor, Jul 2, 2012.

1. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

The full announcement is coming on Weds (surely they're not being so crass as to time it with US Independence Day?) but it appears that they have finally found/nearly found the elusive Higgs Boson.
    Badgers likes this.
  2. Greebo

Greebo the countdown begins here

It's taken decades to get this far, a couple more days is immaterial. IMHO some clearer proof either way would be interesting.
  3. maldwyn

maldwyn What?

Is it funding renewal time already? :D
    stuff_it, ericjarvis and Greebo like this.
  4. Greebo

You might very well think that, I couldn't possibly coment.
    ericjarvis likes this.
  5. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

So 08:00 UK time tomorrow then :)
  6. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

I am not sure that I believe in the God particle. I am a bit agnostic about it.
    stuff_it and Greebo like this.
  7. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Does Bill Murray really have the qualifications to be the deputy physics coordinator at Cern?
    october_lost and 8ball like this.
  8. tendril

tendril Corpsing inappropriately

It's my birthday on the 4th. Now would I rather have higgs Bosun, or a Big ho, son???
    Greebo likes this.
  9. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

But other than to confirm a widely-held belief, will we be better off or the wiser for it?
  10. OneStrike

OneStrike Well-Known Member

Owen Jones has a brother working there, as is Dave Nellists' Daughter. The science is a bit much for me but from my little understanding of Higgs, Quartz, Photons e.t.c I know it is exciting and I wanted to get an early post in the thread.
    quimcunx likes this.
  11. dylans

dylans overlord of all acorns

It will be the confirmation of a prediction of a theoretical model. One of the most powerful things about scientific theory is that it can make predictions about what should be found in the natural world if the model is correct. When predictions are confirmed by evidence they thus validate theory. If it is found It will mean that one of the last pieces of the jigsaw in particle physics has been found and we will have answered one of the fundamental questions in physics,namely why particles have mass. It will be the deepest level of reality that the human race has ever discovered. As such it will be the crowning achievement of half a century of physics.

As I understand it, the higgs field is the force that gives different masses to different subatomic particles. The moment the universe began all particles existed in symmetry and were massless and were all zipping around at the speed of light. All particles in the universe were perfectly distributed across the universe. All the forces of nature had the same strength and all matter particles had the same mass (zero) There was no gravity because there was no way for gravity to act on a universe of perfect symmetrical distribution of massless matter.

Then the higgs field switched on in the first trillionth of a second and broke that symmetry, broke the perfection, like someone at a dinner party picking up a glass and ruining the symmetry of the table arrangement and it was this, this falling into disordered a-symmetry which meant that some particles took on mass and some didn't. Gravity now could do its stuff, pulling on particles of different masses and from that we get structures and ultimately the galaxies, stars, planets and us.

It was imperfection and disorder that made the universe as we know it possible. There is an irony here, existance owes itself to disorder and imperfection and not the other way around. If the universe had remained symmetrical then nothing would have mass and would be just a perfect, symmetrical soup of massless particles. The breaking of symmetry was a vital stage for existence
  12. Greebo

Possibly, yes, eventually.
  13. claphamboy

claphamboy The wheels on the bus go round and round....

Oh Christ, does that mean he will end-up being rolled out all over the place to comment on any findings?
  14. Balbi

Balbi Hey, Dean Yager!

15. Fez909

Fez909 Master of the bait

5-sigma discovery confirmed!
  16. Pickman's model

Pickman's model let's kill the king

not... not 5-SIGMA? :eek: :eek:
  17. Pickman's model

Pickman's model let's kill the king

in a barrel with spikes on the inside.
    claphamboy likes this.
  18. spitfire

spitfire scouting party

Thanks dylans, I didn't really understand what the big deal was until you posted that. I've nicked it and posted it elsewhere for my mates to read, hope that's OK.
    dylans likes this.
  19. dylans

Wow. So a confirmed discovery then. It means they are 99.9999 sure.

Someone is going to get a Nobel prize
  20. Fez909

Fez909 Master of the bait

Yep, although they've stopped short of saying it is the Higgs. Just that the new discovery behaves like the Higgs.
  21. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet ammonia snooker balls

I won't believe it's real until I've seen its long-form birth certificate :mad:
    quimcunx, claphamboy and spitfire like this.
  22. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet ammonia snooker balls

(not actually my joke, to be fair)
  23. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Bathing in the golden gloop

These muppets are using Comic Sans to present their findings. :D
    fractionMan and krink like this.
  24. krink

krink I'll do it this afternoon

as an enthusiastic but easily confused follower of this stuff, thanks for that, dylans. made perfect sense!
  25. King Biscuit Time

King Biscuit Time The highest British attention to the wrong detail.

That's classic scientist. Oooh - lets make this easier to understand by putting things in Comic Sans!

Not me though - I put my presentations in Gill Sans to lend my research an air of authority.
  26. Limejuice

Limejuice Well-Known Member

That's a perfectly fair attitude.

Lloyds Bank won't believe I'm real until I turn up with a passport and an electricity bill. What's sauce for the bank is sauce for the boson.
  27. krink

krink I'll do it this afternoon

didn't eric gill fuck his dog?

sorry for this surreal derail.:D
  28. King Biscuit Time

King Biscuit Time The highest British attention to the wrong detail.

And his daughter I think.

Still I don't think you can tell that just by looking at the font.
    stuff_it and krink like this.
  29. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Nadie espera a la inquisicion española.

Only realised today that my dad may have been in the same class at school with Higgs...
  30. dylans

ginger_syn, fractionMan and krink like this.