1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! my beloved old cat has suddenly started dragging a hind leg!

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by pennimania, Sep 18, 2010.

1. pennimania

pennimania still dre and drooling

I would really appreciate advice and hearing if anyone else has had this problem.

My darling Mulder (12) had seemed very quiet for a few days, and unusually, spent most of his time in the polytunnel. He usually spends a lot of time roaming about, and is very affectionate.

Last night I made him come in, he refused food and settled to sleep in his basket. I was worried but let him lie.

Today, when I went downstairs he asked to go out - he is a cat that loves outside and is a great hunter and tree climber. As I watched him I saw he was really dragging a hind leg. :(

He went to the toilet in 'his' place under the roses, had a drink and then my daughter brought him in because she couldn't stand watching him dragging himself about.

He was purring, but other wise very quiet. We felt his leg, but we can't find anything obvious. He still hasn't eaten anything and is now asleep on my bed.

OF COURSE this has to happen at the weekend!:mad:

I shall take him to the vet on Monday - I just wondered if anyone else has had this problem with their cat?

2. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

It might be his kidneys :(

3. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

Are you sure he's not had an accident/been hit by a car?

4. pennimania

Did you have a cat that suffered that way?

what were the other symptoms?

I am really worried, have been trawling the Internet and it's not looking good :(

5. pennimania

absolutely positive - we live in the back of beyond - there is isn't a real road nearer than half a mile. He hangs round the fields bordering our house.

6. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

My old cat Claudius lost the use of both his back legs. We had to carry him about. He was about 150 in cat years though.

7. pennimania

Bless him.

I've just been having another look at him. He doesn't seem in pain at all and his paws are all equally warm.

He tried to walk, and it's as if his paw gives way under him and he has to pull it along, as he uses the other three. He's gone to sit with my son now, who he loves.

8. miss minnie

miss minnie Well-Known Member

A neighbours cat had suddenly gone very quiet for a day or so and I obliged by taking her to the vet (the cat, not the neighbour). Turned out she had managed to fall on some glass and had a long fine cut down her belly, hidden by the long fur. Even though we checked her all over we hadn't seen it. It was infected.

Vet cleaned it up, some anti-biotics and within days she was back to her old self.

Does sound like he's had an accident poor mog. :(

9. miss minnie

grrr bloody double posting server basterd :mad:

10. pennimania

I shall take him on Monday - I forgot to say he has lost over 2 pounds - he usually weighs over 12!

I am praying it will be sorted, my son is very attached to him - well we all are- but son has borderline Aspies and depressive issues and I know he will not deal well with it if it comes to the worst :(

11. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus would be a rubbish god

Yeah, a sudden change like that sounds like an accident to me too. Hope that is the explanation – he should be ok if it is.

12 isn't that old, either.

12. Minnie_the_Minx

Well if you don't think he's had an accident, are you sure it's not something as simple as a splinter in his paw?

13. felixthecat

felixthecat embarrassing mother

Or possibly a bite if he's a bit of a hunter. My cat was not taking weight on one of her front paws and was generally not herself - couldn't see anything wrong with her foot tho. Took her to the vet who found a wound deep inside the pad of her paw that was infected - squeezed a shedload of pus out of it! Antibiotics and she was right as rain in a day or two. The vet said that it was either another cat or a rat that she'd fallen foul of, and that cats easily abcess if they have puncture wounds.

With a bit of luck, it'll be something that simple.

14. pennimania

I'm going to look at his paw right now.

Luckily he's such a love that he lets you do anything with him.

15. RubyToogood

RubyToogood Palacetinian

Any chance of being able to ring the vet and speak to them/whoever is doing out of hours?

Abscess as felix describes is very common. My cat Brian has arthritis which makes him very lame, but that sort of crept up rather than being sudden, but this too is common.

16. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

I had this once with Spook when she was relatively young - she came in and just collapsed, couldn't walk on her back legs, and she literally dragged herself up the stairs and hid under the bed. When we took her to the vets, it turned out she had been bitten (probably in a fight). A couple of injections later and she was as right as rain.

17. moose

moose Sat here like Piffy on a rock bun

I think if it's just one leg, it's more likely to be a fixable injury. When both legs go at the same time, that's when it's usually something really serious, that's what happened to Sparky on his last day. Is his tail functioning normally?

18. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Belle parole non pascon i gatti

poor mulder

have you got pet insurance? they often have a 24hr vet line? If you want you can use my policy (you'd have to pretend he's 9 and called otto though!) to put a call through

if he's purring, paws are warm he's prob ok

is he eating and weeing? are his ears hot (infection fever)

19. miss minnie

Indeed, same thing with my mog, very suddenly she lost function of the whole hind quarter most likely due to a tumour. That was her last day sadly, still she did alright for a cat having spent 20 years on this earth. :)

20. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet ammonia snooker balls

thread locker!

21. miss minnie

Oh ffs, don't tell me vbulletin crap design strikes again.

Sheesh, I am close to giving up on urban75 altogether this software is so incredibly shit.

22. miss minnie

And of course, the 6th? double post of the day! I give up.

23. Shirl

Shirl Well-Known Member

Not with a cat but I had a dog that had a stroke and one of her back legs went. I hope all is well when you visit the vet on Monday. Best wishes to you and pussy Penni

24. pennimania

Well I've checked his paws and ears. They both seem normal temp wise, and I could not see any trauma.

I will take him to vet on Monday. Thanks for your offer Miss-S, but I think they might notice the difference between Hackney/ Tulse Hill and Isle of Skye! ;)

he is nearly 13, but I never thought of him as old until this weekend, he is very vigorous.

He has just refused his favourite Tandoori chicken :(

Please don't lock thread, Fridgey darling.....

25. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Belle parole non pascon i gatti

they're not always that observant!

hope he's ok - he will be ok till Monday - let us know how it goes

26. pennimania

you know I will!;)

27. oryx

oryx Gamey Winehouse

Yes, my old cat (RIP) started dragging his leg/legs (couldn't tell if it was one or both TBH) once. It turned out to be a back problem, possibly due to him having landed badly after a jump. A couple of weeks and a course of steroids later, he was right as rain.

Hope he's OK.

28. pennimania

Just back from vet.

Well apart from the leg, he had a MASSIVE intestinal blockage which has been removed, so that alone should make him more comfortable.

The leg- no visible trauma, he has had a steroid injection and now we are going to wait and see. He is not allowed out, but is sitting at the door hopefully -I think I will let him out for a bit if it's nice tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's interest and advice, I appreciate it :)

29. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

Well, that's good news.

30. Minnie_the_Minx

Has the vet told you WHY he's not allowed out? Maybe by restricting him in the house, she wants to restict his movement somewhat in order to avoid aggravating anything?

Glad to hear it's nothing too serious