1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Guardian) drone attacks in pakistan mapped...

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by treelover, Aug 3, 2012.

1. treelover

treelover For the 'Good Old Cause'

'The US has launched drone strikes in Pakistan over 330 times with up to 3,247 casualties - including up to 852 civilians. Based on a comprehensive database of drone strikes, this map shows where those strikes happened. Click the red dots to see what happened and how many were killed'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/data.../aug/02/drone-attacks-pakistan-map?intcmp=122

The Guardian is reporting that the use of unmanned killer drones is going to increase exponentially and covers their recent use in great detail, inc a interactive map of attacks in Pakistan. One disturbing figure for me is that out of 3, 247 casualties nearly a third were civilians, pretty obscene and just shows how the 'war on terror' is still hurting the innocent...

sadly all on Obama's watch...

2. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

It is not clear what a casualty is, is it someone injured or someone killed or both of these?

3. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

And that is just what they know if.

4. weltweit

Them only listing the strikes that happenned in Pakistan makes it seem as if Afghanistan was peaceful by comparison. I bet there were that many and more on the Afghanistan side of the border.

Anyhow Pakistan is now again permitting US convoys across its terrain so they must at least accept at some level the activity.

5. free spirit

free spirit more tea vicar?

fuckin hell, I'd no idea they'd killed that many people. No wonder the Pakistani's are incredibly pissed off with them if they've killed nearly as many people as died in the twin towers.

a brilliant policy on the making freinds and influencing people side of things as well.

6. Brubricker

Brubricker --------------------

It won't be long at all before all sorts of countries develop these things, or buy/steal the plans to do it. This will become much more than an American problem.

7. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

8. likesfish

likesfish chanelling mike from spaced

Not really predator drones can only really fly over a country which allows them to or has bog all air defences.
    So mexico and ireand no problems.
    Israel and germany not so much.

Random and shagnasty like this.
  9. shagnasty

shagnasty two legs bad four legs good

Was wondering whether these drones would be that hard to take out ,with radar tracking and they are propellor driven so a reasonable jet will out pace them.So i would think even countries with ancient jets could do this

10. kebabking

kebabking Lazy Member

these drones - almost all MQ-9 Reapers - are designed and built for operation in a 'permissive' environment, which means either that the people they are flying over don't have a credible air defence systyem, its been destroyed, or they don't want to switch it on. they are not particularly stealthy, they are relatively slow, and they don't carry the kind of air-to-air weapons that could hold off a fighter trying to shoot them down.

other drones however are getting stealthy - all the prototypes of the high end UCAV's in development in the US and Europe look like smaller versions of the B-2 bomber, and thats no coincidence. i would not be surprised if those drones could happily sit over US or western European airspace for a week and no one would know.

shagnasty likes this.
  11. Starflesh

Starflesh making it, just

I think they are also being used in the Yemen.

12. ItWillNeverWork

ItWillNeverWork outlook innacurate

Seriously, why the fuck are 'we' there still? There's barely even the pretense of purpose to it. :mad:

13. Starflesh

Starflesh making it, just

If you ask me--which you didn't--I think there is a long game being looked at in all these areas: a need to maintain the balance in our favour between "western" nations and Islamic nations. Like, if there is not a big presence in these places then some sort of Islamic unity might take place, which is not wanted, financially or philosophically. It is viewed, I think, as a battle for the foreseeable future of the world.

14. likesfish

15. dylanredefined

dylanredefined Not a house elf a tiger

As the Arabic countries do not have the industry or technology to counter anything America has and America is even not going to need their oil soon thats not a good reason. The chance of Islamic unity is the same as any sort of Christian unity.'
    The cia are doing the Pakistanis dirty work by bombing the bad lands in return for a lot of intel which may or may not be of use.
    As people who hate the west and would happily launch terror attacks against the west die no one really cares if they really could launch effective attacks or if it was just wishful thinking which got them targeted.

16. dylans

dylans overlord of all acorns

There is no "Islam" anymore than there is a single homogenous entity called "Christianity". There are many. The idea of Islamic unity is itself a divisive and exclusivist slogan because it is interpreted to mean achieving "unity" via the exclusion of those who don't fit a particular idea or definition of what "Islam" is or isn't. The persecution and mass murder of Shia Muslims and other minority Islamic communities in Pakistan and other places is carried out by the same people who talk about the Ummah. Their logic is obvious, cultural diversity within Islamic communities is seen as an obstacle to their mythical unity. Therefore eliminate diversity and enforce a false homogeneity based around what they see as "true Islam"

17. likesfish

There a bit like the far right lets start a global race war or the few violent revoultion now! Types.
    The aims are mostly fantasy but slaughter and mayhem.
    No doubt they'd committ mass murder in the west if they could but they cant so they settle for fucking afganistan and pakistan and a few other places.

18. weltweit

I thought I posted this here already, nevermind.

There was a story about a drone pilot who was watching someone mucking about at the side of a road. The pilot decided the person was doing something to an IED and obtained authorisation to fire on the person. Just before firing he observed another much bigger person come and remonstrate with the first person and he observed that the first person was very small, in fact the first person was just a child playing at the side of the road.

I forget where I read that.

19. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Donkey piss and tractors

And when the drone pilot asked his colleagues 'Was that a child?' he was told 'No, it was a dog.'

20. dylans

dylans overlord of all acorns

I posted it on the American gun thread. Its a Spiegel article. Full article is here
    http://www.spiegel.de/international...er-war-for-american-drone-pilot-a-872726.html