1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graduation Troubles.

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Boppity, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Boppity

Boppity Meet me in Outer Space.

So, many of you know during my second year of university I became very unwell and had to leave near the end of my first semester.

I went back to complete my second year during the next academic term and have just completed my third year.

However, now that Graduation is looming it has been discovered that when I returned I was not signed up for enough credits to pass my degree. They are offering me the opportunity to re-take those credits (will take another year to graduate and I can't afford the fees) or to pass without honors (which will make finding a graduate position nigh on impossible and will certainly scupper my dreams of ever becoming a teacher.)

I have no idea what to do and I haven't told my parents, graduation is on the 16th of July but I need to let them know my decision before then. Wtf should I do?!?! :( :( :( :(

2. Thora

Thora Differently Ethical

Can you not get a loan?

3. paulhackett

paulhackett voiced by strother martin

Tell your parents..

marty21 and Greebo like this.
  4. Boppity

No, I've had four years of student loans (because of the catch up year) I'm not entitled to any more.

5. Boppity

I fail to see what this would accomplish, other than causing them to panic. :p

6. paulhackett

But that's why they're there.. and now's a time you need them. If they panic, they panic, but they may not.. they may come up with an idea. They may provide support. You will have someone to speak to about it.

Plus it means you're being honest with them (about something you can't control) - surely it's better to be up front now than wait?

sim667, Maggot, Meltingpot and 2 others like this.
  7. Boppity

You speak sense, but you don't know my parents. :D

Telling them will just make the situation more difficult, they won't really understand that this can't be fixed by yelling at the right people.

8. paulhackett

You need to do what's best for you.. and if I were you, being honest with them (irrespective of how they are) must be easier for you (in the long run)?

Greebo likes this.
  9. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Base for your face

Can it not be solved by yelling? I mean, why weren't you signed up for enough credits? Can you not get the to waive the fees if they fucked up? :hopefulsmiley:

Ax^, wtfftw, RubyToogood and 3 others like this.
  10. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

It sounds to me like it was the university's fault that you didn't get enough credits; they should have made sure you had enough credits, or given you extra summer work to catch up, because this has left you in a very unenviable position.

The first thing I would do, is find out what your student union offers in terms of student support; most SU's will have an 'advice and representation' service. They can act as mediators between you and your course and I expect they will have been involved in cases like yours, so will probably know what is, and what is not available to you. Get down to them on Monday morning and speak to them to find out what, if anything they can do.

I would also e-mail a tutor. Ask if they have bursaries, or if you could do work over the summer. My uni has graduations at several times of the year; one of my mates has had some problems health wise in her final year. So while I'll be graduating in July, she'll be doing her exams and stuff over the summer and will then graduate in December. It may be that your university has the same options. I would ask about these and make strong hints about them cocking up in the first place. Thus, they should be bending over backwards for your benefit.

I would also tell your parents; there's no need for them to panic, these things can usually be sorted out. :)

11. aqua

aqua made of cheese and gin

most places will say it is the students responsibility to ensure they have completed enough credits - I do know of a case where because more than a couple of students were affected by the uni not allocating them the right number of credits they got regs waivers and got the degree they should have got

definitely worth going to speak to the union support asap

StoneRoad and stuff_it like this.
  12. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Base for your face

Surely, since Boppity was returning following chronic, debilitating health issues she should have been given sufficient support and advice to ensure this did not happen. What kind of support were you given when you returned Boppity? Did they advise you on which modules you had to take and so on?

trashpony, wtfftw and Greebo like this.
  13. Boppity

This is pretty much what I was told. I've been thinking about simply accepting the degree and trying to take a course along side work but that seems like I've done all this work for nothing. Also, I might be able to graduate later and make up the missing credits over the summer but I won't hear about that decision until the 2nd of July.

They told me how many credits to sign up for to make up for those missed in my second semester, but it turns out I was 15 short in my first one too which was an oversight.

14. Wilf

Wilf First, we kill the gurus

I work at a university so this is reasonably well informed advice - though there are unknown issues about the bit you've missed (whether it's a core module, whether it's part of some professional body requirement etc.). Anyway... in terms of fault it will come down to what information you were given and whether you followed it (on your return). There will presumably have been some written or electronic instructions you had to follow? They might try to fall back on 'you had a course guide at the start so should have known', but I'd say that isn't enough - they should have given you explicit information as to what you needed to do in your specific circumstances.

There may even be things they can do to sort you some credits over the Summer. For example I teach an independent study module that could be deployed in these circumstances (the sort of thing that runs without classes and could be squeezed into a certain period). Main thing though is get the fuck to the student's union ASAP! There will be people there who know the system and how to appeal things - and probably have come across similar scenarios before. Most of all, get on with it, most places will be having their exam boards in the next fmonth at the most. Easier to get something done before a board meets, though things can be overturned afterwards. Another thing is that most universities have 'resit boards' late in the Summer and even 'third sit boards' a bit later. If they are at fault the onus should be on them to squeeze you through to one of them. Even if they weren't - and I have a feeling they weren't or you would have mentioned it - with the student union you still might get them to be creative over the Summer. Finally, there is a thing called 'Assessment Review' or similar title - which will allow you to challenge your results. Again though, talk to the SU.

15. Quartz

Quartz Eclectic contrarian plebeian

Isn't this the sort of thing an Aegrotat covers?

16. Wilf

More likely to be if someone is too ill to complete at the end.

17. Wilf

Ah, right - didn't see that. So, it looks like that is practically doable - just awaits them decding they should. Which takes us on to...

Presumably, the oversight was your own (not getting at you, just checking)? If so, you could still argue they should have taken that on board when telling you what you had to do on your return. If the oversight was the university's, should be plain sailing for you.

18. Wilf

Sorry - and another thing! Was the shortage of credits at year 2? If so, your results would have gone through an exam board at the end of that year, prior to moving into year 3. So, if they've let you go through to your final year without explicitly telling you about the shortfall... you get my drift, the ball was in their court. Anyroad, take all of the correspondence you have to the student union.

19. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

Do you need to do a full year or just do one or two modules? Many universities let you pay per module and study part time, so you may be looking at finding more like £600-800 per module and a part time job to help with living expenses rather than a 'full year' of uni fees.

And don't most degrees not cover marks from the first year anyway? If it's just a 15 credit compulsory from the first year then even if you do have to do it as a separate module next year you may be able to get some sort of funding for the course fees and not much hassle off the dole seeing as you would still be guaranteed to get the degree you have worked for.

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  20. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Belle parole non pascon i gatti

Wilf has good advice boppity

i would also say get and/or keep one of your tutors alongside who will do what they can to open up your options. there are usually many more exam boards than openly acknowledged. you may be able to get credits and go to a post grad board for instance. although yr folks may want to see a ceremony the most pressing thing is to get yr degree. you cd always attend later.

i would advise against an ordinary degree as yr long term option as it closes too many doors

however you may find theres a limmited window to get an ordinary, graduate then return cert and make up missing credits

How did you leave yr course when you were ill? eg did you intermitt part way through a semester? you wd be entitled surely to resume that module for no extra fees.

oh and tell your folks as soon as you have all available facts. imo you will regret only having an ordinary degree and your folks may have ways to help you achieve hons( obv i dont know them or your relationship - i only know i wd try my best to assit my daughter as hons degree would help her be more independent through offering more options)

stuff_it likes this.
  21. Miss-Shelf

Sorry posting from phone wont let me edit

unis want students to get hons degrees for their figures
    there will be ways round this frustrating though it is now and the extra cost is a hurdle
    good luck

22. Boppity

I was thinking if worst came to worst, I could accept the ordinary degree, work for a year in a standard admin job (as planned, just to earn some quick cash) and then 'top up' my degree with an OU course? Wouldn't that be a cheaper/easier to fit work around option? Assuming that they don't allow me to make up the module over summer?

I know I should be more willing to fight this, but to be honest, the university have messed me around so much I just don't have a lot of fight in me. :(

23. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

In a way yes, but you may be better off transferring to the OU to finish - as you could possibly complete the modules for a similar price somewhere you could afford to live if you can't finish off your degree. I should point out that with the OU (and so quote likely with other unis) if you accept your current qualification it sort of deletes your modules so they can't count towards a future degree - so if you take a diploma you can't then top up with a degree, so if you choose to look into this route and are told it's ok make sure you look into it very carefully.

24. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

But if you pass it onto your SU, they'll be supporting and representing you, so the fight would be much more led by them than you. It would be a shame to not graduate with what you deserve over something that is arguably their cock up.

Speaking from personal experience, if you get decent grades, the uni is usually much more happy to make exceptions and accomodate, because they know you'll do well and it'll reflect well on them. For example, my CRB took longer to arrive than it should have (and due to a cock up as I was an internal transfer, I wasn't on the right list so sent my CRB months late) so my placement journal deadline had to be extended. I've never got bad grades, so my tutor was very laid back about when I did my placement and basically said I could do it whenever I wanted because they knew the work would get done and would be done to a high standard. So much for deadlines being 'set in stone'. ;)

Hopefully the result on the 2nd of July will come back with you being allowed to finish things off over the summer. I still think it's worth speaking to your SU regardless though; the fight may be much less than you expect.

Greebo and stuff_it like this.
  25. Wilf

Yes, as stuff it said, be careful about taking an award now as it might stop you topping up elsewhere. Also, much better to do it over the Summer while your motivation is up and knowledge is current. If you get the SU involved it really won't feel like you are doing the fighting - they would 'lead off' in any meetings. At one level, if these things can be solved by talking to your personal tuor or someone else you can trust, that's by far the best route. If that isn't going to work, let the student union get procedural and lawyerly. I've seen lots of cases where the uni ducks out and takes the path of least resistance when that happens. Good luck.

Miss-Shelf, purenarcotic and stuff_it like this.
  26. Miss-Shelf

Dont give up now
    it may take time to resolve so take it bit by bit
    unlikely that another institution can award you an honours degree as you wont have studied enough credits from their uni for you to get a qualification with them -usually you need 2/3rds of the award with the awarding uni
    if its emotionally important to graduate now,take the ordinary,walk across the stage in the gown,pose for the photo THEN send the cert back and complete the credits

27. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix μεθαύριο

If all else fails you could register to transfer all your credits into the open university and I think if you sign up this year fees will remain at lower rate till 2017 so it would be a reasonably cheap way of finishing up with honours. Give the OU a phone and explain your circumstances.

Meltingpot likes this.
  28. Boppity

Thanks for the advice guys :( I need to think! I'll let you know how it goes

Miss-Shelf and Wilf like this.
  29. Quartz

Quartz Eclectic contrarian plebeian

Very best of luck to you.

Something else to check: are there any scholarships available?

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  30. Termite Man

Termite Man zombie flesh eater

Why is this being discovered now and whos fault is it?

Meltingpot likes this.