1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got a new pair of Doc Marten's yesterday

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by Idris2002, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Idris2002

Idris2002 The Wing of Zock, representing HOPE

Yesterday I got a new pair of DMs, for the first time in three years.

Have they changed their specs for manufacturing these things? I'm not feeling anything like the traditional HELLISH PAIN you're supposed to get when breaking in a pair of these bad boys.

Also, I take a size 11 shoe or boot, I have done for years - these are size 11, yet they feel a bit loose, especially in the heel area. What's up with that?

2. Idris2002

[​IMG]

3. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

I can't recall ever having "hellish pain" while breaking in docs and I've been wearing them for 33 years. :)

Just enjoy them.

4. killer b

killer b Cute, in a stupid-ass way

they moved production to china a few years ago - possibly some of the spec changed then?

5. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel MCU, MA in CW fwiw, NWUK

this^^^

plus, I only ever got pain from the black ones - I have had ketchup coloured ones (not cherry reds) and they were soft soft soft from day 1

6. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

Production is split between China and Thailand. My steelies come from China while the 14 holers come from Thailand.

7. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

They moved the textile production. The stitching is still done here iirc.

And docs have always been a pain to break in.

8. marty21

marty21 insidious agendas everywhere

I tend to buy the soft leather ones now - so the pain of wearing them in is not as much as the trad doc boots

9. I've been wearing docs for over 20 years - the first pair I got were second hand; so no hellish pain there but yeah, initially a new pair always takes a bit of wearing and ankle gouging before you take to each other. My last pair only lasted around 4 years before they started falling apart. Most annoying.

10. S☼I

S☼I human being not a human doing

The pair of 14 holers I got some years ago gave me pain, yeah. But I got some new 10s a few months ago and they were lovely and comfy immediately.

11. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

So Idriss, you're wearing boots made with the fingers of Chinese & Thai children. That's probably how they got them comfy for you. How do you feel about that?

:p

12. Idris2002

I drink their tears, relishing the salty goodness.

13. Idris2002

Anyway, those kids will grow up to be dedicated union men and women - 'the worse, the better', as Lenin taught us. Those contradictions won't heighten themselves.

14. moose

moose with the voice of Roger Tilling

They make a lot of them from softer leather nowadays. I bought some 20 hole docs last week, which used to be like catching your legs in a man trap lined with piranha teeth, but these like slippers.

As for the sizing I've noticed they're looser, too. I expect it's to cater for people who wear trainers a lot and can't cope with sturdier footwear.

15. Idris2002

There's always some wankers who have to go and ruin it for everyone else. Agree about the softer leather.

16. pennimania

pennimania still dre and drooling

Actually i've been meaning to ask a doc related question for yonks and this reminded me.

Do you get your normal shoe size - I mean if you take a 4 in ordinary shoes is it a 4 in docs? I ought to know this, but I can't read the size on any of my pairs.

Daughter wants some and it's much easier for us to buy online.

help please :)

17. moose

It is for me, although obv I wear slightly thicker socks with them. Try Cloggs.co.uk as well as the dr martens website - sometimes price differences. :)

18. Celt

Celt Well-Known Member

No order the size of the next person wearing a blue coat that you see ;)

but I do know what you mean - and yes you do.

I used to buy DM's from the factory shop in Daventry, there stands a tesco on the site now :confused::(:hmm:

19. pennimania

You mean you get your normal size? I must bow to your greater knowledge - you are the Doc queen in my book. :cool:

You know I have had some of mine for nearly 20 years. :eek:

wonder if daughter will be the same :D

20. pennimania

the reason I asked that silly question was because I think at one time you had to get a size smaller.

maybe it's dementia setting in :(

21. moose

Actually now I think about it, I don't know :D All my shoes and boots are size 6, but then all my shoes and boots are docs, with only a couple of exceptions, and have been for around 30 years :hmm:

22. Fedayn

Fedayn Diffidati con noi

Been wearing them for 30 years, always been a bit of a fucker to break in.

23. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw Registered Loser

Only ever had 2 pairs of the proper doc boots, and the black pair were a dream, the red and white check pair (yeah, I know) were an absolute bastard, so much so I never really wore them.

Had a couple of pairs of their mary janes which have been pretty much perfect from the get-go. Might dig them out actually, I've been in trainers far too long now.

24. Vintage Paw

To be fair though, when I was wearing my black docs I barely ever did the laces up. Twas in that dark era of long flowery skirts and massive socks, so the docs stayed loose and open :p

25. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

nothing wrong with skirts and docs man! The 90s nevere died :mad:

26. scumbalina

scumbalina Scummy Mummy

Ahhhhh....teamed with a floppy velvet hat, and with purple laces, them was the (ugly ugly) days...

27. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

I bought two pairs of DM shoes about two years ago but I couldn't cope with the pain of wearing them in. Odd, because I wore them all the time in my 20s and never had a problem (boots and shoes). I ended up giving them away, and they were over £50 each!

28. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

I can take the wearing them in bit, but the fact that they never come that comfortable is grating. Their much vaunted 'Air Soles' or whatever they are, are shit - they offer rubbish heel support and absorption really. I persisted with docs through much of my school days and beyond, but they're just not that nice to wear imo.

29. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

Are they the ones with a zip down the side?

30. Vintage Paw

I never did have a floppy velvet hat, but maaaaaaan did I ever want one. So, so bad. I did have a rather fetching long, baggy black jumper that had lots of holes in it though. Finished the ensemble off nicely.