1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google’s low cost iPad-killing Asus built Android tablet launching next Wednesday?

Discussion in 'mobiles and tablets' started by Kid_Eternity, Jun 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Swiftly following on from Microsofts much hyped Surface launch comes rumours and a pic about Google's alleged upcoming cheapy Android tablet. A 200-250 quid tablet done properly could be a success...

[​IMG]

Source.
  2. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

Looks like a phone from the back.
  3. Kid_Eternity

Indeed, something like the Galaxy Note.
  4. Cid

Cid Degenerate Scum

To be fair I think preconceptions are probably skewed slightly by the 'phone arena' logo, could easily be any size. I hope this collaboration works out, Asus have always made good stuff but are somewhat lacking on the publicity side - if it does it could produce some very interesting products.
  5. editor

Their Transformer tablet and Zenbook ultrabook products are absolutely superb. They're just not trendy like some makers.
  6. r0bb0

r0bb0 wheres my balloon

the spec according to gizmodo , hopefully they will have kept a little something back to tantalize us with at launch:
    http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/06/this-is-googles-new-nexus-tablet-the-nexus-7/

As rumoured, Google’s going to announce a 7-inch, Nexus-branded tablet called the Nexus 7. According to the leak, it’s built by Asus, with a 1.3Ghz quad-core Tegra 3 processor, GeForce 12-core GPU and 1GB of RAM with two different storage variants: 8GB and 16GB.
    The Nexus tablet will also feature NFC and run Google Wallet (probably only in the US) and Android Beam.
    The screen is an IPS display with a 178-degree viewing angle, running a resolution of 1280×800. The device will also sport a 1.2-megapixel front-facing camera. The battery will also give you nine hours worth of operation.
    The 8GB model will set you back $US199 and the 16GB will cost $US249. No word in the document on local prices.
  7. Kid_Eternity

That all looks believable...
  8. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

They've been running the internet cafes (and showcasing their hardware) at some of the really hip European fashion trade shows that I go to, for some time. I'm not ashamed to wave my lovely bamboo ultraportable about in public that's for sure.
  9. peterkro

peterkro I sing this for the Crickets.

Due I spy a transgression of Apples rounded corners on an electronic device patent,this will all end in tears I tell ye.:)
  10. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Stealth Llama

WiFi only or will it have 3/4G options?
  11. Kid_Eternity

Here's the iPad killer in all it's glory:

[​IMG]

Google dude talks on video:

No SD card? Well that's it fucked then, everyone knows you can't sell an Android tablet without an SD card, it's their killer USP..! :D
    RaverDrew likes this.
  12. Macabre

Macabre digiratti

Big turn off for me too, the appeal of a 7 inch tablet for me is the portability. Having to stream stuff on the go is bollocks. Hopefully the other 7inch tablets will drop in price due to this coming out, there is an Acer tablet that looks good.
  13. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I don't think many others will drop to this sort of price since they will really struggle to make profit at such prices, and unlike Google they have no other reason to want to sell them unless they actually make profit.
  14. editor

Why does the thread title say "iPad killing"?
  15. souljacker

souljacker Eggs Bread Cigs Milk

I thought you worked in the technology media?
  16. Kid_Eternity

He's just doing his usual trolling, call him on it and he'll flounce yelling about how he owned an iPhone back in 1964 for three days...he doesn't like any threads which aren't glowingly positive about Google on urban75.;)
  17. Kid_Eternity

I reckon Apple could make a 7" and make a profit.
  18. editor

It's not intended to be an 'iPad killer' nor is it likely to ever be one.
  19. editor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.