1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good fantasy not set in a medieval setting

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Santino, Jun 19, 2012.

1. frogwoman

frogwoman I welcome your experience

there's a great series - i forget what its called now - set in a roman empire that lasted up until today.

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Sailing to Byzantium

more than one i think you'll find

Random likes this.
  3. frogwoman

i cant even remember what its called :mad: it's written by a woman tho and came out in the last couple of years.

4. Pickman's model

you'll have to do better than that :rolleyes:

5. frogwoman

6. Pickman's model

:(

7. Cid

Cid Degenerate Scum

Are you sure it's not written by a certain Robert Silverberg? :hmm:

8. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

First one was called Romanitas. Started it and abandoned it. I think some characters had magic powers, which is one too many 'things' for me. I also thought the historical development was poor.

frogwoman likes this.
  9. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

deffo not. Silverburgs roman adventure is brilliant, he kills off mo in a causal manner. sacridelicious.

10. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Ready to Riot

Not fantasty. Historical fiction. First two books have enough well researched science and period detail to commend them - but after that it descends into Ugg and Grug meets Mills and Boon/Wank fantasy; handsome dark skinned cave man with an enourmous throbbing manhood make our heorine quiver - but what about her feelings for the tall handsome, blonde, blue eyed caveman with his enourmous throbbing manhood.

Random and JimW like this.
  11. frogwoman

yer this is it i think.

12. frogwoman

to be fair it's been a good couple years since i read it, and not being familiar with that genre, i was impressed

an example of a fantasy book that started off well and went shit? Angelology :mad:

13. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

This

Try A history maker as a good starter

14. He sure did. I remember it being reviewed in Starburst at the time & wanting to get it. Completely forgot about it until recently (was mentioned in the appendix to Kim Newman's vampire epic Anno Dracula) & saw it in the charity shop the other day but was in shit condition and the print is too small for my eyes.

Anyways, I recommend said Anno Dracula, set in Victorian London and a collision of lots of literary characters, pre dating Alan Moore's LoEG by about a decade, I reckons.

15. Santino

So, what I'm hearing is that nearly every example of non-pseudo-medieval fantasy is set in an alternate Earth of some description.

Right, that's it. I'm starting on a new Game of Thrones-style epic, but with an early modern-style setting. PM me if you want to collaborate. Dottie, this means you.

Random likes this.
  16. DotCommunist

I'm actually astonished that you find the non-trad tolkienesque fantasy fiction to be...fantasy versions of other epochs.

How did you imagine it going, a complete new world- try Aldiss 'Helluiconia' cycle.is sci fi though. sort of. also Malacia Tapestry.

how do you imagine a non trad fantasy setting that isn't veering into 'mundane' sci fi would go?

17. Santino

My point is there are no (or almost no) fantasy versions of other epochs. Most non-medieval fantasy seems to be set on Earth. The actual Earth (albeit with a changed history), not an Earth-like planet. Where's the 17th century equivalent of Westeros? Where are the Elven bronze age empires?

I think a baroque fantasy world could be awesome. Elven riflemen square off against dwarf grenadiers. Orc pikemen are cannon fodder for privileged autocrats battling puritan radicals.

Random likes this.
  18. DotCommunist

the nameless marksmen had rifles worked in script unknown to us. They spoke traders tongue and were running, an albino troop with pinpoint accuracy and filed teeth

God save us from what mde such men run

etc. I'll get back to you on this cos you are wrong but I have not the time to explain why

19. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

What about Philip Pullman and his polar bear kingdoms etc?

20. Santino

It's still Earth.

21. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

The Archipelago in Le Guin's Wizard of Earthsea is not medieval Europe either, is it? Most people non-white and those that are (Tombs of Atuan lot IIRC) not medieval Euro cultures. Magic based on Taoist stuff, at least in part.

krtek a houby likes this.
  22. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

So you're after Warhammer 40k? :D

23. Santino

I think there are a few East Asian-set fantasies knocking around. Still medieval in technology and flavour though.

The Otori books are set in a fantasy Japan, but the subtle references to Christianity suggest it may still be an alternate Earth.

24. Santino

Warhammer 40k is still based in our universe. You're thinking of Warhammer Fantasy.

25. DotCommunist

liberal let down ennit

26. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Can't argue with that. Nothing else coming to mind in the vein you want.

27. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

I had someone on at me for ages to give them a try, started off and I thought it really was going to be another sub Billy Bunter public school type thing with her at alter-Oxford, but first book was OK, then seem to remember it tailing off.

28. DotCommunist

Subtle Knife is well worth the time. He sells out later.

29. DotCommunist

although I do have to give thmbs up to a man who worked armoured sentient bears into the take. Fair nuff that man

30. Santino

Part 3 makes no sense at all.