1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

girls aloud's new single - "the promise"

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by dodgepot, Sep 15, 2008.

1. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

I'm not a fan of all their stuff (and the new single sounds like the old theme tune to Blankety Blank) but "Biology" is the best pure pop single, well, ever really :)
  2. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

"The Promise" still doesn't seem to be up on slsk. :(
  3. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Ezekiel 23:20

4. killer b

killer b away.

yep, it's really good. wasn't expecting anything else though, as long as it wasn't a cover... they don't do good covers (although 'stand by you' on that live show they keep showing on channel 4 sounded ace)
  5. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy

well what you said there says it all really. is it fashionable these days to like them or somethin?

its really pretty crap music though dodgepot - even if it is 'fashionable' its still pretty shit.
  6. Cheesypoof

listened to it, AND watching the vid, im tryin to like them but i just cant - they are absolutely shit, IMO. The song isnt even funky, I've listened to it three times,and its just shit!!

i DO however think they are gorgeous and can sing, and i like cheryl coles personality on xfactor, she seems cool. I can only judge on the music though and i expected theyre songs to be better considering they are probably playing on their looks and being able to hold a tune.

they are just like the All Saints or one of them equally shit groups but All Saints were better. Can you imagine one of Girls Aloud trying to make it as a solo 'artist?' It wouldnt happen. Theyre just a package.
  7. Voley

Voley "Dave From Ireland"

Cheryl would have a very successful solo career.

And probably will at some point.
  8. Cheesypoof

like a female robbie williams maybe.

and without her looks she would be a nobody.
  9. Voley

Nah, I don't agree, cheesy. Since this X-Factor thing I think people like her as a person now - you've said that yourself. Before this, I only knew her as the one of Girls Aloud that's married to a footballer, now I think of her as someone that's basically alright and pretty genuine.

Personality and looks go a long way in the world of pop. If she left Girls Aloud tomorrow, got a halfway decent songwriter to reel off a few reasonable R&B-ish songs, roped in a vaguely credible producer, had the obligatory sexy video and carried on with the X Factor too, she'd sell shitloads of records. That's what I'd do if I was her manager, anyhow. Bet I'd be retiring to the Caribbean in a couple of years. :D
  10. Cheesypoof

yep i suppose. 80% packaging 20% talent, the GA music is just bad though IMO.
  11. Voley

I've never heard a song by them that was any good, either, tbf.
  12. dodgepot

dodgepot New Member

eh? people like them cos they like them. why do you think it must be something to do with trying to be fashionable? that's lame.
  13. blooper

blooper New Member

Coming from a fan of Pete Doherty I think that's a pretty positive statement. I'd be worried if you liked them; I'd have to question all my other beliefs if I ever had to respect one of your opinions.
  14. andy2002

andy2002 To the Bat-poles!

My favourite GA song - an underrated pop gem! Funny how no one mentions Sound Of The Underground any more which is also terrific.
  15. Fictionist

Fictionist Serving Eargasms....

It's not something I want to hear again.

Ever.

:p
  16. Cheesypoof

me neither, lol! :D
  17. stavros

Rarely has an act ever had a better pair of first singles. I do love "SOTU" too, but "NGA" still just edges it for me too.

Given that "The Promise" is emerging now, is it safe to assume that we'll get an album for Christmas like usual? :cool:
  18. trevhagl

trevhagl Famous author , company CEO

Eh? You reckon better than "All Out Attack" and "Never Surrender"?
    Or "Megalomania" and Stark Raving Normal"? I think there's too many drugs going round here
  19. stavros

Don't know who they're by so I can't comment. And I did say "rarely".
  20. Tank Girl

Tank Girl ........

oh yes, the album comes out in november I think :cool:
  21. dodgepot

dodgepot New Member

22. trevhagl

Blitz and The Blood. Don't expect Girls Aloud!
  23. dodgepot

dodgepot New Member

i bet they're fantastic.
  24. Paulie Tandoori

Paulie Tandoori shut it you egg!

do you think Girls Aloud should cover Warriors by Blitz? i reckon it might just work you know.
  25. dodgepot

dodgepot New Member

i can't comment, as i've never (knowingly) heard it. although i'm sure i can sort of guess how it *might* sound :hmm:
  26. Paulie Tandoori

Paulie Tandoori shut it you egg!

27. dodgepot

dodgepot New Member

yeah. i guessed as much ;)
  28. trevhagl

Who was it who covered the Spice Girls, was that Wat Tyler or someone?
  29. El Jefe

El Jefe .. the Rural Juror

Snuff.
  30. trevhagl

Not the best choice for a single that. The Lp had classics like "Scream" and "Propaganda" etc, one of the best LP's ever.