1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Girl banned from photographing her school lunches

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Dan U, Jun 15, 2012.

1. equationgirl

equationgirl red Clydeside

Arygyll and Bute is the 2nd largest council by area in Scotland - 25th by population - it's not that small.

2. gunneradt

gunneradt Banned Banned

Is it any wonder kids can't eat properly when they dont eat off proper plates. That meal is a disgrace in the picture - where's the gravy and the proper meat?

3. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

4. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Pickman's model likes this.
  5. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

oh, ok (I did skim the thread honest) ... :)

6. salem

salem Well-Known Member

A load of empty fields don't require PR people. The 25th biggest council in Scotland (with less than 90,000 residents) makes it pretty small in my books and certainly not in need of at least 3 PR people.

7. equationgirl

It has Faslane naval base, where nuclear subs are based - so I'm guessing the PR people keep close tabs on that.

And empty fields? Not so many, mostly hills. :rolleyes:

8. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Poster of the Year 2004

Full hills or empty hills?

9. equationgirl

Full of hillwalkers, this time of year.

10. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

From my experience of council PR and schools, it would probably involve some council senior committee head deciding the whole situation had got totally out of (their) control, then going appoplectic and burning the ears off the Director of Education, who in turn would dispatch one of his deputies to put the fear of god into the head teacher and get the thing quashed, as quickly harshly as they could get away with.

The only thing that would scare them more would be if their efforts turned back on them and bit them in the backside, which in this case is exactly what seems to have happened! :D

Not that I had a small role in a few PR "disasters" in my time working in schools, oh no, no, no! ;)

Mrs Magpie likes this.
  11. _angel_

_angel_ urban myth

We had the same thing at school as well!
    You were doing well if you didn't get a load of custard in your first course. Grim.

Das Uberdog likes this.
  12. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

When did schools stop using normal plates?

Edie likes this.
  13. gunneradt

gunneradt Banned Banned

School dinners are a complete bugbear of mine. The worst thing they ever did was gove (freudian slip) kids tons of choice. One meal for a set price - eat it or starve. Never a problem in my day - meat, potatoes, veg, gravy every day virtually.

And put dessert in a separate bowl!!!

Bah!!!

14. pogofish

Nope - Any Faslane PR issues would involve Babcock/Serco and MOD PR, not the council. The Defence Estate in Argyll and Bute - and there is a fair bit of it, is pretty-much a fiefdom of its own and has been at loggerheads with council policy many times before - eg Glen Fruin and Coulport development.

15. _angel_

_angel_ urban myth

I dunno but I remember the metal tray thingie from middle school and that's going back to the early eighties. Tbh their food wasn't too bad most of the time - it was high school it turned to shit they tried to do 'fast food' cafeteria like system except everything was really horribly done. Stale pizza and nasty tough burgers. Urgh
    There was no choice at primary and that was okay but these days more aware of veggies, caeliacs, allergies etc and religious stuff.
    All I remember seeing at my sons school was what looked like quite small portion sizes which might be okay for the 5 year olds but not really enough for a permanently hungry teenage boy.

eta: there's not any real need to go back to the 1970s red meat at least twice a day tho!

Minnie_the_Minx likes this.
  16. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

The school I work in got tray plates and I complained to the head that it made it look like a prison, they got rid :cool:

Greebo, Edie and Minnie_the_Minx like this.
  17. Daniel

Daniel DelusionalDancer Since1991

I'm watching the page views, they are flying up.

18. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

I've worked in schools for years and I've never seen plates like that. They look like HM Prison issue. Heavy duty melamine-type plates are standard school issue, in London, anyway.

19. equationgirl

I'm not saying the council would issue PR statements about the base, but they'd want to be kept aprised of anything, surely?

20. Mrs Magpie

Actually, the 'grab and go' type meals you see in secondary schools are increasingly being served in cardboard cartons eg pasta salad, stuff like that

21. gunneradt

gunneradt Banned Banned

it's better than eating turkey twizzlers.

Meals should be hot, with gravy, not cold in a tiny container.

Veggies can always have packed lunch. Don't really see how kids can have chosen to be veggies - they can always eat the hot meal without the meat bit.

22. _angel_

_angel_ urban myth

My sis is currently a temp dinner lady in some private posh school in Cheltenham. I'll have to ask her what the dinners are like! She gets a free meal with it so if she's eating it it must be quite good.. she's quite picky.

23. Minnie_the_Minx

Remind me of the metal trays the Royal Navy used to use/probably still does :D

24. pogofish

Not particularly - They have a history of being very tight-lipped round there, not least because the highly mobile and reactive protestors at Faslane have this annoying habit of turning-up at anything before anyone else! ;)

I also remember a time when there was a very obviously disabled Trident Sub floating just off one of the towns on Bute and the council were stuck with the MOD line that there was nothing there and there would be nothing wrong with it anyway. We could hear them hammering hard under a tent over the missile hatches from the shore!

equationgirl likes this.
  25. equationgirl

What, scrape the mashed potato off shepherd pie and give them that? Or just the peas or carrots or whatever hot veg goes with it? Hardly nutritious.

Kids might not have 'chosen' to be vegetarian in the same way that many adults have, but some might not like the taste/texture of meat. Doesn't mean they shouldn't get a hot meal if they want one.

26. _angel_

_angel_ urban myth

Don't be silly, if you're paying the same as everyone else it's fair enough to expect the same amount of food.
    Of course kids can choose to be veggies. I think I was 16 when I became veggie and had two more years at school. I didn't really eat school dinners at all at high school they were so gross. And my parents so tight that that £3 a week was the only real money I had until I got a part time job.

27. _angel_

_angel_ urban myth

I was slightly surprised at allowing a kid to have a camera/ phone on them during the day actually.

Greebo likes this.
  28. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

I have never had a turkey twizzler :(

29. Minnie_the_Minx

They're not stopping at all :D

30. Mrs Magpie

She asked permission and the school said yes.

Greebo likes this.