1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fujifilm X100 - stunning, rangerfinder-style compact looks fantastic

Discussion in 'cameras and camera gear' started by editor, Sep 20, 2010.

1. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

Yes please.

[​IMG]

2. editor

First impressions review:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/5022/fujifilm-finepix-x100-first-look

3. stowpirate

stowpirate skinflintish camera nut

Is there going to be raw output option or is it limited to jpg only as with all other exr based cameras?

4. cybertect

cybertect Now up West

Well, the £300 Fuji HS10 does RAW, so I'd expect this to.

edit: As does the S200EXR. The main issue is third-party RAW converter compatibility - specifically Adobe as there are a few others that now support it.

5. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

If Fujifilm are aiming to compete with the Panasonic LX5 with this more expensive camera then it must have a RAW output option. It would be a waste of the quality of the combined lens and sensor not to. Also all other top-of-the range compacts have it.

6. cybertect

cybertect Now up West

IIRC, it took Adobe ages to build support for LX-3 RAW files into ACR/Lightroom.

7. stowpirate

stowpirate skinflintish camera nut

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf200exr/page2.asp

"However, these additional sensor modes do mean that some unusual image processing is required, prompting Fujifilm not to provide the RAW sensor data output capability some potential users have asked for."

Reading this I have a feeling that the raw output on these later exr based cameras is going to be some form of post processing after thought trickery.

Forgetting the raw option if they can get the price down to something more realistic I might buy one. It looks similar to a Leica M1.

[​IMG]

The HS10 has a sensor which is different to the exr.

8. cybertect

cybertect Now up West

9. starfish2000

starfish2000 Well-Known Member

Its a bit pointless though is it not. I mean what I want is a digital rangefinder with good interchangable lenses. Basically a digital version of this.

[​IMG]

I mean I know you all bang on about the Panasonic Lumix GF-1, but I had a go on one the other day and with that compact zoom on it, its still less discreet than a G2 or Leica M6.

10. editor

Not exactly cheap though, are they?

11. starfish2000

A used Contax G2 body is £350-450, A 45 mm Planar is £175-200. Most minilabs do hi-res scanning now. Leicas are expensive, but they'll last a lifetime.

12. editor

. and then there's the hefty cost of film and developing, and the lack of convenience and speed compared to digital etc.

13. Cm7

Cm7 Well-Known Member

The X100 looks good. I love retro digital.
    That or a Leica would make me very happy :D

14. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

You forgot the painfully-high servicing costs for the Leicas and Contaxes.

15. starfish2000

I've never serviced my G2 it works fine. Leica maybe. Film & developing.....hmmm maybe, but its not that bad.

I just think why spank close to a grand on something thats just "in the style of". Id rather have a proper rangefinder.

16. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards Sort of like a real Bohemian. Sort of.

How isn't it a 'proper rangefinder'?

I've pretty much decided to buy one. I am a big, big fan of the Contax G2 and will keep mine. I'll also keep my Aria's, and I'll keep my 1950's (still working perfectly) Fuji RF as 100% mechanical back-up. The retro look of this camera may make some people think it's a gimic. I think it's a very 'natural' RF development in the context of digital.

Depends just how good the lens turns out to be for me. Essentially, that is my biggest want - quality optics on a small body.

17. mincepie

mincepie Everday lurker!

I want one too! Is this the perfect companion to a SLR kit - something smaller for "casual" photography but with the ability to get short DOF etc...

Bye Bye my LX3.

(Except the price!)

18. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

If you want to get the same "short DOF" on your LX3 as they get on the X100, just get the filter adapter and some Neutral Density filters. This can be used to enable the use of the widest f/2 aperture even in bright light. All that the X100 does that is different is to have the ND filters built in.

EDITED TO ADD

Trying to get limited depth of field on a wide angle lens is like whistling into the wind though. At least with the LX3 you can zoom to 70mm to help the cause.

19. starfish2000

Interchangeable optics. A small range of well placed lenses would make it much more appealing.

20. editor

21. Paul Russell

Paul Russell Psychogeographer

Yes, it's still looking good.

22. Tankus

Tankus random farter

23. Stanley Edwards

Any release date yet?

I'm ready to buy and running out of time. If it doesn't come along soon I may have to look at alternatives even though my heart is set on this.

24. paolo

paolo Member You're a Womble

A fetish camera. If it was in a rubbish case, people would see it for what it is functionally.

25. Stanley Edwards

Show me a prime lens RF that is more functional. A purists camera maybe. The fact that it looks extra cool just adds to the appeal of a very functional fixed lens RF. They're selling it on the lens quality, so expect it to be as good as all FujiFilm's other top end lenses - almost unbeatable.

The functionality of the hy-brid viewfinder can't be argued with can it? Some people spend more than €1K on crap lenses just because they have big zooms.

Each to their own I guess. My eye is more lens critical and appreciated of a spot 'standard' focal length. That is the 'reality' of photography that appeals to me. No doubt many will buy on looks alone, but it is potentially a very functional tool.

26. editor

An optical viewfinder displaying digital exposure info on a rangefinder-like compact isn't a fetish camera. It's what I've been after for years.

Still, I'll wait and see what this turns out like in the flesh.

27. paolo

paolo Member You're a Womble

@stanley oWho wants range finder cameras?

(Answer: Almost nobody)

If it was in boring plastic case, would you want it? (Maybe you would)

28. editor

I've wanted this in a digital compact for ages too:

29. Bernie Gunther

Bernie Gunther Fundamentalist Druid

I thought it wasn't a rangefinder? Just dressed like one ...

30. editor

I said rangefinder-like. Not sure how else you'd describe it