1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Fri 15th Jun 2012] "For me, always it is Hegel,Hegel, Hegel - but people just want the... (London)

Discussion in 'theory, philosophy & history' started by love detective, Jun 15, 2012.

"For me, always it is Hegel,Hegel, Hegel - but people just want the...
Start Date: Fri 15th Jun 2012 05:00 PM
End Date: Sat 16th Jun 2012 06:00 PM
Time Zone: Europe/London +01:00 BST

18-22 Ashwin Street
London

Posted By: love detective

Confirmed Attendees: 0
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
  1. love detective

love detective secret pint

Zizek Dingle All Nighter!

"For me, always it is Hegel,Hegel, Hegel - but people just want the shitty politics"

I'd rather use my own shite as toothpaste than spend 24 hours with a load of Zizek fanboys but fairplay on his sense of humour/self awareness

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    History is made at night
    A 24-hour event to launch Slavoj Zizek's masterwork on the Hegelian legacy

Less Than Nothing
    Hegel and the Shadow of Dialectical Materialism
    Friday 15 - Saturday 16 June at Cafe OTO, 18-22 Ashwin Street, London E8 3DL

"I am writing a mega-book about Hegel. It is a true work of love. This is my true life's work. Even Lacan is just a tool for me to read Hegel. For me, always it is Hegel,Hegel, Hegel - but people just want the shitty politics." Slavoj Zizek

About the event:
    Verso is pleased to present History is made at night: a special event over 24 hours at Cafe Oto to launch Less Than Nothing, the new book by the radical philosopher,polymath, film star and cult icon, Slavoj Zizek.

The event will start with a seminar introducing the thought of Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel given by philosopher and writer Iain Hamilton Grant. Zizek will then give a talk, and there will be an opportunity to ask questions and have books signed during a break after the talk.

'Only when the dusk starts to fall does the owl of Minerva spread its wings and fly.' Hegel, Philosophy of Right

An overnight read-in for night owls and dreamers will begin at 10.30pm: a collective event of reading and performing philosophy, bringing into play the questions around language, subjectivity and experience explored in the book.

Visit versobooks.com for more information

Schedule:
    17.30 (Friday): Doors open
    18.30-19.30: Introducing Hegel - a seminar with Iain Hamilton Grant
    20.00-21.30: Talk by Slavoj Zizek & book signing
    21.30-22.30: Break & doors open for reading
    22.30 (Friday)-17.30 (Saturday): Readings from Less Than Nothing
    Tickets:

SOLD OUT Entrance to Zizek's talk. This ticket price also allows you to stay all night at for the readings.

Free Anyone taking part and reading a section gets in free and can bring two guests in for free to the reading ONLY.

4 pounds Anyone not signed up to take part for the reading only.

Spanky Longhorn likes this.
  2. phildwyer

phildwyer Gorau arf arf dysg

Wankers.

3. Captain Hurrah

Captain Hurrah STALINIST Banned

4. love detective

love detective secret pint

5. articul8

articul8 Guilty of Idealism

Don't Hegel fans like football :confused:

6. revol68

revol68 what, fucking what?

He's just a big massive goth really.

And yeah he's more interesting when he's giving interesting takes on Hegel than when he's talking some shit about Lenin and the courage to manage the state.

7. revol68

also will do cyber for anyone who buys me that book, fucking £42 on Amazon!

8. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

It's verso - it'll be leaked pretty soon. Even their employees hate them.

9. revol68

i do need to get myself a kindle.

10. butchersapron

11. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Got one parasite stylee cos a mate was skint and selling anything not nailed down; those piles of unread pdfs have come to life.

12. revol68

Cheers. My ma is back from holiday tomo, will steal her kindle for this.

13. Pickman's model

Pickman's model highway to hell

i don't suppose i should be too surprised he's having it in one of the new yuppie art places in dalston.

14. revol68

well better that than at Marxism 2012.

15. revol68

804 pages that book is, that explains the £42 price tag.

16. butchersapron

Verso charge £20 for 150 page books.

17. killer b

killer b Oh Yeah Baby

Is cafe oto a yuppie place? Never been, but they have a great programme of events. If they have to let a few yuppies in to keep that going, fairplay imo.

18. revol68

really? I've always found them more reasonable than a lot of publishers, Pluto Press in particular take the piss.

all their classic radical thinkers text are pretty decent prices.

They are however a bit shite at dealing with wholesale orders.

19. Pickman's model

Pickman's model highway to hell

i wouldn't be so pissed of with verso if the binding of their books was worth the price of the book. it's all too often shoddy and shite

20. butchersapron

Try ordering a 5 grands worth of book off them and their relative crapness becomes clear. People well nice but bung a popular name on it, and whack the price up - their commercial model is low volume high price and sold to mugs who have to have the latest. Which means at some point in the cycle we (the shop) have to fork out at that money.

21. Idris2002

Idris2002 why is richmond out of his room?

What sort of print runs does Verso do?