1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Foreign aid to India

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Edie, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member Enforced Holiday

The UK will give £800 million to India in foreign aid, a country that has it's own space programme and nuclear weapons. Why are we continuing to give India huge amounts of money when their own government and upper classes clearly don't give a fuck? Does giving that amount of foreign aid actually allow the Indian government an excuse to not do anything about it's citizens starving and going without healthcare?

Also, can we really be giving away that much money when we're cutting public sector funding so hard? Or does the fact that our country is so wealthy off the back of colonising countries like India mean we owe them this?

I'm waaaay out of my depth really, other than a feeling that no matter how bad things are here if people are starving in other countries then we should give them what we can afford. Whether that's £800 million I'm not sure given the huge amount of debt we're in.

(If you could try and avoid too many of these :facepalm: in your answers that would be great :D)
  2. g force

g force Affects Shatner's Basoon

The price of colonial guilt
  3. TitanSound

TitanSound Mr Beardy Drummer

It baffles me as well. Plus we send millions in aid to China of all places also. Would be interesting to know the reasons behind this
  4. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

It's all about boosting private sector business ties and military links/geostrategic interests http://www.irinnews.org/Report.aspx?ReportId=89368:
  5. g force

g force Affects Shatner's Basoon

Yeah that's brown envelope money though not publicly budgeted stuff ;)
  6. Edie

Apparently we don't anymore. But on Radio 4 this was explained as being because the average Chinese citizen earns 3 x the amount the average Indian citizen does.
  7. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

In China we'd moved on to 'technical aid' for the most part quite a while back - pilot projects to introduce 'advanced international techniques' and so on. Project I used to work on that was things like participatory planning - we applied for and got funding from DFiD for various of our programmes as I recall.
  8. Edie

But why would we want to do that? :confused: Don't we fucking owe them a shitload of money? Why are we helping them out with technology when they seem to have it pretty much sewn up?
  9. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

We give aid in our own interests really. The money is always given to the government - not the people of a 'developing' country to enable it to develop. As they develop they need supplies and technical help. They spend the aid money on companies that belong to the country giving the aid, probably because conditions are attached to the aid. It brings them on to our side and within our sphere of influence on the political map of the world. It is cheaper than trying to 'bomb them into the stone age' which is the American method, and usually more effective because it extends our influence and makes friends rather than enemies. I suppose it is a kind of economic and more subtle and sophisticated version of the old Victorian 'imperialism'. We are creating customers for our goods and our 'invisible exports' like finance, insurance, higher education.
  10. butchersapron

butchersapron shoot 'em in the back

Seriously - do people really think this is a birthday present or something?
  11. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

'Technical' in the sense of best practices rather than nuts and bolts stuff - ways to manage projects that are touchy-feely and avoid too much corruption etc (UK were doing stuff like teaching police how to interview suspects without using torture as well IIRC - maybe they got officers from the old RUC in on that :D). The non-cynical view is that as citizens of the same planet it's in everybody's interests for China to develop sustainably and if we can help with that we should; the cynical view is like I said about India, it's a way to curry favour with one of the emerging economies that puts you at the head of any queue to get involved in money-making opportunities
  12. butchersapron

Exactly - why is China aiding Iran and just about every single country in Africa right now? Big picture folks.
  13. Edie

That's a good reply. Although apparently
  14. zenie

zenie >^^<

racist ;):D

Does seem bonkers when we borrow off them Edie, but of course we like to think we set the example and should finance and facilitate the growth of developing countries. Does it really work in our favour? :confused:
  15. Edie

Must do I suppose, if you take the cynical view that it's only to further our own interests. Probably a mix of wanting to do the right thing, and developing trade opportunities.
  16. Edie

17. butchersapron

That is the right thing.
  18. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Can't speak to the situation in India, which while a basket case does have a healthy 'civil society', but in my time looking at international aid here it was well seen that the major beneficiaries were local 'gate-keepers' who could speak English and had learned how to tick all the PC boxes that donors expected when handing over the cash - gender, minorities etc. These were all state-backed research institutes etc. that set themselves up as one-stop shops for the various development tourism junkets that blew through town. In fairness, groups like Oxfam did their best to find grassroots partners - they channelled their money thru their Hong Kong sister organisation which meant they had Chinese speakers on the job, and to my knowledge they were helping fund a legal centre supporting injured workers getting accident compensation and similar worthwhile stuff.
  19. Edie

Fair point.
  20. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

I used the phrase "speculating to accumulate" to describe foreign aid on a thread last week, but your description hits the spot more accurately. :)
  21. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

it works in favour of whichever major corporates have sweetheart deals with the govt
  22. Dr Jon

Dr Jon so many beers, too little time Banned

This is interesting. Particularly given the vigorous denials that India needs / receives aid, that you hear from Indian politicians.

Mind you, there is no credibility gap between Brit & Indian politicians these days - they're all lying, loathsome shits...
    :(
  23. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

24. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Heh not likely that would be a far higher figure if true...
  25. little_legs

little_legs Поехали!

thanks for the heads up. had a look at the mpi measuring thingie on the OPHI's page, they really went for it (i.e. it's no longer about income per household):

26. Dr Jon

Dr Jon so many beers, too little time Banned

Ah-ha.
    I guess this is part of Cameron's push to get new trade deals.

He'd better hope the bribe was paid to the right person..
    :)

link
  27. Random

Random Ethnic nalgocrat

Isn't most of this 'aid' locking in, through agreements, to be actually spent on British companies, anyway?
  28. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

29. Pingu

Pingu Officially "Cool as Shit"

/necromance

heard an article on the radio today on this. TBH I am struggling to get my head round why we give money to india. they have a 2 billion space programme and a huge aid system of their own so why are we giving 280 million (2010 figure according to a google) to them?

Yes i get that there is extreme poverty there but surely India should address that itself if it has money to splash about.

educate me hippy types as to why we do it.
  30. Teaboy

Teaboy Tryhard wannabe

Because India is a rapidly growing economy and we want to be their bestest mates, so all our finest in British industry can go over there and mop up loads of lucrative contracts. That and BAE were trying to flog them loads of warplanes, fact lot of use it did though.

The British foreign aid budget is rarely about aid.