1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FOR SALE bargain house in Poets' Corner

Discussion in 'Brixton Noticeboard' started by hel9a, May 30, 2011.

1. bluestreak

bluestreak HomosexualityIsStalin’sAtomBombtoDestroyAmerica

i like your kitchen better too :D

2. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

They haven't got a garden, just a potential roof terrace which needs planning permission.

3. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

Sorry, the 'outside space' needs work :D

4. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

Can't put plants in tubs on that unless you get a surveyor in to check it's safe to take the weight. Also it could cause damp problems in the room underneath. Flat roofs are a complete nightmare.

5. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

I doubt its any easier to place plants in tubs on sloping roofs.

6. Laughing Toad

Laughing Toad Turn the volume down please.

There's a six bed detached house here for 280k. Two acres of land too.

[​IMG]

7. Ms T

Quite a long way from London though.

8. ymu

ymu Niall Ferguson's deep-cover sock-puppet

Pfft. Who cares?

Still can't afford it.

9. Ms T

It's annoying to those of us who live in London when people point out that you can get a lot more for a lot less in other places in the country. Like the Orkneys. Yes, I know that but my job and friends are in London and guess what, I actually like living here.

10. trashpony

trashpony The kittens are taking over the world

It's completely fucking pointless too :D

11. ymu

Yeah. And the rest if us have to fork out a fortune in housing benefit so you lot can afford to live in that glorious(ly unaffordable) city. At leat allow us to point and laugh at the stupidity of it. It's that or cry tbh.

12. spanglechick

spanglechick Lying in the gutter, looking like a star.

say what?

13. Mrs Magpie

I didn't understand that post either.

14. ymu

If everyone who worked in low paid jobs in London had to be paid enough to live there, no one else would be able to afford to live there.

Cities like London can't exist without taxes from the provinces.

15. Mrs Magpie

That's not actually true. The UKs biggest tax revenue comes from the South East.

16. ymu

It's not the fault of people who have to live and work there, but single person rents that are unaffordable on wages paid for a full-time worker are not right.

17. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus would be a rubbish god

Not many people in London who are working full-time claim housing benefit, tbf. If you don't live in social housing, you're likely to be in a shared house, not in your own flat.

And anyway, it's not the workers who are being subsidised. It's the landlords.

18. GarfieldLeChat

GarfieldLeChat fucking awesome but wrong

bollocks....

as most of the jobs and money made by the country comes from London and is div'ved up to the rest of the country how the hell do you work that out??

19. spanglechick

true - whch is my most people in that situation live in shared accommodation. and certainly aren't eligible for housing benefit. which at any rate is more than covered by the tax revenue contributed by people who live here.

your original point is just bizarre.

20. ymu

Doesn't matter.

How many shops/restaurants/hotels/theatres would there be in London if they had to have a viable business plan based on no housing benefits or tax credits to support the workers?

London can't exist in its current form without massive subsidy from the poor (the taxpayer) to the rich (those who can afford a decent place in London without social housing, benefits or tax credits, and the businesses that can pay huge rents and poverty wages).

I'll see if I can find figures on the size of the benefits subsidy to the SE.

21. littlebabyjesus

Um, the 'rich' are in the main the ones charging the massive rents, not those struggling to pay them. The majority of single people not in social housing in London who work live in shared housing and don't claim any form of housing benefit. Housing benefit inflates private rents to an extent, making landlords rich, nobody else.

And I'm sorry, but do you know how much they leave you to live on with housing benefit? I'll tell you. It is the dole plus ten quid (or was the last time I claimed). Such people are not swanning around in shops/restaurants/hotels/theatres. And you just don't work full time if your rent is that high that you have to claim HB. You move somewhere cheaper.

22. Ms T

I have no idea what you're talking about but I don't rent my home or claim housing benefit. And I'm not particularly rich, just lucky enough to have bought a flat a long time ago.

23. Ms T

London subsidises the rest of the country, not the other way round.

24. Ms T

25. mattie

mattie missing in inaction

Cheers London.

26. ymu

Here's the problem caused just by the coalition's proposals. Finding the numbers is trickier. ...

27. littlebabyjesus

What does that have to do with what you posted before. I repeat: full-time workers do not claim housing benefit in London. And if any do, they certainly don't have any disposable income to spend anywhere other than Lidl. Have you ever claimed housing benefit? I don't want to be rude, but you don't seem to understand what it is.

28. spanglechick

wtf has that to do with your claim that the rest of the uk is paying for london's housing benefit?

29. ernestolynch

ernestolynch Banned Banned

Jesus wept nearly £400,000 for a 2-bed flat!

30. ymu

They bloody well do! How on earth do you think people afford the rents! We fork out £400/week if you're unemployed, but if you're on minimum wage you'll have to pay out more in rent than you earn?

What planet are you on?

There would be no shops, hotels, restaurants or theatres in London without housing benefit. Or rather, London would not exist in its current forn because businesses would not get subsidised on the cost of being there, so they would create jobs somewhere more sensibly priced.

To shop in London is to receive a state subsidy.