1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finsbury Park to Heathrow

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Upchuck, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Upchuck

Upchuck Banned Banned

TFL journey planner gives me two options: travelling on the Piccadilly line straight down or switching tubes and getting the Heathrow Express. The tube is about 15 minutes longer but I think it's easier.

What do you think? Have any of you experiences you can give me? I am going to terminal 3.

2. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

Express.

3. Upchuck

Upchuck Banned Banned

Why?

4. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

Cos it's more comfy and quicker instead of the shitty Piccadilly line and no doubt someone will invade your space and you'll post a whining thread about it.

5. Upchuck

Upchuck Banned Banned

But if I get the Piccadilly line all I have to do is sit until it gets to LHR instead of dragging my cases and swapping tubes.

6. ajdown

ajdown Posting in this thread

The Heathrow Express is an overground train direct non-stop from Paddington. Quicker but more expensive.

You'd have to change tube to get to Paddington.

/anorak

7. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

yeah the tube, of course, there's no argument really.

8. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

What time of day?

9. Upchuck

Upchuck Banned Banned

I'll be boarding the tube at around 7am. I can walk to Fin Park from where I live.

10. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

so rush hour... get the Heathrow Express!

11. Upchuck

Upchuck Banned Banned

TBF I think it is just before rush hour and I should get through the West End by 745 which I think is the ugliets part. Anything further west shouldn't be too bad and I am a shrewd judge of carriage so have no concerns about getting a seat. i think it would be harder to change tubes and drag a laden case up escalators and through hoardes of pedestrians.

12. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

You seem set on getting the Tube. Why bother with the thread?

13. prunus

prunus Oh alright then

Taxi.

14. Upchuck

Upchuck Banned Banned

Because I can't understand why the Heathrow Express would be better but figured there must be a reason. And I want some strong arguments as to why I should not take a direct tube as opposed to swapping and changing. I was worried there might be some huge downside to the tube (apart from work crowds etc) that I was unaware of. That perhaps the tube had a habit of 'sitting' between stations out west or the trek from the tube to the airport was over uneven ground or just a godawful hassle.

15. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

it would be crazy not to get the tube if your going from near a piccadily line station at that time of day. you'll save like £15 each way too

16. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

Well yeah, forgot about that :D:D

Get a cab :D

17. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

yeah if your ever in a situation where you might have to resort to a heathrow express you might as well get a cab, if there's 2 or more of you anyway, form most bits of london. then you get picked up from your door.

18. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

The journey can take over an hour and the tube does stop inbetween stations etc...give yourself plenty of time.

19. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

I thought we did this recently. Finsbury Park one stop to H & I, then London Oveground to somewhere west like Shepherds Bush, and I can't remember the rest . . .

HTH

20. Upchuck

Upchuck Banned Banned

So if I get the tube I'll be ok.

21. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

:D It's a risk upchuck but will be entirely your own decision.

22. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

there's more risk if you start changing trains in the journey, i think.

23. Upchuck

Upchuck Banned Banned

I agree. If I stay on my chosen course I think I will be better served. Part of the reason i got the flight from Heathrow is because it's a damn sight easierto get to than STN or LGW

24. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

If it's a factor, it is cheaper if you avoid Zone 1 though, as the Overground route does.

25. Upchuck

Upchuck Banned Banned

I have a 1-3 monthy ticket and will pay whetevr else it costs to get to the LHR zone on PAYG

26. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

I once took the Piccadilly line to Heathrow from Finsbury Park and it took almost two hours to get there and I very nearly missed my flight. The Express gets there in fifteen minutes, 18 pounds well spent in my opinion. Coming back I'd take the tube with no pressure to get anywhere for a certain time.

27. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

...so why post this thread then? :D

28. Upchuck

Upchuck Banned Banned

Explain these circumstances please.

29. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

Snow, cold, West London overground tube lines.. disaster? :)

Well that's my experience having used to commute to Chiswick daily for 2 years.

30. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

:facepalm: