1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Farmers' market in Brixton

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Planty, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Planty

Planty Well-Known Member

Was earwigging big time in the Ritzy yesterday and heard we're getting our own weekly farmers' market Septemberish.. Didn't catch the details. Anyone know anything about this? - would love to know. Sorry if this has come up before.

2. ajdown

ajdown Posting in this thread

Interesting. I know there's one at Oval already round the big Church.

I thought we already had one outside KFC - or don't the dealers "grow their own" locally any more?

3. Planty

Planty Well-Known Member

4. ajdown

Typical. I'm away that weekend. Oh well, be interesting to see how regular it becomes.

5. brix

brix spinster of this parish

If it gets to be as good as the one at Oval it'll be an excellent addition to the community :cool:

6. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

Didn't they do this last year?? :confused:

7. jezg

jezg Well-Known Member

I got a flyer about this at the Lambeth Country Show, I think it was same people as the Clapham one.

8. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

I hope it's better than the one that used to do the rounds and appear in Crystal Palace from time to time. was just a front for some overpriced olives vendor.

9. ajdown

Don't we already have them on saturdays on KFC corner?

10. twistedAM

Never go to downtown Brixton on a Saturday but seen them on a Friday with some so-so looking dried sausages. The French farmers are colonising our markets with their peasant shite repackaged for British ya-yas ...

11. Onket

Onket Gertcha

Farmer's markets are usually overpriced ridiculousness. I expect this will be no different.

12. brix

But if it brings more people in to shop in Brixton, it has to be a good thing for the local community I would have thought. And yes, they may not be the sort of people I'd necessarily want clogging up the streets :)p) but their money's as good as anyone elses, and if they're helping the local economy that can only be a good thing, surely?

13. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

This^, means the area is going upmarket though

14. twistedAM

It means the companies involved in these markets (let's face it, there aren't many actual farmers directly involved) are looking to expand and seeing if Brixton is worth a punt.

15. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

didn't realise they still had farms in brixton.

16. Cowley

Cowley Well-Known Member

I doubt it, both Norwood & Streatham have Farmer Markets for a while :D

17. Onket

Onket Gertcha

You think it'll bring people to Brixton? I doubt it.

18. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

If they were there last year and coming back again, it means there is enough punters there to pay their bills at least

19. Cowley

Cowley Well-Known Member

For what it's worth I think Brixton will do very well with a Farmers Market, i've wondered why there hasn't been one in Brixton for a while.

20. brix

I think that a farmers' market, combined with Brixton Market, combined with Franco Mancas, combined with several excellent delis will bring people into Brixton, yes.

21. teuchter

teuchter *worse than Sean Connery in every regard*

I thought it was already there, on Saturdays outside KFC.

22. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

The one in St Marks church yard in Oval on Saturdays is lush but pricey.
    We tend to go once a month just after pay day and stock up on Giggly Pig sausages, cheese, veg and sometimes some other kind of treat.

If the Brixton one turns out to be a bit cheaper then we may try that, although I think we will still go to Oval for the sausages, we have fallen in love with them. :oops:

23. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

Well if it's big as the current offering (one stall selling overpriced dried sausages of varying quality, Negril and a patty shack stand) it's not going to draw anything other than passing custom.

I don't really think Franco Manca's benefits its neighbours that much fwiw. That section of the market isn't showing much greater activity or growth anywhere outside the immediate surrounds of Franco and the bulging queue.

24. Onket

Onket Gertcha

I don't. It might get people who live here & commute out to work every day to have a look around at the weekends though.

25. brix

Hopefully it'll be bigger than that and more on a par on what's been happening in Oval.

I think that if we get a critical mass of interesting shops/market stalls/delis then it will bring people in. I don't think Franco Manca's will do that by itself.

We'll have to agree to differ then, but I hope I'm proved right :)

26. ajdown

The TT website says "10am - 2pm Brixton Station Road"

Presumably that'll be just a little larger than 3 stalls on KFC corner?

27. brix

Yeah, that's what I thought.

28. Planty

Planty Well-Known Member

Have you still got it jezg? Does it say who's running it?

29. Onket

Onket Gertcha

See post # 11.

30. brix

:rolleyes: