1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

facepalming academia

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by barney_pig, May 20, 2012.

1. barney_pig

barney_pig Po-cha-na-quar-hip

couple of things I've seen recently, first, academics trying desperately to relate their studies to ignorant and uninterested journalists:
    http://www.metro.co.uk/news/899473-prehistoric-facebook-found-in-images-carved-in-rocks-by-caveman

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

secondly, an email from my department has arrived for another american medievalist conference

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
    :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

what amazes me is that there have been 26 previous conferences (but not all on diversity)
  2. equationgirl

equationgirl red Clydeside

Oh my. Those americans are something else indeed....
    stuff_it likes this.
  3. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

That medievalist conference sound like a classic example of the Fred Flintstone approach to history.
  4. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat roast fishco and cornbread

but have they identified which symbol painted on cave walls means "Like" ?
  5. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

Difficult, I can't find a cave-painted comedy penis anywhere.... :(
    Ax^ likes this.
  6. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

Damn you for beating me to it

*shakes fist at sky*
  7. barney_pig

barney_pig Po-cha-na-quar-hip

((((academics))))
  8. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

Especially not a spunking one.
  9. ViolentPanda

TBF barney, that comes across like people are angling to milk a few inter-disciplinary Brownie (is that word diversity-aware? :hmm: ) points with a bit of sociological analysis of approaches to the "medievalist" field. There's always some cunt(s) willing to inflict it.
  10. ViolentPanda

I suspect there won't be too many people willing to attend purely for the subject matter!!
  11. 8115

8115 doesn't smoke

I think they're just badly written. The first one, the actual subject matter, which I guess is, parallels between early social media communication now and early symbolic paintings (or some shit like that), sounds a bit better like that which to be fair may well have been what came from the academic. Metro have just managed to repackage it into something totally indigestible. I think they do that so you read the adverts, they're better written than the text of it.
  12. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I thought the first one was quite interesting, but they didnt need to bang on about facebook quite so much.

But then I guess it is written for metro readers, so they probably wouldnt understand the link otherwise.
  13. dilute micro

dilute micro esse quam videri

If we don't make up nonsense about the past we'll be doomed to repeat it.