1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everton 09/10 thread

Discussion in 'football' started by agricola, May 29, 2009.

1. big eejit

big eejit Just a poor bastard

There was talk of Steven Taylor from Newcastle too. Presumably all these rumours mean that Moyes has seen the light about £20m for Lescott?
  2. agricola

agricola atomic materialist

Sky reckon Lescott has not trained with the first team squad today.. whether this means he is off remains to be seen.
  3. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

Nor is he in the Europa Cup squad and Moyes is on Sky saying he has let his team mates down.
    City should offer £10 million. One of Onouha, Dunne, Richards or even SuperZab (he can just about play anywhere else in defence and midfield) could step up and do the job beside Toure.
  4. big eejit

5. twistedAM

6. Fedayn

Fedayn Diffidati con noi

I'd rather sell him to another club for exactly what we paid for hi9 after that classless cunt Hughes whining at the weekend. Claiming City as a 'big club'? Big club where? Biggest club in East manchester maybe but 'big club'? Fucking laughable frankly. Claiming Everton put it in the public domain, even though it was after Hughes had been interviewed on TV about the player. Claiming he could phone Moyes and enquire about the player buit there was no point as he would be told Lescott isn't for sale. Hughes is fast becoming the classless cunt he wasn't as a player
  7. twistedAM

Can you quote the context where Hughes says "big club"? Moyes is spinning that one to imply he was saying Everton aren't a big club which iirc (and can't recall where I heard/read it) was not what Hughes was saying.
    I know City have won nothing and we finished 10th last season but any club that can buy Adebayor, Tevez, Santa Cruz and Barry is in the world of football a big club (it could be just temporary but right now, they are playas).
    An alternative viewpoint on all this is that Moyes is (rightly) frustrated with Everton's spending power and is flexing his muscles with the boardroom and trying to maintain he is the one that makes financial decisions about players at the club. I don't think even Ferguson thinks that.
  8. big eejit

I detect the promptings of auld quaver face behind some of Moyes' outrage. I think he's naturally angry but the vehemence of it has me thinking of a playground dispute with Ferguson nudging Moyes into a scrap - "You're not going to let a jumped up small fry talk to ye like that are ye Davey?"
  9. Fedayn

Fedayn Diffidati con noi

Here....

And I quote "I'm not surprised David feels a bit aggrieved with the situation, you always are when a big club is trying to sign one of your best players."

I never implied that it meant Everton weren't a big club, whatever size they're a bigger club than Citeh. I merely pointed to Hughes self-delusion that City are a big club.

No, it's just yet another plaything of a multi-millionaire with a temporary interest in football. City are not a big club, they are merely temporarily rich. By your calculation if a billionaire took over Crewe Alex and did the same they would be a big club..... :rolleyes: A big club has a bit of a history of winning big/major trophies. City's biggest number of cups is the 2nd Div championship, plus the cup winnders cup and 2 top leages titles. The latter two also having been won in a 2 year period by Everton in the 80's

How strange that the manager of a football club might want to decide who is sold etc...... What a weird world that would be.... :rolleyes:
  10. Relahni

Relahni New Member

big club? they are! Even before their cash injection, they are still a big club.

I don't think they are bigger than you lot, richer yeah, but not bigger.

They will be much bigger than you lot in a few seasons.
  11. Fedayn

Fedayn Diffidati con noi

Not sure thay have been a big club for many many years. The term sleeping slightly tall bloke' might be accurate. They may be 'bigger' in the futuire, but in that Chelsea way, ie bigger because of money. Certain higher in the classless stakes nowadays.
  12. Relahni

Relahni New Member

If you had to name the 10 biggest clubs in England, I think they would probably make it.

Off the top of my head.

Liverpool Man Utd Arsenal - these are the three biggest clubs

Everton Spurs Villa Newcastle Man City Chelsea Leeds
  13. Fedayn

Fedayn Diffidati con noi

10 'biggest' doesn't mean they're 'big' just not as small. The language and context that Hughes used and given City's recent history i'm not sure 'big' is apt. And i'd also say Everton aren't as big as we were.
  14. big eejit

Here's a crack at a BIG equation to help solve the Big Club debate.

Bigness = number of trophies x (current value of team - total debt) x 'history' x number of fans in home city

divided by

year founded x number of fans in Surrey

Any suggestions for improvements welcome...
  15. Relahni

Relahni New Member

Don't you recognise a WUM when you see one? ;)

Everton aren't as big as we were? eh?

Do you mean Man City weren't as big as Everton were?
  16. Fedayn

Fedayn Diffidati con noi

Yes, which is why i'm not biting just replying. Everton are not as 'big' as they used to be. There used to be the 'Big 5', Arsenal, Everton, Liverpool, Man United and Spurs. I'm not sure that really counts any more other than the historic big clubs.

City have never been as big as Everton.
  17. Relahni

Relahni New Member

Bigness = number of fans around the World + history + number of trophies gained in history - number of fans who protest they are a big club - numbers of years the club has failed to win anything of note - number of fans clutching at straws to make up for lack of success - clubs with programmes bragging that they also have fans from other parts of the World - clubs who bring in Hollywood stars to the ground to pretend they support the club - number of fans who are more obsessed with their rivals than their own club and then sing a song professing that they don't care about their rivals - number of club songs that mention their rivals.
  18. Relahni

Relahni New Member

That's about right tbh.

Make no mistake, Man City will win the league in the next 5 years.
  19. Biffo

Biffo Well-Known Member

This. Definitely.
  20. agricola

No, Moyes is annoyed with the way that City have conducted themselves over this. It is one thing for a rich club to come in and buy one of a clubs better players. It is another for the rich club to do that, but tap up the player first in order to try and drive the price down. One of course notes that, despite everything thats gone on in the past week, and Hughes' insistence that talks are ongoing, there still hasnt been a third bid made, which has sort of left Lescott looking like a prize twat at the moment.

In that respect this situation is not unlike MON's reaction to the shite tapping up Barry during the preseason before last, and it could well have a similar outcome.
  21. Biffo

Biffo Well-Known Member

What - he ends up at Man City? ;)
  22. paulhackett

paulhackett voiced by strother martin

sky reporting everton in talks with newcastle over steven taylor on their yellow ticker tape thingy..
  23. twistedAM

Surely Liverpool in this scenario...anyone but City;)
  24. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

I find myself wondering how Moyes would respond if Sir Alex announced his retirement and ManU came for him - would he act as he demands Lescott does . . . I guess we all know the answer.
  25. big eejit

I don't think he's objecting to City wanting to sign Lescot, it's the way they've gone about it.
  26. twistedAM

It's not so much the way City have gone about it, it's the way City are ignoring a guy who says he won't sell, so City are going to his bosses.
  27. big eejit

i.e. the way they've gone about it. :rolleyes:
  28. big eejit

2-0 at half time. Good to see Saha scoring. And Rodwell. :)
  29. revol68

revol68 what, fucking what?

It's such a pity Saha has such injury problems, he is a fucking fantastic player and I was sad to see him leave United though I understood it, always like to see him do well.
  30. agricola

Wierd game that. Had no access to a tele or radio and so watched it via a mix of the BBC football ticker and the Toffeeweb match thread, the latter of which went absolutely mental about how shite we were until the first goal went in.

Meanwhile, Citeh claim the Lescott deal is off.