1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Essay crew...Cite your woes

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Rutita1, Dec 13, 2009.

1. toggle

toggle Fucking Furious Feminist

well done.

i just emailed my tutor with 500 or so words of my dissertation.

i've given a short explanation of what the home rule debate in 1885 was and how irish cultural revivalism differed from the cornish

2. funky_sessions

funky_sessions not to be used as pants.

that's cool, I know nothing about history, but one of my Housemates is studying it. i'll tell her what you're writing about and see what she knows :)

3. toggle

i'm all very cornwall focussed with this, so it's unlikely she will know much about the specifics.

4. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

Have done 2/3 of my intro. I'm relatively pleased with it as far as it goes. Unfortunately my essay plan for the main body reads as follows:

MAIN BODY

e2a: having typed it up it is not 2/3 but more like 1/4. *weeps*

5. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

I think I must be very succinct. I struggle to have enough words.

Or I just can't think of anything to write. :(

6. wayward bob

wayward bob official sideboard pervert

(((quimmy))) keep on going missus :)

7. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

Only 1125 words to go before I can finish for the day! :)

Not going to happen. Best stock up on coffee for Tuesday night.

toggle likes this.
  8. toggle

I've got my post its up on the wall of some of my main issues that i need to cover in my introduction and first sections.

i also found one of thr websites i needed to reference.

9. Roadkill

Roadkill a clown's heart

I'm spending Sunday afternoon tidying up some lecture notes I've just finished drafting, and doing a powerpoint to go with them. Two problems:
    a) It's dull as fuck
    b) I just took a big mouthful of tea, and then immediately sneezed. A pile of photocopying I did on Friday, which was sitting on the desk in front of me, will now need to be done again.

10. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

921 words! goddammit this might just be doable. :) (famous last words?) Only 600 to go. I might not need time off work to finish....

Post it notes! I may try to remember that for next time.

Never mind, roady.

11. funky_sessions

funky_sessions not to be used as pants.

fuck yeah! my dissertation is printed, bound and ready to hand in. I can't stop smiling :D
    tonight is going to be muchos drinking and celebration.

roadkill - b. - that's real unfortunate :(

quimcunx likes this.
  12. toggle

that's a recomendation i got to get past that i can't make notes in the usual way.

i get an idea, go talk to bakunin to make sure that i'm making some sort of sence, then the idea goes up in a series of post its that i can then shiftt about to start to structure. but once i've got about 3/4 of the first draft done, then it all sort of falls into plave

13. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet ammonia snooker balls

The prohibition on you and PM interacting is still running. 24h ban to make the point, pointless as it may be.

14. smmudge

smmudge We teach life, sir.

my tutor wants 1000 words today. Totally arbitrary deadline for nothing. How dare he make me work when my grade does not depend on it! 464 words so far. By today I assume he means before midnight.

15. wayward bob

cunt :mad: (tutor not you obvs :D)

16. smmudge

He did it in a right roundabout sneaky way too, asking me what he could have by when. 1000 words by the 12th I said, so technically it's my fault! :mad: :D

17. wayward bob

i'm on the warpath when it comes to flaky tutors right now :mad::mad::mad:

18. toggle

i need another wall. i've got dissertation on one, household stuff on another, but i need one for my anti pavery and i don't have a convenient and accessible wall

19. smmudge

sock it to em bob! They may be an 'authority' but they're also supposed to be providing you with a service!
    My tutor's alright really.

20. smmudge

Yeah he got my 1000 words! 1000 of my very finest words.

wayward bob and toggle like this.
  21. smmudge

Oh it seems he is a cunt after all. First he tries to counter my argument with a load of strawmen (fine, I can be more precise). Then he tells me I'm putting concluding matter before evidence. No, I'm making a claim, then I'm backing it up. Isn't that how you write essays? :confused: I feel like I've forgotten how to write essays arrgh and this is the cunt that gave me 80. BUT I HAVEN'T CHANGED ANYTHING.

22. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

I'm sure my instructions for this one included stating your position in the intro.

I've done some editing but not written so much as one word of conclusion.... :oops:

23. miniGMgoit

miniGMgoit OverWeightUnderAchiever

I have a great idea. First week of my final year and I shall give up smoking. It's taken 3 weeks for me to be able to concentrate but I'm there now.

ice-is-forming likes this.
  24. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming life goes on...

second week of my first year here mini and im thinking of taking it up:facepalm:

toggle likes this.
  25. miniGMgoit

miniGMgoit OverWeightUnderAchiever

Oh love!
    You'll be right darl.
    What are studying?

ice-is-forming likes this.
  26. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming life goes on...

behavioural psychology

27. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

126 words is too short a conclusion for a 1500 essay isn't it? :(

28. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Poster of the Year 2004

a little bit, add another 50-75 words and you're away.

29. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail No English, Straight Patois.

I've always been told that a conclusion should be 5% to 7.5% of the whole essay, the less the better. And never longer than your intro. So no.

30. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Poster of the Year 2004

and how has this advice served you?