1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Essay crew...Cite your woes

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Rutita1, Dec 13, 2009.

1. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

72 for assignments and 66 for exam. I'm just pleased I passed the exam. I really wasn't sure that I had. OU grade 3. What's that in real money?

I'm pleased enough. That's the first exam I've sat since school.
    Meltingpot, smmudge, tar1984 and 5 others like this.
  2. miniGMgoit

miniGMgoit OverWeightUnderAchiever

So I'm slaving over my reflective assignment. While reflective papers are generally easy to put together my lecturer for this unit scares the living shit out of me so it has to be spot on.
  3. wayward bob

wayward bob official sideboard pervert

i have 7 weeks of holiday left :eek::cool::D

that is all.
  4. BoatieBird

BoatieBird You can call me cupcake

Nice one Quimmy :)

A grade 3 is the equivalent of a 2:2
    quimcunx likes this.
  5. tbtommyb

tbtommyb Well-Known Member

need to do my dissertation by the end of the month (only 12,000 words mind). I'm currently stuck in that trap of endlessly reading more stuff and putting off actually writing. also sitting on u75 too much.
  6. mrs quoad

mrs quoad ¡pǝlqɐsıp ƃuıƃƃɐʇ sɐɥ ;ǝpnɹ ʇou

Have just sent my supervisors 80,500 words of increasingly-less-drafty thesis - 500 words over, and in need of a bit of work, but getting there...
    toggle likes this.
  7. barney_pig

barney_pig Po-cha-na-quar-hip

13000 words in into my dissertation, actually beginning to think I might get this beast finished!
  8. smmudge

smmudge from beneath you, it devours

This is a really stupid question and probably not the right thread to ask but anyway...

Not long ago I made a decision that I really want to build an academic career. I know it's not a guaranteed route but I figured the best way to do this is through masters then PhD. The thing is because I had some years before uni doing something else and I'm spending this year getting some money together, by the time I start my PhD at this rate I will be 27. To get into academia after that, will I be...too old?? I know it is not an easy thing to get into; all I'm worried about is how old I be when I finish (if I do) my phd :facepalm:
  9. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

Well quoady seems to be doing something along those lines and he's over 27.

I think. He may have just lead a hard life. Well he has lead a hard life in some ways. Oh, I dunno.
  10. Kuso

Kuso I'll see you when the sun shines

I'm 27 and 2 years into my phd and hoping to go that route, have been out for several 30ths since I started in this lab, so I wouldn't really worry. Especially considering academia is one of those things that you could probably do later in life I wouldn't worry too much
  11. barney_pig

I left school at 15, and returned to college at 40, did my access to higher ed. I passed my BA at 43, and am finishing my MA dissertation now at 45. I think that you are just showing off how young you are. Blooming whipper snapper!
    toggle likes this.
  12. tbtommyb

tbtommyb Well-Known Member

I am doing an MA, but have been to fair few presentations by PhD students and many of them seem to be around your age. In my area (international relations mostly) it seems pretty normal to work for a few years at something related and then go back for the PhD. tbh I think everything that shows an enthusiasm beyond blindly pursuing more and more qualifications can only be a good thing.
  13. smmudge

:D Yes I know I'm not old old but it was annoying being an undergrad and talking to phd students my own age! Then again when I'm not studying I still read key thinkers and that because I'm a bit sad but it definitely puts me at an advantage so I can't see those years as wasted, even if I'm not working in a field that's related really.
    ShiftyBagLady likes this.
  14. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

After dithering I thought I'd just go for the course I knew in my heart I wanted to do. The next start date isn't until February which I suspect means I missed the September one so now I have to do a different course and do that one next year or wait until February and do summer study instead of winter study. Grr. Goddamn my procrastinating.
  15. BoatieBird

BoatieBird You can call me cupcake

((Quimmy))

I'm doing a feb course too, I'd much rather study in the winter :(
    Which module did you have your heart set on?
  16. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

child development. How can that not be interesting.

I've not followed you up on the info you gave me either. :facepalm:

Tonight I will sit down properly and go through things methodically. *determined*

I may even sit at the desk to show I mean srs business.
  17. mrs quoad

My dad's reading through my thesis.

Some of his comments are pretty useful.

Others seem to miss the point a bit :D

Dad's comment: 'do you mean lack of poverty?'

No, dad :D Definitely not.
  18. mrs quoad

Went through my entire thesis this evening, highlighting *every single reference.*

Then entered them into an Excel spreadsheet, to cross-reference with my current reference list.

About 300 of them (fair enough).

Only... just as I hit 'C'... I closed the spreadsheet, without having saved *any* of it :facepalm:

So I've spent the last 2hrs re-entering the data, and going through it a second time (have done the easiest 200 or so tonight!)
  19. Miss Caphat

Miss Caphat Tony Chestnut knows

I think that's a pretty normal age, isn't it? even a bit on the young side of average, maybe. most people take time off to work, or have families, to travel, save money, etc. most medical doctors seem to be about that age before they can start their careers as well.
    Trust me, 27 is not that old.
    smmudge, tar1984 and Meltingpot like this.
  20. mrs quoad

Oh, yeah, sorry, completely missed this :D

I was pissed and occasionally sectioned up until 2004-5, when I was 24-5yrs old. Then I kinda rolled up in Huddersfield, did a BSc in 2yrs, spent about 18 months studying for a certificate in counselling whilst working for a grade-A catastrophe of a drug service, and *then* moved into postgrad study.

Somehow, I think I was 27 when I started.

I'm now 32, and finishing.

tbf, I don't really think 27 is a bad age at all to be doing a PhD. If you've got some motivation and purpose, then chances are - IME - you'll be streets ahead of most people who go straight from a Bachelors into a Masters because they're not sure what else they 'should' be doing. IME, about two-thirds of my Masters course were people who wanted a very good social life with a nice bit of wage-increasing paper at the end of it.

Erm, tbf, I'm 32 with bugger all in the way of pension contributions. But I was drunk until I was 25 anyway, so that probably wouldn't've been too different, regardless.

Starting pay for a research fellow (a reasonable follow-on from a PhD) would be £27ish k.

Starting pay for a lecturer (an Optimistic follow-on from a PhD) would be £37ish k.

Those - IMO - are reasonable wages to be getting into.

The main difficulty is the sheer, relentless, brutal, awful, monumental, never-ending, ceaseless dirge of a drive that is a 3-4 year self-directed research project. I reckon I was about as motivated as they come, towards the start. But, by god. It really is a brutal, brutal, awful, staggeringly evil process!

Good luck!
    smmudge likes this.
  21. mrs quoad

Oh, what a grade-A fuckspanner.

I've printed out 290 pages of THE WRONG VERSION of my thesis. Last edited August 25th.

:facepalm:
  22. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf cocoa buttery

they don't have you at their recruitment fairs then?:p:D
  23. mrs quoad

Doesn't matter, tbh. One of the defining characteristics of aspirant PhDs is hearing repeatedly just how fucking gruesome it'll be, but going ahead irrespective because "it'll be different for me."
  24. smmudge

lol I don't think it will be different for me :D I want brutal, I'm such a masochist :oops:
  25. barney_pig

less than a week till i have to hand it in. christ! so much still to do! my conclusion and introduction are just empty sheets of paper and there are big gaps where there should be a chapter
  26. mrs quoad

The "I want" bit?

*That's* where you're thinking you're different!
  27. TruXta

TruXta Tired of this

You shut your dirty mouth!
  28. mrs quoad

Just had my *final* pre-submission supervision.

There's bloody *always* something else needs doing, ffs.

Still, not long to go...
  29. TruXta

TruXta Tired of this

Is your supervisor gonna sit in on the viva?
  30. mrs quoad

Don't think they're allowed to, tbh.