1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Essay crew...Cite your woes

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Rutita1, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

I'm in the midst of a BIG essay.... Not a particularly long one (1500 words) but really theoretical subject matter which means I need to cite/quote sources quite a bit.

I am doing okay...have enough time left to finish and edit before the deadline :cool: but:

Woes:

1. Like always I think I over did the reading and note taking preparation.:rolleyes:

2. Academic writing reminds me of doing a jigsaw puzzle
    I would much prefer though a nice countryside scene.

3.Citing/naming sources however necessary, changes the experience of writing.
    I look back and think well done, you have managed to put together the thoughts/ideas/suggestions of all those people. Like a master carpet weaver.

I think the real annoyance is that in some sense the writing doesn't end up feeing like my own...it only demonstrates my ability to read/understand/collate/synthesise and present information, valuable skills yes but the process always undermines my experience of writing. :hmm:

Moan over.....I know, anything to avoid getting on with it. :facepalm::D

2. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Well-Known Member

Rutita - sounds likes you're going through a really good process of writing

I know what you mean about re-presenting other people's ideas

maybe you'll get to do some assignments that require some small scale research that can feel like your own work?

or have an assignment that can be answered in an original way so that you bring others ideas into a new combination?

I've run out of passion for my work at the moment.

there is no big idea pushing me along

i have put so much time and thought into it this year and it has spun me off into loads of different avenues with my paid work - I have trained people and introduced these ideas to different workplaces and all that feels like I've done the work but i've got to find a way to write this final bit up and I DON@T WANT TO!!!!:mad::(:facepalm:

3. Upchuck

Upchuck Banned Banned

I did my first essays for years in 2009. I am a bit rusty but I passed the course and was pleased. I know that if I put more effort in to the next set I may well come out near the top of the class.

4. Divisive Cotton

Divisive Cotton Now I just have my toy soldiers

I've staring at a 2000 word essay for the last couple of weeks.

In the search for originality I've come up with some interesting sources and I'm really going for it today because I want to get the bulk down before the day is out. I'm fed up with it hanging over my head really.

5. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus would be a rubbish god

I don't know what subject you're studying, but there is a place for your own ideas in academic writing. I know exactly how you feel, but I would say that you shouldn't be afraid to include some of yourself, as long as you can justify it properly. The judgement as to which points are the most important is itself an act of your own creation.

Again, it does depend on the subject, but what distinguishes a good 2:1 from a First is often precisely this: a 2:1 is a good synthesis of the ideas of others; a First takes those ideas and adds something of its own to them.

6. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

There is space for original 'me' stuff yes but in other modules/assignments etc... The academic process stuff is important to me but like you I much prefer the PRACTICAL, applying it...:)

7. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

This is not my first time at Uni, the first time (over 10 years ago)I got a good 2:1 studying communications and writing/publishing.

In between I got into teaching by doing a CELTA and did my mainstream post-compulsory teaching qualifications at local colleges the city and guilds route.

The subject now if Therapuetic Counselling. I love it but the academic writing part of it is pretty dense. Presenting your own ideas is not as easy in this context/at this level, at research level yes, there is much more room for creativity...I suppose I just get a little bored with constantly having to back up everything I write because in the end, it doesn't feel like my idea any more.

8. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

I know that feeling. I have experience of academia so it's much easier this time around to kick my own arse and get started. I just get a little bored mid-way through as often it can feel like doing a big jigsaw puzzle.

9. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus would be a rubbish god

Yes, I understand that. Academic writing can be a restrictive and stifling form. Glad you're enjoying the rest of it, though. :)

Grit your teeth and plough through, as I'm sure you know.

10. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

[​IMG]

:hmm:

:D

11. zenie

zenie >^^<

I'm finding it really hard remembering where I read stuff. :hmm: Which makes it a bit difficult to then reference doens't it?! :D

Have got some sticky tabs and going through all my books at the moment so I can then sit down and relate them back to the original question with referencing. It is annoying constantly having to back up what you're saying like you say I suppose it has to be factual and not opinion or feeling based. :rolleyes: :)

I still need to look up proper structuring, and how to compare two subjects in an essay...

12. Miss-Shelf

I'm finding it hard to stay motivated

I am looking through sequences I videoed in the summer of children moving and I'm finding it hard going to watch and write about them

I have already analysed them in one way now I am looking for other details

and those details are exciting when i find them but otherwise its a lot of trawling though stuff and rewinding.

la la la

:rolleyes:

13. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

Zenie....:)

Re: Structuring essays. Do they have any study skills classes embedded in your course? Or maybe you can sit down with a tutor or colleague to discuss structuring?

University websites have lots of info on planning and structuring.

This might be useful, for example.

Comparing two subjects: Highlight similarities but note differences.

Here is a link to definitions of key phrases.

14. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

:D I'm intrigued

Hang in there!!!!

15. RubyToogood

RubyToogood Palacetinian

To me there should always be something of yourself in an essay. You explain the various academic positions and then go on to evaluate their merits and offer your own critique. Personally, I always started by taking the question apart to see what made it tick.

16. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Sailing to Byzantium

i've never knowingly done this but it doesn't seem to have done me any harm.

17. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

Understanding the essay question is very important yes.:)

18. crustychick

crustychick doo-woop-de-doo

I'm writing my 15,000-20,000 word dissertation. i'm sorry to say that my approach to citations is to write the piece, then pepper it with appropriate as I can remember citations afterwards. I tend to put a little [citation needed] in the appropriate bit to remind me to find something to put in :oops:

It's going well so far though!

19. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

Good method!
    :)

20. zenie

zenie >^^<

Thanks superstar :cool::D:cool:

xxx

21. prunus

prunus Oh alright then

I'd just like to pop in here to point out that all you whippersnappers have it easy. In my day I had to write two 3000 word essays a week. And attend 40 hours of lectures. And write up all the lab work. And muck out the horses, hew the wood, haul the coal and massage my tutor's wobbly bits :mad:

22. zoooo

zoooo zero tolerance for walkers

Have to write two 5,000 word essays over Christmas. :(

23. Miss-Shelf

i do this too

although I have got better over time and the bibliography is the first thing I do and add to - its my fav procrastinating task

but there's always bits I forget or find i need later

what you writing about crustychick?

24. Miss-Shelf

:(

25. toggle

toggle Fucking Furious Feminist

i have 2 1500 word essays. Sometimes i think that a longer one would be easier, i find it much harder to reduce the amount of writing than write more detail.

26. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

Bingo!!!!

With shorter word counts you NEED amazing editing skills....FACT!:facepalm::D

27. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

:facepalm:....On what subjects?.....I want to avoid my own essays by worrying about yours.

Indulge me!!! :D

28. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

A firefox plugin thing called "Zotero" may be quite useful for referencing, if you're using journals or doing stuff online. Worth trying out anyway... :)

I have a 1000 word essay for asap - not started, no reading done, no idea.

a ~2000 word essay i've done about 1100 words on, and actually have a clue about; it's about Camus -- philosopher/or not etc. Pretty interesting reading. Gona try and finish that by end of the week...

Got a chunky 3500 one i'm doing over Christmas too. O woes. It's interesting though, and involves watching films, which is always a bonus.

I am procrastinating my arse off currently, sighhhh. The only way is to get out of my room, i can't work when distractions are but a click away :(

If you're quoting stuff btw guys and you have to do footnotes or Harvard, just put page number/author in brackets so at least that's saved n sorted, you can always turn it into a proper citation or whatever at the end, at some tedious late hour :)

29. idioteque

idioteque mustard tiger

I have a 2000 word essay due in on Thursday, and a 1500 word stakeholder document due in on the same day. I have to work on Thursday though, and so have to give it in tomorrow instead :(

Have just finished writing the essay, but need to put in a good ten more references, tie up the loose ends and write the reference list. Stakeholder document shouldn't be too bad but I just can't be bothered tbh :mad:

In case anyone's interested, the essay title is: "Discuss the contribution of tropical deforestation to the global carbon budget, highlighting the mechanisms used for its quantification, and main estimation uncertainties and the current strategies for their reduction."

The stakeholder document is two pieces of writing presented with a focus appropriate for each stakeholder, on one of the issues covered in a series of lectures we had this term. I think I might do mine on heavy metal ground soil contamination, with one document aimed at the public and one aimed at the heavy metal producer. :hmm:

30. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

Oh man they clearly hate you and laugh together in the lecturers bar like the c-nuts they are.:facepalm::rolleyes:

I however think you rock and know your essay will be great! :hmm::D