1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'gaming and consoles' started by Epona, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Cid

Cid Degenerate Scum

Yeah, I think for all the shows etc they've basically let people play the full game for an hour.

2. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

Impossible to make a demo of a game like this. Pirate it, then buy it if it works ;D

3. tommers

tommers I did it!

4. golightly

golightly I've been gentrified. - :(

There's a demo video on Fileplanet that I'm downloading. Ok, it's not a demo but at least you will get an idea of how it looks and plays.

Link

5. Crispy

You can watch it on Youtube.
    Part 1:

6. revol68

revol68 what, fucking what?

7. Random

Random Ethnic nalgocrat

No it's not, and it also seems to say that several games I play happily are above my computers min specs

8. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

i realised in my craving to play this that i still hadn't played new vagas so this weekend i gave that a go and got totally hooked on it. i found it to be more engaging than fallout 3 and more fun. it is however buggy as fuck and often crashes out on me to the point where it now won't start (i'll try rebooting soon).

one of the reasons i liked morrowind better than fallout 3 was it felt less desolate and i'm hoping skyrim feel this way too with plenty of little towns and villages and plenty of NPCs to add charactor.

i'm worried that it will be a hell of a lot of trapsing around carverns and feeling lost. i have spent so much time stuck in bunkers looking at my pip boy in desperation this weekend. hopfully that clairvoyance spell is as awesome as it looks

9. tommers

tommers I did it!

Everyone's a critic. :)

10. Corax

Corax This will change your life: http://bit.ly/19lPFRa

By the time I've finished Oblivion this should be down to a sensible price, especially as I've got hooked on ME1 for now.

And I play games very slowly. I explore every nook and cranny, talk to everyone, creep round corners at a snail's pace, and my survival instinct is far too strong. I have to keep reminding myself that it doesn't actually matter if I die. :oops: :D

11. Shippou-Sensei

i just cheat. seriously god mode and debug megapistol for me. these games arn't about the shooting there are about the exploring and the storytelling

12. Corax

One of the disadvantages of gaming on the XBox.

13. Shippou-Sensei

i'm now playing a little oblivion. it's interesting. you can see the evolution of bethesta games

14. Shippou-Sensei

bit the bullet and got it on steam. i hope it is as good as it looks.

i've noticed that even though i don't dislike oblivion it didn't captivate me in the way fallout new vagas did. i think it's possibly to do the fact i found the characters in F:NV to be more entertaining. with the exception of the brief but excellent patrick Stewart cameo the majority of the characters feel bland and interchangeable. i guess F:NV had it easier as the tone of the game gave it a ton of pop culture short cuts to creating recognisable, memorable characters.

15. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

There are some great mods for Oblivion, Shippy - try The Lost Spires, and Kragenir's Death Quest for starters - they both add a lot to the game in terms of interesting characters and quests (and the latter adds tons of text-dialogue and quests to a lot of the NPCs in all the towns and villages, once I'd installed that I found myself actually seeking out the little villages that previously I had passed by, because I knew there would now be interesting people to meet there!) There are also a couple of highly rated mods that add well-written companion NPCs with their own story and quests, if you want some more memorable characters in the game they might be worth a look. Oh and try Belda Elysium as well, I think you might appreciate its humour, I love it - it's a house mod with quests.

16. tommers

tommers I did it!

This is your one month alarm call... this is your one month alarm call... this is your one month alarm call...

Vintage Paw likes this.
  17. Epona

I've actually been through a bit of a "meh" spell about it for the last 2 or 3 months - simply because I find it impossible to sustain that high level of excitement for so long, so it's been on the back burner for a while, mentally speaking. I am now all excited again though, and checking steam daily for pre-load information!

18. revol68

I tried to get into Oblivion after loving Fallout 3 but I just couldn't get on with it, mostly I reckon cos I hate all that high fantasy nerd shit.

This one I'm a bit more excited for cos it looks like it's a grittier lower fantasy setting and I really got into Game of Thrones last year, and parts of this remind me of it.

19. Crispy

20. ohmyliver

ohmyliver poppin' like a cork

can anyone recommend a place to pre-order from? I'd be getting the pc version....

21. Epona

Sorry, only just seen this.

If your internet connection can stand the strain, I'd recommend getting it on digital download from Steam - on PC it's a Steamworks game anyway and a retail copy still needs the Steam client and online activation, will unlock at the exact same time, there's no pre-order in game content at all no matter where you order it from, and the only difference is that some retail pre-order versions have a map printed on high quality paper (unless you're referring to the collector's edition, which comes with some other tat) - so might as well go direct to the source and buy it from Steam, unless you're a map fetishist, or have a bad internet connection. They should be allowing preload of 95% of the download for the few days before release, I'll be pre-ordering when they start the preload period.

Less than 2 weeks!!!!

Edit to add: If you particularly want a retail version, Game pre-orders apparently will be with a courier ready to be delivered on release day - they have by all accounts been e-mailing their customers to reassure them because of previous delivery debacles. I don't know if that will work out though, I've never pre-ordered a physical copy of a game so don't have any experience in order to advise.

22. Bingo

Bingo Shitty-shoed bastard

whats best way to get it on xbox?

23. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Buy a PC.

Actually, that's not true. The studio have been depressingly limited and developed for the 360, not the PC. Weak. They should have followed DICE's lead and developed for the far superior platform and scaled it back. I'm annoyed at the very thought. God knows Oblivion was ugly enough.

24. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Domination Snert

Just pre-ordered this. Not sure I've ever actually paid the release price for a game before. :hmm:

25. revol68

still no fucking PC footage out yet, instead we are all meant to be impressed with the XBox graphics despite them having shitty texture pop in all the fucking time.

seriously getting fucked off with the xbox holding game tech back.

26. Crispy

The xbox360 version has leaked and is now widely available on torrents. If I had a chipped console, I'd be on it. Don't want to risk the chipping process going wrong this close to launch though.

27. Corax

Apart from graphics (the odd bit of pop up etc doesn't bother me unduly), what's the advantage of playing games like this on the PC?

I'm asking because it may help me in deciding what PC specs I need (which I'm struggling with). The machine I built last time was well up to gaming at the time, but I never did because I couldn't get the damn controller (Wingman I think) to work properly. That PC's dead and I'm about to replace it, so maybe I'll give it another go this time. I do have a 360 though, so I guess it depends on how much of an advantage it would be to have a rig capable of a bit of gaming.

28. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

In the short-term, graphics and control system. In the long-term.. mods, mods, mods! Just Google 'Oblivion mods' to see what's available for the previous TES incarnation.

29. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Domination Snert

I racked up something like 120 hours on the xbox version of Oblivion. Anything that stretched it out would probably have done for my social life for about a year.:hmm:

30. Dooby

Dooby mince

Am hoping this is gonna drop in price a bit after release in time to buy it for myself for xmas (YES I'M THAT SAD OK). Which is a brilliant plan as I'll save money by then not going out or seeing anyone until the new year. Will likely develop DVT and rickets too, but that's not important.