1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'gaming and consoles' started by Epona, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

i do think making you the leader is a bit much but i guess they were doing it so you can chose for that to be your major epic story
  2. Termite Man

Termite Man zombie flesh eater

I don't see anything wrong with being able to do all the questlines as 1 character in theory as the way you level up in skyrim means you can make your character an all rounder to do that, the problem is you don't need high magic skill to do the mage quest but can bash your way through 2 handed, thats where the problem is.
  3. Cid

Cid Degenerate Scum

Actually it's a considerable advantage doing the mage quest as a non-mage really - not affected by any of the drain magic stuff.

Doesn't bother me that you can do all of them either - just that they lack substance. Problem with spreading a game out like this I suppose, but really we're not talking about techincally complex stuff - extra dialogue, few more quests, some magic challenges a bit more substantial than 'melt the icey door' (and leaving the spell tome next to it ffs) and proper balancing and it'd be fine.
  4. Termite Man

The thieves guild quests were quite good and the DB one is looking promising as well, mage and companions were just a bit shit.
  5. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Domination Snert

The sheer size of the game is it's strength and it's weakness IMO. It's its defining characteristic in a lot of ways and means that just exploring is great but it has to limit it eventually. You could sit here all day and go 'why didn't they do this, that and the other' but at some point they have to actually put the game out. The stuff about the way spouses behave for example - that's a bit more work on another, what, 30 characters or something just to add that in.

And then with the different quest lines, it does feel a bit weird for the same character to be head of the mages, fighters, thieves, assassins and everything else but the game is so huge I'm not dedicating another hundred hours to re-exploring and re-doing bits of the main quest in order to have a more coherent character.

Anyway, it's still one of my favourite ever games even though I could list issues with it all day.
    Termite Man likes this.
  6. Termite Man

I agree , I'm over 100 hours in and I'm still going back although it's getting to the point where I'm just doing it to finish the game because there isn't really that much variation in the game play.
  7. Voley

Voley "This huge hill of flesh"

I've just got my telly fixed and was looking forward to a good bit of Skyrim over the weekend and now my fucking Xbox has got the fucking red ring of death.
  8. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Still no idea what the main quest is. I'm not that fussed to be honest. Still enjoying wandering around and arrowing things :)

What level can you get a character to? I'm L35 and just decapitated my first victim :)
  9. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Domination Snert

I'm not sure - I think you can keep at it until you hit 100 in all your skills. Obviously levelling up gets slower when you start hitting that on the ones you level the quickest. I got to level 62 or 63 I think.
  10. Paulie Tandoori

Paulie Tandoori shut it you egg!

you lot do my brain in i think you overthink it sometimes,
    Corax and Voley like this.
  11. Voley

Yup. This post made me lol for that exact reason:
    :D
  12. tommers

tommers I did it!

:D A game has to have restrictions, something to limit player actions or it's not a game.

This is a gratification engine. Everything is set up to make the player feel good about themselves. Great stuff but there's no sense of accomplishment.

Sorry. You're right, I just want to know why it leaves me so dissatisfied.

The sheer size, scope and immersiveness of it is amazing though. Got to be said.
  13. Termite Man

Completed the main quest and pretty much all the other quests as well, the last part of the main quest was well easy, a bit disappointing tbh
  14. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Just passed 100hrs, do I win a prize?

Thought not. Still keep getting suprised by little details. I took a long shot at two bandits who were sitting at a table. I hit a bottle of wine which flew between them. It looked great :)
  15. Termite Man

you mean you missed the bandits . Thats poor shooting.
  16. Cid

Cid Degenerate Scum

Well cranking up the difficulty is certainly worth it.
    crustychick likes this.
  17. crustychick

crustychick doo-woop-de-doo

I had a good proper Skyrim day yesterday. I can FINALLY improve magic weapons. life is good. and overall, i'm just loving the levelling up and skills menu, when compared to how it worked in Oblivion. It's a joy. Oh and I can also now execute a silent forward roll in sneak mode. love that :D
  18. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Losing a bottle of wine is a worse punishment than death to some.

Those bandits will live in wineless misery now. Torture beyond belief.
    crustychick likes this.
  19. ohmyliver

ohmyliver poppin' like a cork

has anyone tried the high rez pack that's now available to download on Steam?
  20. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

Nah, the bloody thing's huge, hi res isn't that important to me so I'm not hugely excited by it tbh, my monitor is shit and ancient so I play on the TV anyway - it's not as if I'm able to see every texture in great detail, I'm not going to get as much out of it as if I were sitting up close to a good monitor. Nice to know it's available though for if I should ever feel the need.

I have downloaded the CK and had a bit of a poke about - spent the last hour making myself an empty interior and then ran out of inspiration about how to furnish it, so I'm going to come back to it when I've had a think!
  21. ohmyliver

yeah, it's a whopper of a download.... and... well, it makes close up look luverly, and the lighting indoors seems also luverly, but it seems to make stuff seen at distances look a bit less good.

it also messed up alt-tabbing out of Skyrim for me..
  22. bi0boy

bi0boy .

Just installed it, now the game crashes to the desktop every few minutes.
    tommers likes this.
  23. bi0boy

bi0boy .

It seems fucking useless Steam won't let me uninstall the frigging texture patch. Looks like I'll have to reinstall the whole game from scratch and download all the updates again. totally wtf.
  24. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

It's for sale on Steam atm for around 23 quid; all those who don't have it which is probably none of you.
  25. Termite Man

After finishing the main quest I went out and got Mass Effect 2 pre-owned and I have to say while Skyrim was big and open and lovely to look at it was no where near as fun (for me)
  26. ohmyliver

You can uncheck both the high rez packagaes in the data files section of the launcher. It's worked for me (I did get a message saying the saved game was reliant on missing data or something like that, but it's seemed to have no effect)
  27. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

I've been plugging away at this still. Up to L40 and finally doing the main quest. I've never spent so much time playing a game! Think I'm 118 hrs in so far.

Other game manufacturers must be livid. On average I used to buy a game each month. I havn't even thought about a new one since getting this last year. Is it too big?
  28. Voley

True. I've just sold mine within an hour on Ebay for thirty quid. Most games are down to 15 quid-ish when they've been out this long. 20 if you're lucky.

I only sold mine because my Xbox has just red-ring-of-deathed itself and there's no chance of buying another just now. I do think I'd played it enough by the end though- I'd pumped a lot of perks into making my bloke very strong with heavy armour / warhammers etc and most missions were just a case of bludgeoning my way through to the end. It had got a bit repetitive tbh but I thing I must have played 50 or so hours. Certainly got my money's worth.
  29. bi0boy

bi0boy .

So when is the first expansion pack coming out?
  30. Cid

Cid Degenerate Scum

Yeah, the problem is that balancing at high levels is basically broken - I'm playing Darksiders at the moment, I was finding it too easy even with the difficulty at the highest setting.