1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eggs Benedict/Florentine

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by gaijingirl, Mar 29, 2009.

1. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

I love love love Eggs Florentine and today I have a hangover and a need for my eggs. Normally we just go over the park in Brixton to the Prince Regent if we have a need - but we can't go today until about 4pm and they stop serving brunch at 2pm.

Does anyone know anywhere in South London - close to Brixton where can get nice Eggs Benedict (for him)/Florentine (for me) late on a Sunday afternoon.

Preferably avoiding Clapham.... :D

2. brix

brix spinster of this parish

I think SW9 in Brixton do them.

3. se5

se5 Well-Known Member

4. gaijingirl

ooh thanks both - both perfect! (Florentine is just where they use spinach instead of bacon).

The Sun and Doves probably does some decent cider too I imagine?? I usually like to wash them down with a pint of Addlestones.... :D

5. gaijingirl

Thank you - we had our eggs at The Sun and Doves - the Hollandaise was a bit suspect tbh but the rest was lovely.

Sadly they only have Strongbow and Bulmers and there was also some very annoying jazz... but we managed to struggle through the hardship... :D

6. Cowley

Cowley Well-Known Member

Not Brixton but local still. The Bear on Camberwell New Road does superb food at reasonable prices.

Been a few times recently and really enjoyed it, in fact the last time I was there I had Egg Benedicts.

http://www.thebear-freehouse.co.uk/

7. gaijingirl

Thank you! I am always keen to hear of new Eggs Benedict venues (although they have to also offer the florentine version for me). :)

8. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

But proper Hollandaise sauce is the whole point :eek:

Brunching on Eggs Benedict takes me back to my days of living well out of my usual bracket, with Sunday mornings spent at upscale eateties on Cape Codd when a pound bought almost two dollars.

9. cuban pete

cuban pete green wog

that's the problem with eggs Benedict,its all in the hollandaise.

and its seems very few places can make good hollandaise.

id crawl through the snow on bloody stumps for good hollandaise.

10. komodo

komodo Well-Known Member

Domali at Crystal Palace do an excellent + filling eggs florentine! Don't do bacon there though.

11. gaijingirl

Well to be fair to the Prince Regent - they do a lovely Hollandaise.

The Sun and Doves one was suspiciously yellow - too bright tbh... but it tasted ok. I was just put off by the colour.

Well definitely check out Domali - the ride up there should help build the appetite and burn a few calories in advance.

12. se5

se5 Well-Known Member

Another place to try out for Benedict and Florentine is the newly opened Petit Parisien on Grove Lane, Camberwell (just off Camberwell Church St).

This is a new French themed pub restaurant (with real French chef and barman!) located in the pub that was formerly the Dark Horse and before that Blakes and long ago the Kerfield Arms. We went to the opening last night and the bar snacks and dinner restaurant menus look very good - they also have a breakfast menu with Florentine and Benedict on it.

13. Boycey

Boycey juvenile rave slut

wrong end of london but monkey nuts in n8 do a cracking eggs benedict and possibly the best bloody mary i've ever had for full on hangover moments.

14. RubyToogood

RubyToogood Palacetinian

They do do Eggs Benedict too, but presumably meat free. Although they do veggie bacon so maybe...

15. gaijingirl

Right - just a few more to add to my travels.. Domali's was ok but on giant slabs of bread rather than muffins. Also they charge extra for the smoked salmon version (which gaijinboy had). I don't think they do a florentine version, I seem to remember I had mine with tomatoes - but my memory is a bit hazy now (they may have just run out of spinach or something when I was there). Overall I was not very impressed.

Also in Crystal Palace we went to the Little Palace Cafe (rather than Joanna's opposite - which we will have to try another time) as it was cheap and gaijinboy had a "Eggs Benedictine" (no florentine version) - this was on a muffin, but the sauce was very cheap and two or three slices of cheap ham. He said, reasonable for the price but not really a proper Eggs Benedict.

Today he had EB and I had EF at the Ritzy Cinema in Brixton. Again the sauce was that very very yellow sauce out of a jar and the whole dish was freezing cold - I think they'd taken the sauce straight from a jar in the fridge. Could have been quite nice if they'd heated the whole thing up.

So far the Prince Regent has been the best we've had in South London - but the search continues. :)

16. richl

richl New Member

I suggest adding Luca's Bakery in East Dulwich to your list - their EB/EF are top notch (enough for me to overlook the slightly incompetent, though well-intentioned, service I've had there the last couple of times)

17. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

Is this the most m/c thread ever?

18. Y_I_Otter

Y_I_Otter Dangerous Terroirist

Yes, you effete, elitist bastards... everyone knows that the only decent way to have eggs is fried, and on appropriately proletarian stale toast too. Dammit! :spit:

19. gaijingirl

how dare you? I'm most certainly NOT m/c - Daddy is a viscount...:mad::D

20. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady willy nilly

There is a cafe/bar type thing opposite streatham hill train station (it's right by the bus stop and has tables outside) which does pretty good eggs florentine. I used to go there regularly and it became my usual.
    Hmm. Now I have a hankering.

21. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

There's an American style diner gaff on Brick lane that does cracking eggs benedict. £8 a pop, mind.

22. gaijingirl

Update:

For my birthday today we decided to try out Luca's bakery in East Dulwich (after the recommendation above and also a few other people mentioned it recently). Sadly when we got there it turned out that they only do eggs on the weekend... :confused::(

So, we were in a bit of a rush and went up the road instead to Le Chandelier.

Pros: It was very tasty and I think the Eggs Florentine was a fiver - which isn't too bad. The spinach was gorgeous. They have an amazing tea menu - which was great for me as a tea fan. Gaijinboy, however, says his Eggs Benedict was mediocre... "it wasn't really Egg's Benedict but apart from that it was nice"...

Cons: They were immensely understaffed and so it all ended up being very rushed - which was a bit stressful. The cup they brought me for my tea was insanely dirty so I had to send it back. The Eggs Florentine/Benedict was served on bread - not a muffin and biggest sin of all - it was served with melted cheese instead of hollandaise sauce... :eek: However, I don't know what cheese they used but it was very very very nice - so it was still a lovely meal.

Despite the Eggs Florentine being just a fiver - somehow the entire bill came to £28 - and we felt that was just way overpriced for what we had (we did buy a couple of take away cupcakes at the end in lieu of birthday cake and they must have been very pricey!) - especially as the service was really ropey. Shame - as they had some other nice bits and bobs on the menu but I don't think that we'd go back - not the place for us. Tbh... I'm not sure E. Dulwich is really our cup of tea anyway (these days - quite different from when I was a teenager) - but we'll definitely try to get back to try out the offerings in Luca's one weekend.

23. gaijingirl

I think we'll have to try this soon... :)

24. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

As well as the place opposite Streatham Hill station, Perfect Blend, there is another Cafe a bit further down Streatham High Road underneath The High, called Purple. IIRC Purple do extra portions of hollandaise for addicts - although they charge for them!

25. gaijingirl

:D:D Excellent information. We may chance a trip to Streatham over the weekend - all being well.

26. Citizen66

So not eggs Benedict at all then. :D

That's a liberty them advertising it as such. It's served with ham on a toasted English muffin with hollandaise sauce. It's like someone giving you a plate of mince and potatoes and telling you it's spaghetti bolognaise.

27. maomao

maomao Well-Known Member

Except that that would be a bonus 'cause mince and tatties is the best meal in the world. :)

28. Citizen66

Oh then. :D

It's like ordering mince and tatties and them giving you spaghetti bolognese. :p

29. gaijingirl

Yeah - I think I made that point didn't I with the quote below?

"it wasn't really Egg's Benedict but apart from that it was nice"...

;)

30. Citizen66

Oh, so nobody else can add further comment then?