1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EDL watch

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by Das Uberdog, Oct 31, 2010.

1. taffboy gwyrdd

taffboy gwyrdd Embrace the confusion!

Also interesting because the Lockerbie conviction was highly unsafe. But the droolers would have to follow what was going on in the world to know that.

2. xes

xes F.O.A.D

unfortunatly yes, they were all "yeah we're gonna have a fukkin riot innit" :rolleyes:

I shall give them a gentle nudge when I next see them, tell them to chose their battles wisely, and to not get sucked into seperationist shit like this.

taffboy gwyrdd likes this.
  3. malatesta32

malatesta32 Anti-Fascist Always

anon, he doesnt have a speech writer, he likes to 'improvise.' and he doesnt believe in editing his videos either. he has confused himself with someone who has something interesting to say. as for our incontinent hero, he is is our star attraction on the 'malatesta' blog today!

4. B0B2oo9

B0B2oo9 You're all Gay

5. john x

john x Well-Known Member

I think it is more likely to be having a pop at the Scottish Parliament which they see as being the architect of the destruction of the Union.

john x

6. Frances Lengel

Frances Lengel Atrophied Member

7. malatesta32

too funny. having to pay for that shower! saturday was hardly a 'victory' either!

8. Das Uberdog

Das Uberdog remembers the alamo

tbf i think it would be pretty terrible if this set a precedent of protest organisers being billed for the costs of controlling them

9. malatesta32

10. malatesta32

what a waste of time. totally ineffectual and inarticulate programmre.

11. john x

john x Well-Known Member

If that is what it was then i would agree, but it is not.

They are actually being billed the cost of clearing up after them because they are a business.

If vodafone held a promotional event in a town centre and left a load of shit behind them, do you not think they should be billed for the clean-up?

Or should the local council pay for it?

john x

12. Das Uberdog

Das Uberdog remembers the alamo

are trade unions businesses? where is the line drawn? is it about merchandising? the Hyde demo was obviously political, not a 'promotional' thing for flogging their shit... there's an obvious difference so far as i can see.

13. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Are you 100% sure of the first part of this?

14. john x

john x Well-Known Member

The EDL repeatedly claim not to be a political movement.

john x

15. john x

john x Well-Known Member

Yes, if by 'controlling them' Das Uberdog means policing them.

john x

16. butchersapron

I meant that the proposed billing was on the basis of the edl being a business.

17. john x

john x Well-Known Member

No, they are registered with the Register of Friendly Societies and have a legal status similar to registered charities.

john x

18. john x

john x Well-Known Member

A contact in Tameside Council is saying that that is the legal argument being used to recover the costs.

Not only is the EDL not registered as a charity or a political party, it is incorporated as a business at Companies House trading as a merchandise seller. On this basis, Saturday's event is being seen as primarily commercial, especially as a lot of merchandise was sold there.

john x

malatesta32 likes this.
  19. butchersapron

Ta, so it's possibly the basis but not 100%?

20. john x

john x Well-Known Member

Is anything 100%?

john x

21. butchersapron

Yes. I'm only after an answer so i can 100% say this elsewhere - it's not a trick.

22. john x

john x Well-Known Member

OK it is the attempted logic/legal grounds for an attempt to recover costs.

It is not a new thing either. I have organised outdoor gigs where although they are being done to raise awareness of something or other they are treated as commercial events and I have had to pay for both policing and clean up.

john x

23. butchersapron

Ok ta again.

24. taffboy gwyrdd

taffboy gwyrdd Embrace the confusion!

The idea of billing for demos would set a dangerous precedent.

25. Anudder Oik

Anudder Oik Well-Known Member

Just think how much a poll tax riot would cost. Anyway, the UAF won't have to worry much because noone could get away with charging more than 10 quid for a Kettle.

taffboy gwyrdd likes this.
  26. john x

john x Well-Known Member

By the way kiddies,

I think Tommy Robinson has just seen a preview of tonight's Dispatches programme on C4.*

He is spitting feathers and is now saying it was re-edited by the government to stitch up the EDL! A statement will be released after the programme airs.

'Oh shit indeed!' as Mr Gilbert would say. :facepalm:

john x

(*the programme that will bring them 'up to a million more members')

27. B0B2oo9

B0B2oo9 You're all Gay

(EDL) English Defence League
    In a worrying development its being alleged that HMG have organised an 11th hour edit of tonights C4 programme, and overruled the editor*;(

"Tommy just rang in the local radio station and tried to get a message out, tonights Channel 4 Documentary has been edited by the government, a statement will be released after the programme which airs at 10pm. He sounded very angry, looks like another media/ government stitch up job. Wether your a supporter of the EDL or not you have got to agree the moment the government interfere with news stories, we live in a type of cold war dictatorship".

*Whatever the truth it looks like EDL has got the establishment well & truly on the backfoot

28. Fingers

Fingers from the internetz

The shit is about to well and truly hit the fan and splatter all over Tommyboy

29. malatesta32

pray tell!

30. john x

john x Well-Known Member

Put it like this, when the EDL say 'all publicity is good publicity'.............

that is not strictly true! ;)

john x

B0B2oo9 likes this.