1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EDL watch

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by Das Uberdog, Oct 31, 2010.

1. B0B2oo9

B0B2oo9 You're all Gay

2. I'm thankful of threads like these (apart from the predictable sneering from a handful) it helps me keep informed, esp when certain Irish forums have people calling the EDL patriotic!!!

3. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

LoyalistChat.com?

4. Ye gods, I wouldn't dare go on such a thing, nah - a very popular Irish forum. Supposedly balanced.

5. treelover

treelover For the 'Good Old Cause'

My late mother used to tell me how they had to stay indoors when they marched, imo, time to end the lot of these events, on both sides!

6. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

No. But being a visible enemy rather than allowing them to drift away into obscurity can perpetuate their existence, yes.

7. taffboy gwyrdd

taffboy gwyrdd Embrace the confusion!

Some people can get a bit obsessive I guess, but they are rightfully concerned about race hate, fascism and the backdrop to them.

It's called "EDL Watch" and watches the EDL - I can't see a problem with that.

Do groups thrive on opposition? Somewhat, but they'll make it up regardless, or make something up.

Will the EDL disappear if we ignore them? I doubt the attention we give them has all that much impact either way to be honest.

Will we disappear as a result of Butcher's constantly coming on to chide us?

Ditto. I wonder if there's an irony lurking somewhere in his attention.

8. malatesta32

malatesta32 Anti-Fascist Always

this thread is a good way of stayingt in toiuch with antifascists and sharing a wee bit info links etc. if folk dont like it go and watch soccer teams!

taffboy gwyrdd likes this.
  9. malatesta32

hyde, heywood, ajax fans? no threat. no.

10. Red Storm

Red Storm M14

Rochdale has been going off for over a year, there are daily race attacks (from both sides).

I don't think the EDL are as bigger of a threat that others and I first thought.

11. taffboy gwyrdd

Maletesta - There are threats, always, to be concerned about. Always were.

but to deal with your 3 from last post:

we don't know how Hyde will shape up yet - could be a squib for all we know. Community seems more united against the demo if anything, which is good in a peverse way.

Last night's Ajax wibble - (EDL not mentioned in the Evening News coverage) - Soccer fan punch up is barely anything, hitting Dutch people is nothing to do with Islam (unless Ajax have a muslamic contingent to their fan base, which is possible I guess). The original Ajax incident just showed that that that particular group of fans give fascists short shrift - good news again. As in this country real football fans very often revile the far right - a somewhat undertold story.

Heywood - more disturbing, as has been the whole thing around the Liverpool case. but mostly young people getting caught up in that kind of thing speaks at least as much to the sort of underlying causes of last years riots if you ask me. And paedomania figures too. The far right will use such things to recruit and that is a deep concern. But if it along with the general hype around Liverpool remain isolated then long term damage may be mild, they also serve to highlight what a danger the far right are to the broader community which can galvanise things.

The problem as I see it is that Griffin is determined now to stir and hype things up in order to max his chances of re election in 2014. Along with the NWi (small but virulently nasty and deluded) they will ensure that race tensions in the NW are not allowed to die down in the next 2 years.

The EDL have more or less completed their transmutation in to the broader far right, somewhat larger than it used to be thanks to them, but their overall initial function seems now to be served out. They long since blew it in regards to being any different.

Anti fascism has not generally had an adequate response organisationally, but things have been so fluid that is small suprise. The numbers are kind of there, keeping in mind that demos by EDL etc. tend to rely on people being bussed in from all over the shop. That's the main worry about Heywood I think.

As usual, it is left / anarchist / community action on the ground that will draw the young away from the far right into more constructive outlets. All the UAF conferences and demos in the world won't help generate that.

All just my opinions of course.

Nigel and malatesta32 like this.
  12. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

Ajax has jewish roots.

13. Red Storm

Red Storm M14

Like I said in my previous post: the racial tension in Rochdale has been boiling over for at least a year. Remember the EDL did a demo there.

I was getting reports pretty much daily of this asian lad or that white kid being beaten up because of the racial tension. It is particularly bad in Deeplish.

I don't believe it has much of a direct link to the riots. Indirect sure (poverty, unemployment, etc).

manny-p and taffboy gwyrdd like this.
  14. Worrying that there was 2 consecutive stories on the national news re. EDL / various splinter groups. Any news from the Liverpool court case because the footage from BBC News seemed to show quite a few fash outside the courthouse.

15. malatesta32

ta taff, been away for a few days. too knacked to go thru it all! cheers!

16. SpineyNorman

SpineyNorman no not that one the other one

If there's one thing I hate more than racists it's people who insist on calling football soccer :mad:

Disclaimer: In reality I hate people who call football soccer slightly less than racists, and I make an exception for malatesta32 cos he seems alright. But he does need to stop with the soccer shite!

17. taffboy gwyrdd

Sorry to hear the specifics, there are other areas of Gtr Manchester with stuff bubbling away, although the wank fantasy race war of a deluded minority is a very long way off.

My point about the riots was kind of indirect - kids will come out for any old argy bargy.

BBC (not mega reliable but...) quoted figures of 100 for last nights muslamic peadogeddon arson. That's a fair bit down on some estimates at the time. From reading the MEN article on this I can only discern 2 arrests, which was pretty suprising.

18. xes

xes F.O.A.D

There was some EDL muppet in the pub last night, trying to get 2 young impressionalbles to go to some riot on march 6th (in luton somewhere) :facepalm:

19. taffboy gwyrdd

Did the impressionables seem to swallow it?

20. manny-p

manny-p candy coloured clown

In many cases its racism from both sides probably due to a lack of integration decades ago and as you say poverty and unemployment.

21. malatesta32

22. B0B2oo9

B0B2oo9 You're all Gay

23. john x

john x Well-Known Member

That will explain why there are only 300-odd at the rally, then! ;)

john x

24. B0B2oo9

B0B2oo9 You're all Gay

25. john x

john x Well-Known Member

taffboy gwyrdd and B0B2oo9 like this.
  26. bignose1

bignose1 Searchlight Spoiler

Some pics from today in Hyde...piss poor BNP turnout. EDL around 200 when it got on top with some in ASDA car park. So didnt stay right til end. The guy in grey hoodie is a Redwatch photographer and he got very close to Mosque taking pictures.

Attached Files:

27. bignose1

Just a few more.....note Gary Tumulty Salford BNP and Redwatch contributer holding Flag in centre...looked very sheepish today at such piss poor turnout. Was overheard pleading for EDL to help save the day.

Attached Files:

Delroy Booth, Das Uberdog and B0B2oo9 like this.
  28. malatesta32

the joint effort between bnp & edl in hyde seems to be around 600. piss poor for both parties' national demos. SDL even worse. 30 odd wankers in hoods standing about cluelessly. eejits.

Attached Files:

29. bignose1

BNP about 60 tops.......believe me they were all saying wheres so and so and I think there will be some serious recrims. That Redwatch photographer has been confirmed as Andrew Tierney brother of Liverpool BNP redneck Peter.
    EDL from 3 or 4 different news sources on the day say 350-400.

Das Uberdog and malatesta32 like this.
  30. malatesta32

beeb says 600 but edl/casuals estimate nearly 1 million! fuck all in glesgae!