1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Earplugs - do you use them?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by beesonthewhatnow, May 22, 2012.

?

Do you wear earplugs at gigs/clubs?

1. Always

13.0%
  2. Sometimes

34.8%
  3. Never

30.4%
  4. Eh? Pardon?

17.4%
  1. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

wish I had...

:(
  2. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

I take photographs at music gigs in pubs. I always wear earplugs which I carry in a pouch on my keyring. They are just silicone ones you can get from Superdrug or is it Boots - I can't remember. They come in a pack of six and doubtless are not as good as proper musicians ones, but they do the job in taking away the pain. They do not insert into the ear canal bit sit over it on the outside. They also come in handy when on public transport and there are people with high-pitched squeaky voices rabbiting on without a break.

I have tinnitus which was caused I suspect when I was younger getting too close to speakers at student gigs. My tinnitus is constant but at a low level until I hear something very loud then I wake up with a much worse ringing in my ears than usual.
  3. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

I wish I had used earplugs when I was younger - my hearing was damaged permanently by being 3 foot away from a massive wall of speakers for a couple of hours in the front row of a Kiss gig when I was a teenager. I could hear nothing besides whistling in my ears for a couple of days afterwards and although most of my hearing returned after a few days, I still suffer from quite bad tinnitus decades later. Having Gene Simmons waggle his tongue at me was pitiful compensation! These days I wear earplugs, I don't need any more damage.