1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Due to popular demand: U75 German class

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by zora, Oct 10, 2005.

1. zora

zora true to the crab

What with lots of people part-time emigrating to/holidaying in Berlin, there have been numerous requests for German lessons.
    Now that might have been the beer and ritalin speaking...but if a couple of people really want to do this I'm sure we can arrange something, hopefully with Choc's and Goldenecitrone's help!

There is quite a variation of levels: a couple of people are fluent in german already and want some conversation practice while others are more interested to learn how to order their drinks. (Phrase for the day: Ein Bier, bitte!)

So I think the best thing would be to meet up with everyone's who's interested and find out what they want to do and how to achieve it (alternatively we can always get pissed...) :)
    This is a London-based event btw, preferably north, but will travel! ;)
  2. han

han brixton hill hobbit

oooo! oooo! ooo! What a corkin' idea :)

Jan and i would be interested in this as we're planning to do some campervanning round Germany next summer and visit our chums in Angermunde and Bochum....

I'm afraid my German only extends to 'ich habe ein doppelkinn'.

'I have a double chin' - is that correct?! :D
  3. han

han brixton hill hobbit

Along with the bookgroup/walking/sewing, this would be another welcome addition to U75's <ahem> 'wholesome' ;) activity calendar, n'est pas!

ja!

:rolleyes:
  4. Choc

Choc non sense!

leider habe auch ich ein doppelkinn, scheisse :mad: ;)

i love zoras observation that german speaking would be nearly as cool as taking ritalin (more recently)...wonder how that comes about..? :D

but it is true the amount of people who actually speak german very well is amazing...

to add names to the list:

blind lemon mag

isvicthere

and isvicthere's mate ash

it is always a pleasure...although i don't think i would be a good teacher grammar wise all i can do is conversation.
  5. Xanadu

Xanadu Masterful but awkward

wie kommen ich am besten zum bahnhof, bitte?

is that right??? :oops:
  6. AnnaKarpik

AnnaKarpik Queen of all she surveys

Pity it's London cos newharper and I both speak German fairly well. I'm doing a German course at the OU now in the expectation that I'll get a much better grade than my E at A-level.;)
  7. AnnaKarpik

AnnaKarpik Queen of all she surveys

Wie komme Ich am besten zum Bahnhof, bitte?
  8. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

I promised to learn German if they won the last World Cup. Unfortunately Oliver Kamm threw that one in during the second half and that was the end of that.
  9. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

I've spent the last couple of weeks living in a German speaking place, I wouldn't ever want to learn it, it sounds so rough and harsh. Nein Danke!.
  10. Bob_the_lost

Bob_the_lost Elsewhere

I know that one! :D
  11. D

D Well-Known Member

I think German sounds lush and savory.

I am so jealous - I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll have to learn by some kind of self-taught CD thing... I can't take any of the classes available in San Fran because of my schedule.
  12. onemonkey

onemonkey winmonkey

yes please!
  13. ngeru

ngeru away with the fairies

<puts hand up>

oh count me in! :) :cool:

Ich habe Deutsch für vier Jahre an Schule gelernt, aber jetzt mein Deutsch ist schlecht!

(& yes I had to write the above in English, then run it through an online program to get the translation right. :rolleyes: )
  14. hovis

hovis Vor dem Gesetz

Michel Thomas CDs are good.

Ich lerne Deutsch schon seit zwei Jahre! Ich moechte mein Deutsch zu practizeiren. Wenn moechten Sie auch Ihre Deutsche practizieren, koennen sie zu mir eine PM schrieben. Aber ich bin nicht gut mit 'adjective endings'! :D

Tchuss!
  15. ngeru

One of my biggest regrets in not practising German. Amost 14 years on after my last German lesson, my skills have regressed way back to basic first year level. I can barely construct a German sentence properly these days. Although my reading skills are better!
  16. etnea

etnea EXTERMINIEREN

I'm half German and would be very happy to help out with this if people want. Would be nice to get a bit of conversational practice too. Btw, I've always noticed I speak foreign languages MUCH better after a few beers...
    :D
  17. guinnessdrinker

guinnessdrinker political refugee R.I.P.

the proper way to learn a language is down the pub....

(and it's not just a joke, BTW)
  18. zenie

zenie >^^<

I learnt German at school quite an easy to language to learn and you can pick it up again fairly quickly in the right situation.

Can hardly remember anything right now though :rolleyes:

*mind blank*

wait .. wait

wie gehts?

es mir gut danke :p

(Is that right?)
  19. guinnessdrinker

guinnessdrinker political refugee R.I.P.

I always thought that life was too short to learn german :) but maybe the german beer purity laws will prove me the opposite.....
  20. D

D Well-Known Member

Vielen Dank! I have some Michel Thomas on my iPod, so every once in a while during the song shuffle I get some conjugations thrown in the mix.
  21. schnickschnack

schnickschnack wie bitte?

Ah, und ich bin Deutschlehrerin! But after living in England for 10 years my German is regressing unfortunately.. Also ich brauche auch etwas Übung!
  22. Isambard

Isambard Dab of Rioja, Kitten? :D

Ist nichts für Vanille Tunten! ;)
  23. ngeru

almost! i'd say:

wie geht's?

mir geht's gut danke

or

mir geht es gut danke

but then i'm way out of practice so could be wrong! :rolleyes: :oops:

(resists temptation to use the online translation pgm - just!)
  24. treefrog

treefrog Balbi's weightlifting amazonian raptor

I'm well up for this (as long as I can find time to do it- very busy this year) Where/when?

My skill level is- never had a lesson in my life. If you can call that a level...
  25. the B

the B Sorry

I wouldn't mind trying a bit. Been... 6 years since my last German lesson...
  26. Callie

Callie Pivoting

can someone tell me...if links is left and recht is right, what is straight on?

Ich bin einzelkind und das isnt nicht meinen wellensitisch! :mad:

[​IMG]
  27. schnickschnack

schnickschnack wie bitte?

Gott sei Dank ist das nicht dein Wellensittich! Er ist tot.
    Straight on is geradeaus.
  28. zora

zora true to the crab

Vielleicht liegt dieser Wellensittich auch nur gerne auf dem Ruecken; das ist gut fuer seine Wirbelsaeule! ;)

There's no stopping you lot, is there? Just as well that a proper german teacher seems to have signed up! *waves hello at schnickschnack*. Since I haven't got any teaching experience and can be just as tongue-tied in my native language as in english, my role was always just going to be to organise the piss-up and be some kind of stand-by dictionary.

So where/when? Some time next week be good for anyone for an initial meet-up? Tuesday or wednesday maybe? Or is that too soon?
  29. zora

zora true to the crab

Danke, du mich auch! :D
  30. Choc

Choc non sense!

i second the theory with alcohol related language fluency...i know it myself and on vics birthday on saturday i swear he actually was fluent telling me all about football, david and the red card und wer weiss was sonst noch... :D

ich hatte auch mal einen gruenen wellensittich uebrigens, genau wie auf callies photo, er hiess dixie.... viel spaeter stellte sich heraus das er anstatt eines maennchens ein weibchen war und eier gelegt hat...das war ein fest :)

ich fand es ein bischen schade das dieser wellensittich im pic schon tod war..

i am always up for a bit of a meet up...somehow i think next week might be too early though...let's hype it a bit longer i'd say ;)