1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

drug raids on coldharbour lane

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by passpat2, Jun 17, 2004.

1. passpat2

passpat2 New Member

there must be at least 100 cops on coldharbour lane... they're raiding at least 4 places at the mo.... all drugs related.... makes a change from watching the tennis!!!

2. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

I've got to type fast or I won't get back for final whistle. Is it fucking up traffic?

3. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

any update? Traffic holdups?

4. hendo

hendo Fish finger sandwiches

29 arrests, says the Met.

5. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

I've got a flyer from the boys in blue.....they're handing 'em out to anyone going up or down CHL.....The places turned over are (according to the flyer) Pedro Keys, Nyam Foods and 412 Coldharbour Lane....I haven't got time to transcribe it because I'm meant to be somewhere else but if I have time when I get back home tomorrow night I will.....they arrested everybody in Pedro Keys without exception (according to the beat officer) but the Ladies who cook in Nyam Foods were still there so I don't think take-aways are off the menu....dunno about 412......

6. hatboy

hatboy Banned Banned

414. Surprising. :confused: Hope that's mistaken.

7. Mrs Magpie

I put 412 (twice) not 414.........you're the one that's mistaken...read it again......I just have and nowhere does it say 414.

8. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

Pedro Keys is well and truly shut.

The door has been replaced by a big metal door with a sticker emphatically declaring, "ANOTHER DRUG DEALER GONE!", so I can only assume that the police have a rock solid case against the owner.

9. Mrs Magpie

Something similar happened when that premises was raided before but it sprang up again under another guise.....I did see the owner/manager or whoever he is, being led down the road in quick-cuffs earlier on today....he looked less confident than usual, somehow......

10. hatboy

hatboy Banned Banned

Sorry, my mistake. Thought that would have been completely wrong.

Mods please remove my error from this thread. :)

11. piratetv

piratetv ultimate bandwidth whore

That flyer that the police were giving out only serves to prove to me that this was just a full blown media excercise.....10 minutes before the raid happened it was apparent that a lot of the usual "regulars" on the lane were walking briskly away so perhaps they knew that the flyers had been in production !

This action by the police certainly will not make me feel any safer tomorrow than i felt yesterday.

12. Anna Key

Anna Key Banned Banned

I saw this too poster too. Can anyone tell me how the Police know this information to be true, and feel able publish it as a poster, pre-trial?

Guilty before proven guilty? :confused:

13. editor

Possibly - but if they found enough drugs in there that's enough to support their claim.

And let's just say I haven't met a single soul who has expressed the slightest surprise about the place being busted for drug dealing.

14. Anna Key

Anna Key Banned Banned

Not until it's been tested in court, surely? Evidence isn't conviction. It's just that: evidence.

The police, of course, love this sort of thing. Let's dispense with solicitors, barristers, judges, courts and juries and leave it all up to the desk sergeant.

15. hendo

I'd have thought a defence team could have a field day in court with a sticker like that.

16. Anna Key

Anna Key Banned Banned

Hopefully they'll get down there with a camera pronto.

17. Mrs Magpie

I want to know why it was called Pedro Keys...isn't the little island south of Jamaica called Pedro Cays? I've always had the urge to nip up a ladder with a pot of paint and correct it......

18. editor

If you're that bothered, why don't you start up a 'Free Pedro Keys' campaign and see how much support you get from the local community?

19. editor

Not if it doesn't name an individual, I would have thought,

20. miss minnie

miss minnie Well-Known Member

depends on the actual wording of the flyer/poster/sticker. if it says, as suggested 'another drug dealer gone' then it is possibly too vague. after all - what is that saying? it doesn't name the premises or persons involved. it could be taken as merely a general 'slogan' of some local police initiative.

i guess the libel laws would apply and reckon the police might have had it passed by legal eagles prior to production. but maybe not...

21. Heathcliff

Heathcliff Banned Banned

I think you are right that it is called Pedro Cays but it is pronounced Pedro Keys. :D

22. Anna Key

Anna Key Banned Banned

It's stuck on the premises so it's reasonable to assume it refers to the premises.

23. Anna Key

Anna Key Banned Banned

Because if they're guilty I don't want them free. My concern is that people who may have been menacing the community may go free because of a police fuck-up.

Why don't you start up a 'Support Police Fuck-Ups' campaign and see how much support you get from the local community?

24. editor

You seem to be having an awful lot of 'concerns' with knowing any of the facts.

What evidence have you that the police have fucked up this raid?
    What evidence have you that the sticker on the door would in any way prejudice the case?
    What do you know about the law in this case?
    What do you know about this specific case?
    Anything?
    Anything at all?

25. Anna Key

Anna Key Banned Banned

Keep your hair on dear.

I saw the posters last night with some neighbours. We read the sticker in the window and all thought 'Police Fuck-Up.' You can't accuse someone of being a drug dealer pre-trial.

Well you can, but as Hendo says the defence team will have a field day.

Now, if they have been menacing the neighbourhood (as the poster suggests) I want them to go down. So I don't want the police to fuck up by pre-judging the findings of a jury in a silly poster.

26. editor

They haven't. They haven't named anyone. Do keep up.

27. hendo

I've got no brief for Pedro Keys, but surely its the business of the police to prevent and detect crime rather than label the business premises of their detainees.

I've got a lot of time for the Met, but sometimes they're as concerned with how something is perceived as the actual substance of what they're achieving.

You can understand their enthusiasm to explain to Brixton what yesterday was all about. But they also have a duty to be fair, and I'd say putting a sticker on the place is a tad strong.

But i dare say m'learned friends will have a much more informed view, and the police have their own lawyers who'll have said this sort of thing is acceptable.

28. editor

It's been policy around here for ages. Whenever they close down a crack house on the estate, a great big sticker and billboard goes up outside.

I'm going to take a look now and see what else is on the shop (has anyone actually read the whole thing yet?)

29. Choc

Choc Eco Warrior

good news to my ears that something has been done, the streets are wild/scary around here these days (especially in the night).

30. Anna Key

Anna Key Banned Banned

I didn't say they had named anyone. Do keep up.

The police have fly-posted a notice onto the barricaded door of a Coldharbour Lane business. The notice reads:
    This notice implies that a person arrested at the premises yesterday - the premises to which the notice is attached - is the drug dealer referred to in the notice.