1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dracula on itv tomorrow

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by nightowl, Oct 30, 2006.

1. nightowl

nightowl hamster wheel called life

i notice they're showing the 1979 version staring frank langella. not shown that often on terrestrial tv. very underrated version in my opinion
  2. Tox06

Tox06 New Member

Yes it's excellent, and faithful to the book. The bits with Lucy Westenra are really creepy.
  3. nightowl

that's the scene i was thinking of. really scared me shitless as a kid
  4. Tox06

Tox06 New Member

:) Me too.
  5. bellator

bellator Well-Known Member

Have never seen this movie so will give it a go!
  6. Tox06

Tox06 New Member

Not a movie - it's a long TV drama, but very, very, creepy.
  7. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

Count Yorga, Vampire was on last night. Great vampire movie.
  8. Tox06

Tox06 New Member

I saw that years ago - about 1978 or so I guess. Very, very good.
  9. nightowl

probably the most faithful one i've seen to the book was one that the beeb did back in the 1970s. they showed it again a couple of years back. effects were a bit dated but still very good
  10. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

It's fun, but it's probably one of the least faithful versions, being based on the 1920's play rather than the Bram Stoker novel. This included leaving out the first third of the novel about Jonathan Harker's stay at Dracula's castle in Transylvania, switching the characters of Lucy and Mina, reducing the amount of characters to about a third of the characters in the book and changing Dracula from an inhuman monster to an Errol Flynn style romantic anti-hero.
  11. Louloubelle

Louloubelle Well-Known Member

I remember seeing this as a kid and it was really scary

For some reason the bit I found scariest was dracula climbing up the side of the building flapping his cape. His movements were very jerky and I suppose just thinking about it now were probably kind of sexual but as a kid it made him very, very scary