1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downton Abbey

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by madzone, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

My grandfather also used to say Well done that man!
  2. oryx

oryx Gamey Winehouse

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Never mind......
  3. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

Lets get back to Mrs Patmore's pies....
  4. Espresso

Espresso Well-Known Member

That labrador in the opening credits is conspicuous by its absence of late. Maybe she's been dishing up Rover pies to the recuperating officers
  5. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Anti-homelessness stud.

There's lots of other anachronisms.

Mrs Patmore's remarkable eye surgery. Yes, they'd have been able to remove her cataracts, but she'd be wearing huge thick glasses for the rest of her life. Remarkably, she now had fully correct vision, an outcome only much more recently possible.
  6. London_Calling

There's a fairly obv. reason you don't see a lot of bottle thick specs on tv and it's not because of an anachronism - it's too inherently comedic and distracting to drama.
  7. danny la rouge

Is it that Mr Magoo is heavily copyrighted?
  8. London_Calling

[​IMG]

Sorry Mrs Patmore, you were saying.......
  9. Mrs Magpie

It's drama...nothing wrong with a bit of anachronism as long as it's not too glaring..I mean I'd be a bit nonplussed if Edith whipped out a mobile and sent a quick text....sometimes something clearly a bit shonky on the authentic period detail can still be brilliant viewing......
  10. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

please don't point out all the mistakes... it makes me sad. :(

I just wanted Lady Mary to get off with Matthew but actually recently he's getting on my nerves a bit anyway.... I can see why the young one is interested in the chauffeur though.. that has real naughty roll-in-hay and get greasy with oil potential.
  11. London_Calling

I don't think anything unintentional has been pointed out yet....

The only thing that does concern me in that sense is that odd Canadian strand we've talked about. The more I think about it the more that has to play a significant part in the finale. Fwiw, I'm working on the basis he'll be back - in letter or person - and may well wisk orf Lady Edith, or lay claim to the earldom....dom dom dom...

I quite like Edith now, she always seems to look startled.
  12. Mrs Magpie

I like Lavinia but only because she looks just like someone I worked with and liked enormously.
  13. Mrs Magpie

I also have to thank Pip for my Downton Abbey addiction...I didn't know ITV did costume drama on this scale and, more to the point I thought only the BBC had the facilities for watching via a computer until she led me gently by the hand towards the site :oops: Adverts are really irritating though, aren't they?
  14. London_Calling

They are.

It's quite cunning that this is designed to run for just under 60 minutes without adverts - which is what you want for the boxset market, yet with adverts it neatly overlaps the start of Match of the Day by 15 minutes. Dead clever.
  15. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

we have live record.. so we pause it when it starts long enough to be able to forward through the adverts... they're so annoying!
  16. Mrs Magpie

Andy Hamilton (iirc) made a good joke on the radio, saying a sure-fire box-office hit would be Downton Abbey On Ice. It made for a wonderful mental image that I can't quite stop from popping up at random moments....I found myself wondering how they'd choreograph the flu pandemic....
  17. oryx

oryx Gamey Winehouse

Sorry, they crack me up though. More frighteningly, it makes me worry that I am turning into the late Pa Oryx, for whom pointing out anachronisms in TV dramas was practically a hobby. :oops::oops:

We usually record it so can fast-forward the annoying ads, though my partner is not a happy bunny that we didn't record the first 15 minutes of Nowhere Boy (watched last night) 'cos it clashed with DA.
  18. London_Calling

You haven't pointed any anachronisms out yet, althought you seem keen to think they're everywhere.

I only mention it because writers generally put an awful lot of effort into what they produce. And after that a whole series of editors and producers do the same with many, many versions of that script as it evolves.
  19. oryx

oryx Gamey Winehouse

There are quite a few articles online about the subject (which I looked up days before I looked at this thread!)

If you google Downton Abbey anachronisms you get some quite funny articles.
  20. Mrs Magpie

It's back! To be honest I don't think it's the same lab as the one in the titles seems quite plodding and old and the lab tonight seemed young and bouncy.
  21. susie12

susie12 Well-Known Member

Oh dear - I'm afraid I lol-ed when Matthew sprang up from his wheelchair and guess what, his spine is just bruised! Wonderful! And Sybil only needed a sharp look from Lady Mary to forget her Irish freedom fantasy and run back to Downton! But what on earth is his lordship doing with the sexy maid? It is veering from drama to melodrama I fear, but I'm still enjoying it :hmm:
  22. danny la rouge

They're going to be doing sexy. :cool:
  23. bi0boy

bi0boy .

I am waiting for the Lord Grantham vs Sir Richard shouting match.
  24. London_Calling

I liked it when the sisters burst into the pub bedroom and, after noting baby sis in the bed and paddy in the chair, exclaimed 'thank God we're not too late!'. Made me recall the ardent Turkish chapie from S1 - that was proper Edwardian farce.

And daddy in the pantry with the war widow/singe mum - I fear his wife no longer 'understands him'. Being tempted by the apple though..... come on, Mr Fellowes.

Has it got a tad too silly, do you think?
  25. danny la rouge

Got too silly? It's very silly and always has been.
    Mrs Magpie likes this.
  26. bi0boy

bi0boy .

I bet they'll mention that Hitler bloke seemingly doing good things for the German economy before the end of this series.
  27. London_Calling

You don't watch it do you, cos otherwise you'd know you're 15-20 years too early.
  28. bi0boy

bi0boy .

Well it was 1912 and now it's 1919 and Sybil is 21. Things are speeding up. Hitler was around in the twenties so it won't be long.
  29. London_Calling

"things are speeding up"....
  30. gosub

gosub ~#

there's around, and there's in power, which he started being in the 30's, next series or even the one after depending on how far into 20's they go this time.

Not enough death for my liking