1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dog with kidney failure - urgent

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by scumbalina, Mar 10, 2008.

1. scumbalina

scumbalina Scummy Mummy

We just took the dog in for a check up as he's been a bit under the weather and dosen't seem to have gotten on well with the food he was prescribed for kidney failure last month. they took some blood and just phoned saying his levels have dropped way more than they should have done, they're dangerously low and he only has 30% kidney function (his last blood test was a couple of months ago and he was doing really well). Mr S has just rushed him back to the vets, they're putting him on a drip overnight but say the prognosis isn't good.

I'm totally freaked and shocked and in pieces, sorry if this is a bit muddly but I'm pretty much typing between sobs here. is there anything we can do? If there's any treatments anyone knows of, anything at all? We don't know what they mean by the prognosis isn't good - months, weeks, what? All I can think is there must be something we can do or try, I'm kinda desperate her and in the dark so any help/advice/hope would be really appreciated, I'm guessing it's pretty urgent, so if anyone has heard of some new treatment please shout it out.
  2. May Kasahara

May Kasahara blasphemous sponge

Sorry mate, I know fuck all about dogs but just wanted to give you a big virtu-hug and let you know I'm thinking of you. It's not a nice situation to be in :( xxx
  3. scumbalina

scumbalina Scummy Mummy

Thanks, hugs also good, not feeling too great
  4. equationgirl

equationgirl the internet persona of Durham Cathedral

So sorry to hear this scumbalina, hang in there. {{{scumbalina & thumbalina & doggie}}}
  5. coccinelle

coccinelle Well-Known Member

I've only had one cat of my own, so I'm not an expert. But one thing I learned from my cat was that if he's starting to fail, and his life quality is getting bad, then don't agonize, let him go. It's the best thing to do for him. He is going to have to go, this week or perhaps next or perhaps the week after and if you keep him alive and he's suffering, then it's wrong.

I'm sorry but there's no easy way to say it.
  6. scumbalina

scumbalina Scummy Mummy

Euthenasia hasn't come up yet
  7. zenie

zenie >^^<

Is it very old? :(

What treatment are they suggesting?

Thinking of you!
  8. Chairman Meow

Chairman Meow Perth, WA

No advice, just sympathy . How old is he? Do you have insurance?
  9. scumbalina

scumbalina Scummy Mummy

He's 10/11

He was diagnosed a coup[le of months ago, they weren't too worried, just put him on a prescription diet, some medication and said come back again for a blood test in a couple of months and that once he was stablised on the food/meds they'd see about giving him a "flush out". But we took him today as he'd been a bit peaky and they took blood, then rang back a minute ago saying bring him straight back to be put on a drip as he's really ill, it's not looking good. I'm guessing when we pick him up tommorow they'll discuss any other ideas, or maybe they'll talk to Mr S about them now. I just want to be armed with loads of suggestions and ideas incase they miss anything.
  10. scumbalina

scumbalina Scummy Mummy

No insurance, but we'll beg, borrow or max out a million credit cards if we have to.
  11. scumbalina

scumbalina Scummy Mummy

I just want something to suggest we can try when Mr S gets back from the vet :(
  12. Chairman Meow

Chairman Meow Perth, WA

I know its hard, but your vet really will know best.
  13. scumbalina

scumbalina Scummy Mummy

True. Luckily he was my fave vet, who makes a real fuss of them, so I know he's with someone extra caring. He's never spent a night at the vets before, and our dogs have never spent a night apart from each other. I sent him with his favourite bed, hope they let him have it
  14. scumbalina

scumbalina Scummy Mummy

I'm gonna go meet Mr S as I don't like the thought of him walking back from the vets all alone, will check back later
  15. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I am afraid that our cat had kidney failure and there was basically nothing we could do. We started on a special diet (like you) and then when she did not really respond and stopped eating we were back to the Vet and the suchlike. In the end she stopped eating altogether, lost all energy and will to live and ended up sat in the same place seeming to be almost permanently asleep. In the end there was nothing for it but to take her to the vet and have her put to sleep. It was very sad but, a small mercy, at the end she did not feel any pain, she went out like a light.

Hope the prognosis is better for your dog than it was for our cat.
  16. blues

blues Doesn't say much!

As above, except the night before the final trip to the vets, I fed her tuna and cream cos it sure as fuck didn't matter by then!

At 70% failure, which is unlikely to be reversable, there's really only dialysis that even might be an option. Even so, you're only buying more time and depending on how your dog feels about regular visits to the vet for this, you have to ask yourself is it worth it?

Unless there's something out there that can reverse the damage that's news to me, I'm sorry I can't give you a more positive response, but the quality of life at only 30% functionality with dialysis and unable to enjoy any treats or even regular food, I just don't think is fair to the dog or you.
  17. dessiato

dessiato Galatians 6:10

Some years ago one of my dogs had this problem, we kept him for about a couple of weeks during which time he started to have fits, we spoke to the vet who said that there was nothing that could be done for him, and that he would start to suffer. It was one of the worst decision I had to make, and even now brings tears to my eyes, because he had been a wonderful dog and a great friend. But at least he was able to go with dignity and without pain in the end.

I hope this isn't the case for you dog, and that he can live a full life.

(((scumbalina and family)))
  18. mysterygirl

mysterygirl Stealth visit from work

They will let him have his bed unless it will do him harm in some way. It will be a familiar scent to him, and keep him calm and therefore more comfortable.

Im so sorry to hear your news. See what the vet says tomorrow. You can be only guided by their advice and your own common sense. I wish you all the luck in the world, and the courage to be brave if it should be necessary. Im sorry I haven't got anything more helpful to say. :(

XXX
  19. scumbalina

scumbalina Scummy Mummy

Thanks all. Am feeling bit calmer this morning after a night of freaking out, I think it was a bit naive of me to think I'd post a notice on a few message boards and someone would announce a miracle cure that my vet hadn't heard of, but panic had set in :rolleyes: Have decided optimism is the way forward!

Spent last night looking up all the supplements, foods, treatments etc that I could find that might help, gonna take them in to the vets and see if he thinks they're all safe so we can at least give it our best shot - don;t feel like we've got much to lose right now.

I should point out that apart from being a bit grotty the past couple of days (he was sick a few times, been off his food and his teeth looked manky) our boy is totally comfortable and seems normal, we're not looking to prolong his suffering or anything, but it's been such a shock as he seems fine, and as long as he's still got a good quality of life, enjoys his walks and snuggling up by the fire, playing with his toys and if we can get eating to not be an issue then we're gonna throw everything we can at this. Obviously if he continues to go downhill and/or is going to need a lot of distressing treatments then we'll have to rethink things.

The poor other dog is not very happy, took him for a walk late last night and he was totally freaked, got all frighhtened by a plastic bag and wanted to go home, I don't think he feels very brave on his own :(
  20. longdog

longdog Dunno, don't care and gotta go mate.

I'm not vet but...

When my Meg was really ill she seemed to be helped a lot by having a diet largely made up of chicken.

The nice lady in Tesco would keep me back a couple of ready roast, reduced to clear birds every night :)

Worth a go if the vet agrees.
  21. dogmatique

dogmatique merde alors

Not a vet, but hoping that it's just a bad phase - urinary and kidney specific diets can do wonders, if a bit costly - though I know that's not a consideration.

If there's no improvement though...

Keeping fingers crossed. ;)
  22. scumbalina

scumbalina Scummy Mummy

Thanks. :)

The boy is home, has eaten almost all his dinner (seems very happy that the vet is letting us mix rice in with his rubbish prescription food - we're gonna slowly move him over to home cooked diet) and has new medicine. He seems to have done well on the drip, and had a little bounce about early. Have written a long list of questions regarding supplements/different treatments for his poor vet (he wasn't there tonight) to look at when he has another check up in a few days so we can get the okay before I start ordering stuff willy nilly. Feeling a lot more optomistic now I've seen him and have a bit of an action plan - feel a bit :oops: about last nights paniced posting but really got the impression from the vet that it was the end of the line :( So pleased to have him home, gonna snuggle him to pieces tonight :cool:
  23. dogmatique

dogmatique merde alors

Bless. He's obviously in great hands *sniff*
  24. Strumpet

Strumpet gypsy girl

*sends big positive vibes doggy's way*
    :)
  25. lynne8

lynne8 Well-Known Member

My best wishes to you and your doggie. :(
  26. 8den

8den Professional Misanthrope

Urban was great when my dog got sick a few years ago. Didn't dare open this thread incase there was bad news. Great to hear scumbalina.
  27. scumbalina

scumbalina Scummy Mummy

Thanks all, I'm afraid he's taken a bit of a down turn overnight, he's a bit wobbly and subdued and won't eat - about to go to the butchers and buy something tempting then ring the vet :(
  28. mrs quoad

mrs quoad ¡pǝlqɐsıp ƃuıƃƃɐʇ sɐɥ ;ǝpnɹ ʇou

(((((doggy))))) :(
  29. scumbalina

scumbalina Scummy Mummy

It would appear the way to a dog's heart is a combination of rice, grated carrot, olive oil, full fat beef mince and boiled egg :cool:

*watches nervously to see if he keeps it all down*
  30. scumbalina

scumbalina Scummy Mummy

Just got back from vets after dog started pissing fucking blood clots a couple of hours ago:( Thought it was a real turn for the worse but it turns out it's probably just an infection - poor fuckers in loads of pain though. He's been anti-bioticed up to the nines but is off his food again. Never been so pleased to see anyone walk though a pair of doors as I was to see Mr S come out the vets with him tonight.

Have spent day struggling with all the different opinions and viewpoints of the situation and how to handle his diet, supplements, medication etc....all a bit overwhelming, so bumped incase anyone missed this who might be able to help...