1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does this look right? I've plumbed a washing machine outlet with non-return valve

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Minnie_the_Minx, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

into kitchen sink waste pipe, and I just want to check that it looks right as I've never done anything to do with pipes before.

Don't want to get new washing machine only to discover I've bodged the job and start flooding the kitchen :oops:

Attached Files:

2. bi0boy

bi0boy .

It looks like you just tucked the end of the waste hose between the waste pipe and the wall. :D

3. Minnie_the_Minx

I did

You're not supposed to be looking at that:mad:, you're supposed to be looking at the new white bit of plastic on that long waste pipe that's running along the wall. ;)

4. bi0boy

bi0boy .

Oh, seems ok, but don't you want a U-bend?

5. Minnie_the_Minx

erm no.

I hope not. The water will go out from washing machine hose and into that long pipe won't it and that long pipe is the waste pipe from the sink

you're getting me worried I've put it in the wrong place now :confused::(

PS: A u-bend didn't come with the kit

6. bi0boy

bi0boy .

I've always put them into the sink waste before the U-bend, rather than after, like this:

[​IMG]

But I haven't had a non-return valve, maybe it doesn't matter if you have one.

7. Minnie_the_Minx

Yeah, he offered me a u-bend thingy but it didn't have non-return valve so picked the other kit.

Guy in the shop didn't mention anything about a u-bend, but then he also forgot to give me a 1.5 inch cap to cape that pipe off that you see above the bucket

8. Minnie_the_Minx

Ah, I think I need not panic. It looks like I've done it right, although now I'm wishing I'd done it further over towards the sink. If machine ever needs to be moved to a new location, hose may be too short as I'm guessing I'm going to have to cut it off yes, or no?

[​IMG]

9. sheothebudworths

sheothebudworths Up the bum - no babies!!!

Minnie you really are the coolest! :cool: :D :cool:

10. sheothebudworths

Soz - that's not helpful at all - I don't know about this one :hmm: not at all.

11. sheothebudworths

I still don't even understand the original photo :D but I'm sure you'd always be able to extend an exisiting bit of pipe/hose, iyswim?

12. Minnie_the_Minx

Are you taking the piss? :hmm::oops:

13. Minnie_the_Minx

What I mean is, when I get new washing machine, I assume I'm going to hack a large bit of the hose off to avoid kinking, but then, say washing machine is relocated for some reason, it might end up being too short and I'll end up having to get a hose extension, so therefore, I think I should have put that drain kit much further to the left to avoid having to cut so much off IYSWIM?

14. Minnie_the_Minx

PS: The original photo shows a pipe in the bucket. The pipe has a u-bend on it that was connected to that pipe that goes into the wall and is hanging over the bucket. It was a standpipe set-up, but apparently not a good one, but I can't explain why. Something to do with it being too low or erm.... something else, which could... er.... I forget

15. denniseagle

denniseagle ding dong the witch is dead

?????????? why have you 2 connections to the pipe but only ONE shut off which is after the first connection( the blue thingy on the connection ) you do not need an non return valve at all.I take it your washing machine has one feed pipe (cold water) so why do you need 2 connections??
    Also you should have a u bend thingy as you call it for the drain pipe from the washing machine if only to prevent unwanted odours.
    Using the outlet pipe as pictured could result in the outlet pipe from the washing machine( grey pipe) jumping out of the outlet pipe ( white pipe) when on rinse or final spin program on washing machine .

16. Minnie_the_Minx

Dennis

The old washing machine (which will be gone on Tuesday, to be replaced by a cold-water fill only) had a hot and cold water fill.

Isn't the non-return valve to stop waste-water from the sink backing up into washing machine? Or to stop water from washing machine going into kitchen sink? Or something? :hmm:

17. Minnie_the_Minx

Now I'm totally confused. Where am I supposed to put a u-bend?

18. Minnie_the_Minx

Isn't that what a jubilee clip's for, to secure the hose?

19. Minnie_the_Minx

There's no u-bend here

[​IMG]

20. Minnie_the_Minx

Are there no plumbers or DIYers here at all? :(

21. free spirit

free spirit more tea vicar?

you need a u bend in it otherwise you'll get nasty smells coming up from the drains.

possibly unless the waste pipe itself actually screws on to the fitting, and the washing machine itself already has an internal u bend, but afaik that's not normally the case.

22. Minnie_the_Minx

"Unless the waste pipe itself actually screws on to the fitting"?

Do you mean the hose from the washing machine?

23. free spirit

free spirit more tea vicar?

I wouldn't worry about what I meant, as it was a hypothetical based on the diagram you posted, rather than relating to your situation where the pipe obviously doesn't screw together, and I've never actually seen one that did.

what you've done will work, but I'd think will result in bad smells coming out of the pipe without a U / S bend type fitting... ok, I've just checked, and apparently there are alternative versions called self sealing waste valves which it's possible you may have got a version of, which wouldn't be obvious from the photo, but if not then you need to get a u/s bend or self sealing waste valve in there. Or shall I start the 'my kitchen's smells really bad' thread for you?

24. Minnie_the_Minx

Well it's been occurring to me that if we don't get bad smells coming off the sink, then why would there be smells coming out of washing machine if they're both emptying out to the same pipe?

The whole kit is called a "drain out kit", "drain away kit" with a non-return valve apparently. It's self cutting. I hurt my wrist cutting the hole in the pipe. :mad:

25. Minnie_the_Minx

Here's a picture of one as it's not really clear from my photo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Minnie_the_Minx

quick bump as I only have tomorrow to correct this if I've done it wrong

27. bi0boy

bi0boy .

Make your own U-bend in the grey waste pipe.

28. bi0boy

bi0boy .

Your sink has a U-bend or bottle trap, no? Your w/machine bypasses that.

29. Minnie_the_Minx

Yes, sink has a u-bend. Sink area is to the left of where the washing machine will be located

30. bi0boy

bi0boy .

So the sink is protected from smells coming up from the drain, but the washing machine isn't.

FWIW it should be fine and not flood. If you find the washing machine smells after a while, you can always modify the plumbing. It should be trvial to fit a second U-bend between your grey waste hose and that fitting you've got there.