1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does no one THINK about Christmas presents anymore?

Discussion in 'Wintervaltide - Xmas and Year Review 2011' started by mrsfran, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

Well it's also about the fact it's a printed message because her hands are so arthritic she can't write anymore and that makes me sad. Plus for the last three years she hasn't got anyone anything which does make me happy because I know Christmas just puts her into a spin of panic because she used to be the Christmas Queen making sure everyone had a wonderful time but also because she feels so guilty about being unable to do it any more and I wish she wouldn't.

2. Mrs Magpie

...plus she just can't afford £30.

3. ymu

ymu Niall Ferguson's deep-cover sock-puppet

I've been quite badly hurt by bad gifts from my brother a couple of times. Not because they were unwanted, but by the obvious lack of thought that went into them. I'd much rather have a no present policy than regular confirmation that he doesn't give a shit.

baldrick likes this.
  4. Mrs Magpie

It's not the flowers that have upset me, it's what they represent.

5. Lo Siento.

Lo Siento. Second As Farce

But if a good gift isn't any kind of debt or obligation, then why should I have expectations about it?

6. Lo Siento.

Hurt? Maybe he's just crap at giving presents? If someone treats me with a lot of love and care throughout the year, a shit present isn't going to bother me.

7. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

I'm sorry, are you the gift police or something? I am allowed to be offended, okay.

Gifts are not compulsory but some thought as to what to buy is the whole point of a gift in my mind. If someone cannot be bothered to even think about what I might like, then why spend anything? Just save the money.

8. ymu

ymu Niall Ferguson's deep-cover sock-puppet

He doesn't treat me with love and care throughout the year. :D

9. Greebo

Greebo Free the Priceless One

I suppose it's because this time of year throws relationships, and who owes what to whom etc into sharper relief than usual. So if for example I buy something over £5 for the much better off relatives, the only way they can feel comfortable with it is by immediately reminding me that I shouldn't have and that I was reckless with what little cash I have.

Edited to add: FWIW I don't spend what I can't spare, but if I ever overspent the only person it hurt was me.

10. Voley

Voley And a rovin' a rovin' a rovin' I'll go ...

I've never considered that any of my presents might actually offend anyone.
    [​IMG]

Meltingpot and Yu_Gi_Oh like this.
  11. Lo Siento.

haha, there's your problem then :D

12. Lo Siento.

To give you a token of some kind, any kind at Christmas? Tbh, a generic gift and a asked for gift are exactly the same in terms of thought and effort going into it, ie. zero.

13. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

true. i think other issues are colouring my perception of this particular gift. from anyone else i think i would have just put it aside and not over-analysed it. it's been a weird old year for friendship in a lot of ways.

14. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

kyser used to do this kind of wilful refusal to acknowledge the complexity of human relationships much more entertainingly.

baldrick likes this.
  15. quimcunx

quimcunx christmas miracles ain't all that

Ah, yes. I remember it well.

16. Santino

You wore a gown of gold.

17. quimcunx

I was all in blue.

18. Santino

How young and gay.

19. quimcunx

old and camp more like.

20. Santino

Prince of love, thankyouverymuch.

21. quimcunx

Ah, yes, that's what I meant to say.

22. Santino

Ah, yes , I remember it well.

23. quimcunx

ah, yes, that is also what I meant to say.

You lost your hair?

24. Santino

I lost a comb.

25. quimcunx

You mooned my mum?

26. Santino

That dazzling April moon!

27. quimcunx

Ah yes, she remembers it well.

28. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

You can't be a lapsed Jew, only a lapsed Judaist. :p

29. Ceej

Ceej Where is my mind?

I can see why - I actually feel quite upset for you, but you can't change people (especially elderly mum's and m-i-l's - I have one of each and I know.) I bet she's really pleased to have done something so nice for you though.

((Mrs M))

30. Yu_Gi_Oh

Yu_Gi_Oh 天天好心情

Would you not want any kind of unsolicited gift, even if it wasn't Christmas? I often buy people stuff that I see if it makes me think of them and I can afford it, and just give it to them, not for any birthday or special occasion. I hadn't really considered that could make people uncomfortable, would it bother you?

I think I've been Koreanised into giving people stuff to show my warm feelings for them. There is something really nice about giving/receiving things just because, rather than because it's the day when you MUST give gifts. Of course if people don't want anything then it wouldn't be really nice. :oops:

I can totally see how being given stuff just because it's purple could be aggravating though! :D