1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you consider yourself an audiophile?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Doctor Carrot, Apr 5, 2010.

?

Are you an audiophile?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. No

66 vote(s)
    41.3%
  3. Audiophiles are deluded bullshitters

78 vote(s)
    48.8%
  1. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

Clue, it wasn't the speaker cables that was the problem.

2. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

The cables from your stereo to your speakers will NOT make a difference as long as they are not faulty. They actually can't make a difference that is detected by humans and nobody has even managed to detect any difference with scientific kit.

Sure you can piss into a bottle of wine just like you can bash the back of your stereo with a hammer.
    Even if you don't care if a bottle of wine is £5 or £30 it is science fact that different types of wine (whatever the cost) are different and this can be easily proven in many ways. Different types of undamaged, shielded speaker cable do not make a difference to the sound coming out of your speakers.

3. blueplume

blueplume Well-Known Member

yes, the cables are the last top elements for a perfect sound, when you've already got top louders, ampli...

4. ATOMIC SUPLEX

No, the cables don't make a difference at all. They make NO difference.

There is zero difference in sound quality between an undamaged insulated speaker cable that costs you 50p and some insulated cable that costs any other number. It may be more durable or insulated to a higher degree but it won't change the sound coming out of your speakers one jot.

They cables these people sell aren't even balanced, so in theory you can get (also pointlessly in this case) superior 'interconnects' (leads) that still only cost a couple of quid.

Meltingpot and existentialist like this.
  5. blueplume

my ears aren't that kind of expert but i'm not sure you're right, i will have a look at some hi fi magazines

6. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055

You really are better off listening to the numerous sound engineers and musicians on here telling you its a scam.

BigTom, existentialist and paolo999 like this.
  7. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Don't.

I have a degree in music technology, and have set up several audio production suites for broadcast and worked in some top notch recording and mastering studios. Working in audio production, technical support, broadcast audio dubbing, and television production I have only once in 17 years come across the use of these cables and that was when I went to a certain Hi-Fi magazines headquarters in west London. They had a listening room and at the time I went down they were testing some sort of crazy expensive cable. I said "that can't possibly make a difference" and they quite candidly said "no, but we can't say that out right because we wouldn't have a magazine, there would be no sponsors and we would alienate or eliminate our core market" Rather than lying they would get someone freelance (maybe like you or another believer) to right the truly bullshit reviews.

8. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

So what you're saying is that along with an educated palatte for wine, you have educated ears that can perceive nuances the more coarse and plebian types can't? :)

existentialist likes this.
  9. ATOMIC SUPLEX

More so than that, nuances that can't be measured because they don't exist which are high level science wrong.

10. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

Yup. :)

11. gentlegreen

gentlegreen ¡Nadie espera a la babosa española!

I think I once managed to make signal cables have an effect.

I had this chaotic set up where the source was relatively high impedance and the screened cables were small diameter and overly-long and I think I had a bit of treble roll-off - and I strongly suspect some cables must be cynically designed that way.

My best quality signal chain now consists of a CD player that apparently can deliver 2 volts into 10 ohms, I think my volume control is 5K - it might be 47K, and that feeds a valve amp with a sensitivity of 100mV into 1M ohm. The cables are short, but I no longer struggle to squeeze large diameter coax into phono plugs.

12. Corax

Corax This will change your life: http://bit.ly/19lPFRa

You people make me sick. Leave those poor audios alone you perverts. :mad:

fractionMan likes this.
  13. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix μεθαύριο

I will use facepalms to any audio spudloonery.

To repeat wire is wire for audio. There is no frequency element thats at is high enough for radio frequency techniques to be considered over they short distances involved in connecting up an over priced hifi. This is the reason every studio I have worked on, fixed or installed is connected up via telephone cables whether single or multicore, screened or not, balanced or unbalanced. Speakers are connected by any cable capable of carrying a decent current. 13A mains is the good value.

Meltingpot and existentialist like this.
  14. blueplume

maybe!

15. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

No.

Just no.

existentialist likes this.
  16. blueplume

sound has something magical, every detail is important.and the conditions in a studio may be diferent from the environment of a purist audiophile with his own stuff... But you're probably right

17. blueplume

O-Kay!!!!!!

18. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

Well for one thing a professional studio won't have one of those 'black body' thingies.... :D

19. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix μεθαύριο

Unless some rich client making his album demands it then he'll get get it charged at double whatever spud loonery price it is.

stuff_it likes this.
  20. Boycey

Boycey juvenile rave slut

no. they'll just pretend to have one and over charge anyway.

your perception of sound is where the magic is and only there is every detail important, more details than your tiny little mind understands.

stuff_it likes this.
  21. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

:D

You've discovered the SECRET INGREDIENT, MAGICK!. They cost so much because sorcerers are expensive, don't let anyone tell you otherwise!!!

22. Boycey

Boycey juvenile rave slut

i wish i could find the AES youtube lecture on psychoacoustics and how powerful suggestion is wrt to hearing and perception.

wemakeyousoundb likes this.
  23. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

In the meantime this thread needs another shipment of the gullible. :)

stuff_it likes this.
  24. ATOMIC SUPLEX

No no no sound isn't magic, it is science, and yes I am right.
    There is a lot of expensive audio craziness that goes on in studios to get the sound just right, but it is all based on science, actually makes a difference, and is expensive for an actual reason (not just because suckers will pay for it).

25. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

Someone who could be bothered could post the link to the thread up on audiophile websites....:hmm:

wemakeyousoundb likes this.
  26. 8115

8115 doesn't smoke

So, if cables aren't it, excluding magic, what is good for getting good sound? Or is it something that only sound engineers learn, while slaying a lamb and being sworn to unending secrecy?

27. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Good equipment. Good acoustic environment. It's not rocket science, but it is science. It might not always be cheap but you are at least getting what you pay for.

28. 8115

8115 doesn't smoke

Last question I promise. Is it true that when you buy a new stereo you should play varied music through it for twenty (can't remember the exact number) hours to make it better?

29. 8115

8115 doesn't smoke

It doesn't sound true, now I write it down :D

30. ATOMIC SUPLEX

I wonder why?
    Don't forget to keep your CDs in the fridge while you are at it.

stuff_it likes this.