1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell Streak Android tablet - details and reviews

Discussion in 'mobiles and tablets' started by editor, May 25, 2010.

1. grit

grit an ugly force for good

Anyone know what method is used for communicating with the other network devices? I'm guessing some sort of server has to be installed on each machine?
  2. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

You were looking at a pre-release demo. The concept is very interesting.
  3. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Actually I just realised I was commenting on another video that I saw by clicking through a youtube suggestion at the end of that 2nd video.

Yes I know its not the final product yet, which is why I keep saying 'time will tell'. Its impossible to know how much more they will improve things by final launch, a few tweaks could work wonders. However if I were them I would have wanted to get that side of things right before showing it off too much, as first impressions count for something.

Where I remain even more skeptical is flash, I want to see how well it runs.
  4. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

From the press release:

5. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

More about Stage, sounds just fine if all your other home equipment is modern Dell stuff! Too early to be sure but provisionally I will yell 'Closed ecosystem = fail!'

Taken from http://en.community.dell.com/dell-b...-smartphone-enhanced-dell-stage-and-more.aspx

Its not a million miles away from Apples approach to some of this stuff, but Imnot sure if Dell have the muscles or content partners to pull it off.
  6. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Well, my Streak arrived today and.... it was DOA. It's going to be swapped out tomorrow. Sigh.
  7. grit

grit an ugly force for good

Shite, I've been looking forward to your hands on impressions :)
  8. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

9. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

I can tell you that it's massive but certainly pocketable so it's definitely 'mobile'. And the screen is beautiful... at least beautiful at displaying a Dell logo forever.

Looking forward to getting a working one then hacking it with a decent custom rom. All the reviews claim it's an exceptional device now it has 2.2 on.
  10. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

New one arrived and... it works!

Only played with it for a few mins, but so far I am very impressed. The 5" screen is a game changer.
  11. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

How is typing?
  12. editor

They're bringing SwiftKey to tablets soon and that is - by miles - the best onscreen keyboard I'e ever used (Swype doesn't really work on bigger screens).

Even the stock SwiftKey would be ace on the Streak - its predictive/learning text is so good that it's not unusual to construct entire sentences with just one key press per word.
  13. Crispy

I was more interested in the ergonomics
  14. editor

Trying on a screen is like, err, typing on a screen. The bigger the screen and the heavier the tablet the more awkward one hand typing becomes, which is where good predictive text apps can make the experience less painful.
  15. Crispy

OMG, this is the Streak, not the Galaxy. I thought we were talking about a tablet-sized device :oops:
    oops. as you were.
  16. fredfelt

fredfelt Mostly unknown member

I have GMote installed on my Android. There's a server on my laptop and my phone communicates to it through my router. I use it mainly as a remote control for iPlayer - the phone screen becomes the mouse for the PC. Gmote also gives access to selected folders to play media on (either your phone or the connected computer).
  17. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Actually, Streak 2.2 comes with Swype pre-installed and it works like a charm!
  18. Kid_Eternity

Why is the screen a game changer?
  19. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Well, it's a mobile, I can make calls and stick it in my pocket, but it displays websites properly and allows so much more space to do everything. It feels a very different experience to using a standard 3.5" screen. I'm more impressed than I thought I'd be, in all honesty.
  20. Crispy

Not too large then?
  21. Kid_Eternity

It's replaced your phone? Tbh I'm not sold on 5-7 inch tablets, I'd like the screen to be bigger, the iPhone is just fine for brief net stuff I find...
  22. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

No, perfectly pocketable and doesn't look all that big when held to the ear. Some obligatory piss taking off workmates, but that's to be expected.
  23. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Yeah - bored of iOS and I worked out that I spent many more hours on the web or reading books through the kindle app than I do on the phone. Makes sense to get the biggest genuinely pocketable device out there - the Streak. And thus far I'm very glad I did. It's a beaut. If it had launched with 2.2 instead of 1.6 it would be rivaling the Desire at the top of the 'best phones' charts.
  24. editor

Well, there's loads of new Android phones coming through soon with big 4"/4.3" screens to offer more choice in the big screen mobile sector.
  25. Global Stoner

Global Stoner baseline neural therapy

I've just got a Desire HD, was a little apprehensive about how I'd find the 4.3" screen size would be for day to day use, but I don't know what I was worried about now, I'd go up to 5" quite happily. It feels like a lot more space then the 3.8" I was using before.
  26. Kid_Eternity

Ah makes sense...I have a Kindle so reading on the iPhone isn't an issue...although I find 90% of my net time these days is Twitter followed by Facebook and the apps serve them up pretty decently...
  27. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

I doubt there is much stock left but Tesco are selling this in-store for £199 at the moment.
    Dell.co.uk is selling for £398.99.