1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Darts! Darts! Darts!

Discussion in 'general sports' started by Rosco, Dec 24, 2004.

1. smmudge

smmudge from beneath you, it devours

Watching replay, having never watched darts before. Blimey, this is interesting!! :D:D
  2. TrippyLondoner

TrippyLondoner Well-Known Member

:cool:
  3. King Biscuit Time

King Biscuit Time The highest British attention to the wrong detail.

Did anyone see the interview with Chissy after the game (on red button)?

Talk about monosyllabic! Anyway - I want him to win now.
  4. Rosco

Rosco what was that?

Can't say I did, was it not very intellectual, or just shy or moody or both or all three!?
  5. Rosco

Rosco what was that?

Sadly I have to agree with you this year. Lakeside darts was what got me into darts when I was 8 or 9 years old, I'm 40 now. I've always bigged it up and I'll always have a fondness for it, mainly because it brings the newcomers through, tomorrows PDC superstars. Its also nothing to do with the quality of darts because 99% of the time its just as good as other tourneys but they've got to move with the times ffs.

The BBC are just as guilty as Ollie Croft, he may be known as the godfather of darts but get with it! C'mon, this isn't 1985 anymore!

Linky from 2008 gives some insight.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/jan/10/bdoworldchampionship.darts
  6. TrippyLondoner

Agreed 100%.Its also what got me into it, i seem to remember barneveld winning this, and i had been into it a long time before then.

Also, wtf@ waites losing 4-0.:eek:
  7. Rosco

Rosco what was that?

Yep, its not that I want the BDO at Lakeside to vanish into darts history, not at all. It needs to keep up with it, the beeb seems to have been testing the water for too many years. Its not as if they havn't got enough money to give nearly as much hype that the PDC give year in year out. The beeb always comes across as a little embarrassed to have to even show it sometimes what with their snobby remarks. And to spend more licence payers money hyping it up, how distasteful!

Rename and put some serious cash into it now beeb controllers.

And yes, quite surprised about Waites, Phillips seems to be playing the baord so to speak and not giving a fuk about anything else. Thats darts!
  8. TrippyLondoner

Waites makes it 4-2!
  9. TrippyLondoner

Don't like the guy on the mic that reads each score out, irritating.
  10. Rosco

Rosco what was that?

He's got to be the most boring caller ever.
  11. TrippyLondoner

4-3!!!!! Nearly lost it to! Match of the tournament this.
  12. Rosco

Rosco what was that?

Phillips has the skill, Waites has the stamina, tiebreaker maybe.
  13. TrippyLondoner

Phillips wins 5-4, sad to see waites get thumped 3-0 in that last set.
  14. Rosco

Rosco what was that?

I guess the skill and stamina swapped over at the end.

Amen to Colin Murray by the way, a breath of fresh air, the new Sid Waddell!
  15. Lisarocket

Lisarocket In bed with me dinner

I know it's a long shot ;) :D but is anyone watching the women's final at the mo?
  16. TrippyLondoner

nah.
  17. Lisarocket

Thought so :D

Trina has just done a 180 though..

Reckon she's going to steamroller Edwards.

It's not a long enough game for them to to get going though. I complain about that every year :D
  18. Lisarocket

Well done to Trina yet again :)

She should be playing with the boys like Anastasia is :cool:
  19. rapattaque

rapattaque At fighting weight

Did the commentator just say Martin Phillips wife was dancing the bingo wings jig?
  20. Rosco

Rosco what was that?

Not sure, those commentators do make me laugh, half the time they arn't even talking about the darts! :D
  21. YouSir

YouSir Look out Laika, it's Earth.

Bingo winners jig I suspect, but given the nature of the commentary either is possible.

Anyway, couple of hours and Chisnall's up, here's hoping he takes it. First time I've ever really watched darts and it's dragging me in.
  22. Rosco

Rosco what was that?

Well thats all folks....at least for a few months or so. Well done to Martin Adams, class player class bloke. The best man did indeed win this years BDO World Championship. Now that was a quality final that the PDC can weep over!

Didn't Chisel do well though, reminded me of Klassen a bit. What does the future hold for him now? PDC is calling no doubt!

Seeya all soon :)
  23. Paulie Tandoori

Paulie Tandoori shut it you egg!

damn, missed it. ah well.
  24. TrippyLondoner

Can't wait for the darts prem league.:cool:
  25. Rosco

Rosco what was that?

Yea forgot about that, not sure why but I've never got into the premier league. Don't think my mrs could take more than a month of darts at Xmas!
  26. TrippyLondoner

For once Taylor doesn't win something! Paul Nicholson wins the players championship final 13-11 v King. :cool:
  27. Lisarocket

I missed the final, but saw Nicholson beat Taylor. I was on the edge of my seat and shouting at the telly. Brilliant match! :D

The Geordie boy done good :cool:
  28. TrippyLondoner

I missed his match v Taylor annoyingly, what was the score?
  29. Lisarocket

I had the sound down until i noticed Nicholson was beating Taylor, so i missed his 170 finish, which i think was a match turning point! Started watching it a 8-6 in Nicholson's favour. Then Taylor pulled it back.

They went 9-9 and it was Taylors throw, so it was looking like the lad was beaten. Taylor is never good when he's trailing, so the nerves got to him and he fell apart a bit during the leg. Nicholson had three darts at double top after he'd forced Taylor to attempt a high checkout. Think he only needed two, but i was quite 'merry' let's say, so i might be remembering it a bit wrong :D

Brilliant match! In this neck of the woods we'd say it was Mint! I love watching Taylor's face when he's getting beaten :cool:
  30. Rosco

Rosco what was that?

I've always thought Nicholson has the quality and the subborn consistentness to beat anyone. He has some good skills and to beat Taylor, who also had a higher average was quite outstanding. It goes to show, Taylor wasn't even having a bad day, until he lost that is.

On a different subject, Barry Hearn offers to (make more money) help and update the very stubborn BDO once more, but gets sent on his way!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/darts/8490421.stm

He did actually say in an interview after the Totes final, that there should be only one World Championship and thats the PDC, however the BDO should still be a big part of darts just not a World Championship. I must say I agree with him.