1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyclist killed near Olympics

Discussion in 'transport' started by Ponyutd, Aug 1, 2012.

1. fredfelt

fredfelt Mostly unknown member

All too regularly it's the other way around. On an approach to a junction a large vehicle starts to overtake, the lights change and you find an HGV at your side, or you are forced to brake to avoid the rear end of the HGV hitting you as the driver pulls back into it's lane too quickly.

ericjarvis and Greebo like this.
  2. TopCat

TopCat Sitting on your head & farting when you have a nap

Training would be far more useful than compulsory helmets. I see shocking incompetence by cyclists almost every day.

Pickman's model and pissflaps like this.
  3. pissflaps

pissflaps i've got a headache in my pants...

just imagine there is a 2 metre wide pool of magma filled with AIDS infected piranhas around anything with more than 4 wheels - you should be fine(ish)

gentlegreen likes this.
  4. weepiper

weepiper eb slootly non verbal

'ride at all times as if everyone else on the road is a moron intent on killing you' is a good rule. And by that I mean, take your personal road space, don't wait to be given it - sit a foot or two out from the kerb so that you have somewhere to go if some idiot gets too close. Don't get close to large vehicles. If a large vehicle pulls up next to you while stationary and you're in any doubt whatsoever that he's seen you jump off the bike and walk to a safer position. Ride like a car drives, don't sit over at the left waiting for a gap to make a right turn. Etc.

Greebo, nipsla and Crispy like this.
  5. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

Absolutely. I still wear a helmet, because it's a little extra protection for no real cost, but I think the best helmet is the one you never have to use.

Miss-Shelf and Greebo like this.
  6. Cid

Cid Degenerate Scum

Ah yes, the other problem with ASLs, neatly located in an HGV blind spot.

7. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Nadie espera a la babosa española

Having now had an accident where a helmet didn't prevent concussion but may have averted more serious facial injury, I have given helmet wearing some thought.

I almost always set off on my commute wearing a helmet - certainly in the morning - because none of us are at our best then and people are in a hurry, but this time of year it will come off when I hit parkland - certainly if I start sweating.

But I rarely wear it on recreational rides.

It's an easier choice in the winter when you're glad of a little warmth.

If there's any question of compulsion, I will wear it a lot less - and I already like to let other people see how old I am - the age of their dad, rather than a faceless cyclist.

8. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

The one time my helmet saved me from a head injury, I was the only person on the road at the time.

9. fredfelt

Despite this, I think ASL's are useful.

Without the ASL if you are at the front of the queue invariably the vehicle behind you will pull up on your side. The lights turn green, the car turns left and squashes you. At least with an ASL you get off first and avoid this problem.

They also have the benefit of not having an exhaust pumping fumes directly in your lungs - without a vehicle in front the air is slightly cleaner.

Additionally with the benefit of an ASL you get a clear run for a while, and avoid being right in the traffic. Being able to filter through stationary traffic on a bike is a big benefit of using a bike to get around a city - advance stop lanes help you to do this more safely.

Ideally you'd have a wide cycle lane prioritising cyclists, with a filter light letting cyclists off first. But countries with this type of infrastructure have had a budget of around 20 times per head to devote to cycle infrastructure that the UK; for the last 20 - 50 years. I think in London, even after the much publicised increase in spending you get about £2 spent on cyclists per head, while in Holland it's constantly been around £20 devoted to cyclists per year.

Greebo likes this.
  10. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Nadie espera a la babosa española

Me too - effectively - luckily the Audi that was following me stopped in good time and the driver gave me a lift to work with the remains of the bike in the back.

11. pissflaps

pissflaps i've got a headache in my pants...

im not having a go at ASL's - even tho they are really only as useful as the authorities willingness to enforce them - i am however taking issue with the way they are accessed. interestingly there is an anomolously layed out ASL access on the magic blue paint highway at the intersection of clapham/stockwell road heading towards brixton where the feeder lane is in the middle of two lanes - a much safer and visible way of accessing an ASL.

12. doddles

doddles Appreciates the good eggs

There's the same thing on Goods Lane at the intersection just before going under St Pancras station. I wonder if there will be a move towards that system where the road width allows for it.

13. GarfieldLeChat

GarfieldLeChat fucking awesome but wrong

do you genuinely not know?

or are you being particularly specious?

seriously.

because if you don't know how you would know if you can be seen or not within a mirror of another road user then you shouldn't be on the road. at all even as a pedestrain as you're a danger to yourself and others...

Please don't use any vehicle until you've learned this, in all seriousness you shouldn't be on the road if you're not aware of this...

14. GarfieldLeChat

also I think we have to accept the idea of ASL whilst admirable is in fact for most roads not the solution to provide the best chance of survival for cyclists and what they more often than not do is place slow moving traffic directly into the path of faster moving traffic in a far to often narrowing road space situation.

I'd like to see separate lanes at junctions which then blended back into general road use past the junctions. These should have their own sychronised lights systems which along with pedestrain crossings would mean foot 2 wheel, 2 wheel powered, 4 wheel + in essence.

Phase each set of lights to allow traffic through at a reasonable pace, alter the laws to allow left on red etc and this would solve a lot of the issues.

15. smmudge

smmudge We teach life, sir.

This is what gets me about it all - not that cyclists will go into vehicles' blind spots, but that massive vehicles have so many blind spots in the first place.

Greebo likes this.
  16. GarfieldLeChat

well yes there's certainly an argument that modern large vehicles now the tech is available have to be manditorialy fitted with 360% cameras (with my personal prefference red marked areas for proximity so if something small is in range (like a kid on a bike) but not clearly visable because you're a trucker or bus driver and have never been ras'ed to actually clean the damn cameras, then it'll still glow red when you can't see them behind the road filth encrusted lens...

17. The Boy

The Boy YNKWFIGTTU

Especially since it would be fairly easy to eliminate.

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  18. Termite Man

Termite Man zombie flesh eater

then you have positioned yourself badly.

gentlegreen and mauvais like this.
  19. fredfelt

Sure. Too many people don't have confidence to take 'the primary position' and position themselves badly at junctions. This is another reason why advanced stop lanes are useful.

20. Agent Sparrow

Agent Sparrow mellow kitty

Thing is, as someone else has said also, sometimes other vehicles put you in their blind spot. That the driver in this incident has been arrested for dangerous driving kinda makes it sound like that's at least a possibility.

I've had a HGV overtake me half way and then start indicating left when I was going straight on. Thankfully he knew I was there and waited for me to pass, but boy that raised my heart rate a little!

21. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

The eye witness said the cyclist went up the inside of the bus though. I think it's standard practice for a an arrest to be made.

I'm not saying the bus driver didn't do anything wrong, just that we shouldn't read too much into the fact that he has been arrested.

22. Orang Utan

Orang Utan like an outdated combine harvester

After this happened, i suppose my awareness of cyclists going up the inside of long/large vehicles was rather heightened and in one day I witnessed four cyclists doing this. It's a horrible feeling to witness it, so I can't imagine how horrible it must be to witness someone coming a cropper because of it. I wanted to chase after them and tell them how risky their behaviour is, but i take risks on my bike daily too. It probably wouldn't do any good either, as I can imagine my reaction to some breathless helmetless lunatic lecturing me about road safety.
    There needs to be a massive campaign geared towards cyclists about riding on the inside of vehicles at junctions, but I don't know how effective it would be. It's already obvious to me and many others that is a very dangerous thing to do, so I have no idea how to make it apparent to others too.

Greebo and Maltin like this.
  23. tommers

tommers I did it!

There has been a push on this. Lots of lorries have signs telling you not to do it. Lots of training for drivers, new mirrors etc. There have been pieces on the news about it.

You're right though, lots of people still don't know about it - so more needs to be done.

24. Orang Utan

Orang Utan like an outdated combine harvester

I've noticed a slight change in attitude from lorry drivers. If I'm in front of a large vehicle at lights, I always turn round and look the driver in the eyes to get some acknowledgment that he knows I'm there, and the reaction is a bit more respectful/friendly, like you are not merely an annoyance, just another road user.

Greebo likes this.
  25. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever dog poo and knives

ach it gets worse - the driver is one of my Bros boys from the depot - hes utterly wiped out by all accounts and my bro is bringing in the counselling and support stuff now.

26. Termite Man

Termite Man zombie flesh eater

Of course, there is pretty much nothing you can do to prevent other road users putting you in danger but where you can act to make yourself safer then you should, it's little consolation to know you were in the right if your seriously injured but I'd feel much worse if there was something I could have done to prevent an accident but didn't do it.

eta

as distasteful as it is to lay some blame on the cyclist their actions can't be ignored if they were unsafe and IMO riding up the inside of a large vehicle IS unsafe.

27. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

He made a split second error of judgement, by all accounts - I dare say we've all done it in some way or another, it's just that sadly he paid the ultimate price.

28. underurnose

underurnose - .-. -.-- .... .- .-. -.. . .-. Banned

helmets are the law here.
    i still see hard cunts with the helmet on their handle bars. idiots.
    wearing a helmet saved my life when an earthquake spat me off.
    the helmet was split up the back from smashing into the ground so hard.
    a bit stunned but i was able to get up and carry on. new helmet next day.

29. fredfelt

Wow, you were lucky there. Do you wear your helmet when walking just in case of earth quake?

Boycey and gentlegreen like this.
  30. fredfelt

I just read this in the paper. If it's so easy to put in special lanes for Olympic officials then why not keep them for ordinary Londoners?

Unthinkable? ZiL lanes for bikes

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentis...eguardian/commentisfree/rss (Comment is free)

Miss-Shelf likes this.