1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyclist killed near Olympics

Discussion in 'transport' started by Ponyutd, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Ponyutd

Ponyutd Greebo likes this....

Looks like a cyclist has been hit by an Olympic bus and killed. Details still coming in.

2. Maltin

Maltin Well-Known Member

3. doddles

doddles Appreciates the good eggs

Aw shit.

4. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

5. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

6. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Well-Known Member

7. marty21

marty21 insidious agendas everywhere

:( heard that - very sad news

8. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

9. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

Next critical mass to be held on the 27th. Not sure of the route.

10. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse wax weasel

:(

The Olympic lane in front of my office is an accident waiting to happen. Non olympic vehicles swerving at the last minute to avoid the start of it, the olympic cars driven by volunteers who don't know the streets, the busses driven by PSV holders, but who are out of their area.

:(

11. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

Subtle.

12. Favelado

Favelado Que isso gente?

The new(ish) Elephant and Castle layout is the scariest thing I've seen in the whole of London for pedestrians. It's not great for cyclists too. People leg it across the road to get to the Tube station in significant numbers. Has anyone died yet? I can't see how there can't have been an accident.

13. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

14. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

I like it. Got sick of the bad signage in the tunnels leading you to the wrong place. They've done what they did in Brixton, better for pedestrians, but means motorists have to take a lot more care

Bad news about the cyclist though :(

15. Favelado

Favelado Que isso gente?

I like the way it looks and the tunnels are a nightmare too. However, if you are there at a bout 8 in the morning you can see little groups of pedestrians lining up to take their chance to run across the road. They don't have a clear view of what's coming at them off the roundabout (at some speed). It's really dodgy.

Anyway, sorry for tangent. This isn't really about Elephant is it?

16. pissflaps

pissflaps i've got a headache in my pants...

i see BW has weighed in with some woefully misjudged comments regarding compulsory helmet wearing. because everyone knows a bit of polystyrene and plastic makes double decker busses bounce right off you!

tragic day. thoughts out to riders F&F.

toggle and flypanam like this.
  17. Winot

Winot Win not Whine

Report here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19090898

Made me fume. Man with no knowledge of crash and no background in social policy suddenly becomes expert in cycle safety.

Greebo likes this.
  18. pissflaps

in his defense, he was put on the spot and at no point has he ever professed to being an expert on cycle safety. it's just annoying that he took a golden opportunity and pissed it away on some half-arsed, poorly reasoned victim blaming.

/not much mention of the fact that the victim was killed not far from a segregated cycle route that had been closed by LOCOG as a 'safety concern'. you couldn't make it up.

19. gabi

gabi Well-Known Member

I totally agree with everything Wiggins said there.

In NZ it's an immediate $50 fine if you're caught without a helmet. Here, the Mayor of London bumbles around some of the busiest streets in Europe without one. Mental.

20. The Boy

The Boy YNKWFIGTTU

Helmets don't do much if you're travelling at speed. 16mph is the threshold iirc.

Greebo likes this.
  21. pissflaps

the fact is, there is little to no evidence that wearing a helmet makes cycling any safer - oddly enough there have been studies that indicate that drivers give helmet-wearers even less passing-space on the roads as there is a perception that the cyclist is 'safe'. it is also worth noting that most cycling fatalities, especially in london, can be attributed to poor driving, lack of awareness (cyclist and driver) and shitty infrastructure. if you want to improve cycle safety, training is where we should all start, for motorists and cyclists. compulsion just reinforces the notion that cycling is a dangerous pursuit and ultimately puts people off cycling. i am not anti-helmet, i am anti helmet-law.

22. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Poster of the Year 2004

i would have thought that the 100+ deaths last year and the thousands more injured might have reinforced the notion that cycling is a dangerous pursuit rather more than any discussion or legislation around the wearing of helmets.

23. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Well-Known Member

Greebo likes this.
  24. pissflaps

and don't mention that fat fuck johnson in the same breath as cyclists - he has blood on his hands over this and many other cycling fatalities in london with his reluctance to get tfl to do anything about improving a number of KSI related hotspots. he also spouts made-up and criminally negligent shit like this:

"the increase in cycling has not necessarily been accompanied by an increase [in an] observance of the rules of the road". He added: "It is very important, I think people should be aware of the high proportion. I have seen a figure of I think 62 per cent... of cyclist KSIs [people killed and seriously injured] are associated with some infraction by the cyclist themselves of the rules of the road. That is very sad."

25. pissflaps

what of the 100s of pedestrians killed or injured by motorised vehicles? would you say walking down the street is dangerous too? maybe we should make them wear helmets as well.

a_chap and Greebo like this.
  26. Pickman's model

i have had cyclists use the number of cyclists injured and killed on the road as a justification for cycling on the pavement on a number of occasions.

but johnson - that fat fuck, as you call him - does undermine the idea that cycling's top exercise. his capacious girth hasn't diminished in the years he's been cycling - quite the contrary.

27. Pickman's model

i doubt that 100 people are killed and many thousands injured by motor vehicles mounting the pavements. unless you have any evidence to substantiate the view that walking down the street (as opposed to eg crossing the road) is dangerous, i'd like to see it. frankly, the last few times i've come close to danger on the pavement's been from cyclists.

but, yes, in certain situations i would issue helmets to pedestrians. and cudgels.

28. pissflaps

aah yes. the old anecdotal 'ruddy cyclists on pavements' chestnut. i've been getting around town above ground for nearly 12 years now and i have to say i've seen all of a handful of people riding on the pavement in a manner that could seriously be considered dangerous. and of those that i have witnessed, the bikes look freshly nicked. you do realise it is legal to ride on the pavement if you are under the age of 16?

29. Pickman's model

1) er... it isn't riding DANGEROUSLY on the pavement which is illegal, but simply riding on the pavement.

2) i'm not talking about children you daft fuck

3) every fucking day i see cyclists riding dangerously: this morning i was nearly knocked down by not one, not two, but three cyclists jumping onto the pavement to cut a corner.

30. pissflaps

^it is clear you have nothing to contribute to the debate and have resorted to calling people on the internet nasty names. ignored.

a_chap likes this.