1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Croydon: Is it really that bad?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by ChrisFilter, Sep 20, 2007.

1. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Is it so bad that nice 3 bedroom period properties, with massive rooms and a large garden, next to a park, and less than half a mile from East Croydon station for £209k doesn't represent great value?

2. LDR

LDR kiwitanga

I lived in Purley for a while and used to pop down to Croydon quite a bit on a night out.

I never saw any hassle and got to see a few decent bands.

I think it gets a bit of a bad press.

3. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

yes, it is. I worked there for 2 1/2 years and so I should know

4. bluestreak

bluestreak HomosexualityIsStalin’sAtomBombtoDestroyAmerica

yes.

my new housemate was born and bred in croydon and considers brixton and streatham a blessed relief.

5. marksims68

marksims68 Have guitar will travel

I was in Lower Addiscombe Road Croydon for six years and loved it, Croydon gets a lot of bad press but its not so bad.

The tramlink is fantastic BTW.

6. wtfftw

wtfftw toasted cheese debauchery

Shirley is rather shit. driving to the local pub? Pardon?!

Depends what you want innit. Obviously. I'd go investigate the local pubs and stuff and see if you feel like ripping your hair out.

7. spanglechick

spanglechick Lying in the gutter, looking like a star.

depends what you consider "that bad".

I'd live in sidcup long, long before i'd live in croydon again.

<shudder>

8. Callie

Callie Pivoting

wtf?! where in Shirley is someone living to have to drive to the pub? I bet even Ronnie Corbett is within walking distance to one (he lives in Shirley)

Croydons alright - depends what you want/like

Bits of it are rough as fuck, bits are nice. Some of the people are wankers, some people are great. Some bits look really grey and depressing, others don't. Same as anywhere.

Croydon town centre is pretty much like any suburban town centre - all your normal bars. It can be dodgy at weekends in the bit where all the bars like tiger tiger are, especially at kicking out time.

Chris - Id say investigate further, from your other threads you don't seem too bothered about living in suburbia and all that that entails, if that is correct Croydon will be OK.

9. spanglechick

I grew up in suburbia (the vile bexleyheath), but croydon is far, far worse for me. It's very much a matter of personal taste, but i wouldn't say sidcup = bromley = orpington = croydon = sutton, because it isn't so.

10. Meltingpot

Meltingpot On hiatus

It's a while since I was in the area and used to visit, but there used to be a good veggie rastaurant there (Hockneys), a good secondhand record / tape shop (Beanos) and a classic motorbike place near Sanderstead railway station. Plus a reasonable street market. So; not the most characterful place in the world, but liveable IMO (if you can afford a flat / room there).

11. wtfftw

wtfftw toasted cheese debauchery

He's probably just lazy. It was downhill on the way home. :D

12. smmudge

smmudge We teach life, sir.

I think west croydon is worse than east croydon. There are some nice places to go out at night but during the day there is a sort of atmosphere that isn't pleasant.

Good transport links out of it though, so that's a plus :D

13. Bodmass

Bodmass Banned Banned

Sorry, (and I realise I've already posted something similar on the West Kensington thread :oops: ) but I think many people (both Londoners and those from elsewhere) tend to forget just how big each part of the city is

The population of Croydon is around 330,000.

So this is as logical is writing off the whole of Nottingham or the whole of Bradford in one fell swoop.

14. spanglechick

ok, but i lived in selhurst, and worked at four locations around the borough.

I found it unremittingly horrible (especially the coulsdon / purley area).

15. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

Croydon is a huge borough, and, like all boroughs, it has good bits and bad bits.

If you can get a 3 bedroomed property with a garden for that price, there has got to be something wrong with the property! Prices really are not that cheap. My daughter and her boyfriend tried to find somewhere within walking distance of East Croydon station and gave up because it was all too expensive.

The bit of Croydon I live in is fine, by the way :)

16. bluestreak

bluestreak HomosexualityIsStalin’sAtomBombtoDestroyAmerica

and that's wrong because.... ?

17. Guineveretoo

So, you dislike it in its entirety.

Others have different experiences. Including me.

There are parts of Croydon which I really like. I like the fact that it has so many parks, for a start, and that there are lakes and gravel pits and trees all over the place. I like the fact that the neighbours are really friendly and supportive, and would watch out for and care about me and mine, even if we didn't ask. I feel much safer here in Croydon than I did in my house in Cambridge.

I even like the fact that I am a cab ride from East Croydon station, which has trains running all night from central London. I like the fact that there are trains to London Bridge from Norwood Junction which take 12 minutes. I also like the fact that the tube is coming to the area, so I will be able to sell my house at a huge profit if I ever need to :D

I particularly like the fact that I am a short bus ride from Crystal Palace park and its dinosaurs, walks, hillls, and lakes.

18. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

spot on.
    CENTRAL croydon is an utter nightmare, a new spiritual homeland for bleach-blonde types from dagenham called darren

19. Callie

Callie Pivoting

Have you got a link?? *nosey*

20. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

I just find it’s dominated by so many wrong things, that huge concrete lump of a shopping mall in the middle, the dual carriageway alongside cutting right through the town like a huge scar across the face, the frigging flyover, another dual carriageway running north from that, as well as just about every late 60s-mid 70s high rise architectural cliché – what a disaster of a skyline.

You can see from the Victorian housing stock there used to be a nice, probably typical English town here once, but the Luftwaffe put paid to all that.

Got no soul now, I’m afraid.

21. Guineveretoo

That is central Croydon. The overwhelming majority of people who live in Croydon do NOT live in that bit! Actually, I suspect that the majority of people who live in Croydon don't even visit that bit, other than to catch a train! :)

22. London_Calling

Sure, no doubt, there are really decent residential areas going south towards Purley and Sanderstead, I suppose I'm talking about the heart of the community, the centre - after all it is a town.

23. Guineveretoo

Central Croydon is not the heart of the Community! :eek: It's a shopping centre, a few bars, and a railway station.

Different wards of Croydon have their own "community heart". People in Purley certainly wouldn't think of Central Croydon as part of their community, but then, neither do I. I live in South Norwood, and I don't, either!

24. London_Calling

I'm actually a little fond of South Norwood, The Clocktower, Portland Road . . . the dreamy spires of Croydon in the distance . . . like the streets between Portland Road and the tram especially.

25. zenie

zenie >^^<

Is it? :confused:

I was under the impression Croydon was a London Borough?

Filter I reckon you'd be ok depending on which bit of Croydon you want to live in.

Why not look at Beckenham or Sidcup though - nicer areas IMO

26. London_Calling

It's a town and a Borough. Like Bromley - which goes from Crystal Palace to Biggin Hill to Oprington.

27. Gavin Bl

Gavin Bl terrible awful baaad

As I think someone else has said, its got that feeling where people seem angry all the time, Sutton's the same.

But if you can find a reasonable residential part, then there's plenty of shops and good transport links, nice cheap fruit and veg market in (is it?) Surrey Street.

It can be a bit lairy of an evening.

28. xenon

xenon Our fortress is on fire!

What do peple think of the Thornton Heath area? Haven't lived there full time for years. Only few days back visiting. Seems to have got rougher.

29. Guineveretoo

When I was looking at houses in the area, I decided that I didn't like Thornton Heath, but I have started getting to know it a bit since then, and I don't think it is rough at all, really. In what do you think it's getting rougher?

30. Guineveretoo

And Croydon goes from Crystal Palace to Purley.