1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Costa coffee opening at the old Homelook 460 Brixton Road, SW9

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Mar 15, 2011.

1. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

2. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

At £9K, no wonder it's been empty for so long !

3. editor

NetworkRail say they're going to refurbish the interior which probably a good idea seeing as it was a crumbling shithole before.

4. TruXta

TruXta Tired of this

There's a bit more on the old Sanders firm here: http://landmark.lambeth.gov.uk/display_page.asp?section=landmark&id=8060

Apparently they were (fairly?) early adopters of penumatic tubes for handling internal mail and cash, possibly. (http://www.ids.u-net.com/cash/locations/eng-london.htm)

E2a an interview with Sidney Sanders, one of the old proprietors, here: http://bettikvah.org.uk/Hindsight-sidney sanders.html and a bit more about the company here http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/onlinelists/GB 0088 IV260(vA2627933).pdf

5. editor

Cheers for those updates - I've added the photo to the article (Lambeth landmark was down last night) and linked back to this thread.

It's quite depressing to see how the building has deteriorated in recent years.

6. TruXta

TruXta Tired of this

Yeah, the facade is ace, never went in there when it was last open - is the interior anything in particular?

7. editor

It was really, really run down, with a few steps up to a slightly higher level at the back. It was a bit of a dump.

8. Laughing Toad

Laughing Toad Turn the volume down please.

How long has it been empty? 5 years? At 9k a month that's half a million over 5 years. Network Rail has let half a million pounds slip through its flabby fingers.

And that's not taking into account the economic and social cost of having an ugly empty building in the middle of town.

9. Onket

Onket Gertcha

Looks decidedly closed in the photo from '84, despite the site saying it's open!

10. editor

11. editor

12. ajdown

ajdown Posting in this thread

Pretty much opposite Starbucks? Good grief...

13. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

I was going to suggest it would make an ideal location for another coffee shop, then I read this:

:D

Internet's going slow today. Posted before Editor said it's going to be Costa!

14. Minnie_the_Minx

Sounds good. Having coffee whilst trains go rumbling overhead

15. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

Oh dear, how pointless and irritating :(

Unrelated but a big one has just opened in SW18 too.

16. wtfftw

wtfftw toasted cheese debauchery

I see what you did there. :D
    Costa Coffee have just opened in N7 (taking over the gaff :() Are they on some expansion spree?

17. Minnie_the_Minx

Wasn't even intentional :D

18. Minnie_the_Minx

I reckon Editor will be a regular in there, sitting listening for steam trains

19. bi0boy

bi0boy .

Well, it has to be an improvement on what's there now.

20. bi0boy

bi0boy .

I wonder if it has tube trains going underneath as well, would be cool if you could hear trains above and below.

21. Minnie_the_Minx

Webster's may get more business as well :D

22. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

If it means they clean up that lovely tiled facade, I don't mind.

23. miss minnie

miss minnie Well-Known Member

That would be nice.

But jeez, more coffee! :D :facepalm:

24. Onket

Onket Gertcha

I'd like to see the inside of the place.

25. Minnie_the_Minx

Did you never go in when it was Homelook?

26. Onket

Onket Gertcha

I can't remember the building ever being open.

27. Minnie_the_Minx

Was handy for things like christmas decorations, tupperware and the like before Brixton got the 99p and £1 shops

I remember those naff waterfall pictures as well that made it look like the water was really falling. Think that was the first place I ever saw them :D

28. editor

I went there quite a lot for cheapo-just-about-good-enough-for-the-job goods although they they sold some astonishingly tacky stuff as well. They were indeed big on those waterfall things.

But anything that tidies up that crumbling façade has got to be good even if it is yet another coffee shop.

29. zenie

zenie >^^<

At least Costa tastes nice and is a decent strength, unlike Starbucks :)

30. Minnie_the_Minx

Yeah, a lot of the stuff they had could be got at Woolworths (except for those tacky waterfall things!).

Struggling to remember what I ever bought in there besides maybe some Christmas decorations and tupperware. Probably looked in there for throws at one stage. Possibly bought some batteries or lighters, but otherwise, I'm struggling

Yeah, I think the important thing is prettifying that particular area under the bridge up as it is very tatty looking. Fine for side streets etc. but as it is now, it's just an eyesore

Buckets and bins. I seem to remember they always had loads of buckets and bins by the front door. Naff animal print throws also springs to mind but I may just be imagining that. Cheap, crap pillows and cushions that would probably go flat after a week as well, although I didn't buy any so can't be sure of that. I seem to remember it being on slightly different levels (ie. a slope up to the back bit) but I may be wrong about that as well