1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

commentators are twats - a compendium of the stupidest comments this world cup

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010 South Africa' started by strung out, Jun 14, 2010.

1. strung out

strung out (",)

Peter Drury: "that brings Klose to within 4 goals of Gerd Muller's world cup record, who would have been his hero growing up"

erm, would that be Miroslav Klose, the polish national, who lived in poland until the age of seven, speaks polish at home, and who looked up to Zbigniew Boniek, poland's best player while he was growing up?

2. Silva

Silva Gazing at my shoes

not to mention Klose was about 3 or 4 when Muller retired.

3. stupid dogbot

stupid dogbot Haughty and Superior

At the German's last (I think) corner, last night....

"Philip Lahm swings the ball in"

Errr... Schweinsteiger. The guys who's been wearing the #7 shirt ALL night, has taken every set piece... :facepalm:

4. ska invita

ska invita yes yes

mick mcarthy - classic in tongihts italy match.
    "theres just no urgency here. they should play the free kick short" - cue paraguay taking their time and scoring from the free kick.
    followed by a replay of the goal in which he says "its a poor ball this" and giving no credit to Alcaraz for a great climb and a hard header, instead moaning about everything and everyone.

hard to beat that. well done mick

5. Termite Man

Termite Man zombie flesh eater

to be fair in that reply he thought he was talking about a later free kick not the one where the goal was scored , which he did actually say when he realised it was the goal scoring free kick.

6. albionism

albionism Factotum

On Australian tv during the Holland vs Denmark match:

"Of course the Dutch will feel very much at home here because
    of the Boer settlers all those years ago".

7. tom_craggs

tom_craggs Well-Known Member

:eek:

8. Le Shark

Le Shark Baa baa black sheep

LOL

You gotta love the Australians

9. Infidel Castro

Infidel Castro They only ate sausage...sausage on a stick

The worst part of the world cup so far is having to look at ex-commentator Motson's face all the bloody time. I always preferred him when I couldn't see him. So, there's a sort of commentator fuck up of sorts.

10. Paulie Tandoori

Paulie Tandoori shut it you egg!

i think david pleat said something last night about "that's the velocity that goalkeepers need at this level" when the paraguay keeper made a save after his earlier gaff, in reference to maintaining concentration?! the velocity????? :confused:

11. nicksonic

nicksonic que acido para la rumba

mccarthy yesterday - "this is what i call 'parasite football'"...

you what?

drury is consistently awful, he thinks he's some sort of poet and comes out with all sort of UTTER SHIT that he's dreamt up before the game and attempts to shoehorn in at any opportunity :mad:

12. Paulie Tandoori

found out last night that for bbc games, you can press the red button and opt to listen to radio five commentary which is much better imo.

even tho i criticised pleat above, he did give some good tactical analysis of what was taking place, and david oates and conor macnamara commentating were much more enjoyable to listen to to jonathon whats-his-gob and moaning mick mcarthy.

13. nicksonic

i'd take anyone on 5live for any tv commentator any time, all the time.

14. fen_boy

fen_boy Exits gracefully.

Alan Green though :(

15. nicksonic

he does get annoying, although the fact he's describing action for listeners means a better overall experience.

16. Paulie Tandoori

oh god yes, i'd forgotten about him :facepalm:

17. nicksonic

or in the case of slovakia v new zealand you can listen to chris moyles and 'comedy' dave :facepalm:

18. Flavour

Flavour hang the bankers

i swear you could do that in 2002 :D

19. StanSmith

StanSmith Three Lions on my shirt

Martin Keown was just said the reason the crowds are poor for the earlier games is because the locals dont get up early enough!!!! Then he whined on about how long his days are.

Shame.

20. BlackArab

BlackArab Aging B-Boy

As the Argentina v Nigeria game kicked off the commentator offered this helpful tip:

'Argentina are the ones wearing blue & white'

:D

21. albionism

albionism Factotum

22. taffboy gwyrdd

taffboy gwyrdd Embrace the confusion!

Alan Green knows his stuff and does commentate well in many ways. On the other hand he is a miserable git who has the shadow of racism hanging over him.

(from Wiki)

Green was censured by Ofcom in October 2004 after he made a comment deemed in breach of the regulator's Code on Standards live on-air about Manchester United's Cameroonian midfielder Eric Djemba-Djemba, implying he may be speaking pidgin English with the referee

He had previously described Manchester City's Chinese defender Sun Jihai as wearing shirt "Number 17 -- that'll be the Chicken Chow Mein, then" during a live radio broadcast.

23. co-op

co-op Free the rhubarb crumble!

Alan "Partridge" Green is a moron.

IMHO.

24. frogwoman

frogwoman I welcome your experience

Some ridiculous ones just now.

25. Paulie Tandoori

yes, chris waddle started 2nd half by saying that if switzerland could keep barcelona at bay for a while......:facepalm:

26. frogwoman

frogwoman I welcome your experience

to be fair, its pretty much the perfect job, and one that I bet i could do quite well. All you have to do is do some research about the players and games etc, look at the game and remark on what is happening, and it doesn't really matter if you talk bollocks because everyone expects that anyway.

27. Paulie Tandoori

i know someone who works for five live, he did the spain match today, the italy match on monday(?), and his opening match was south korea v greece which must have been a nightmare of pronounciation....:D

28. The Boy

The Boy YNKWFIGTTU

Alan Hansen on Apartheid:

'That system was, you know, fundamentally flawed.'

29. discokermit

discokermit Well-Known Member

:D

next will be his expose of the inherant contradictions within capitalism.

30. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw No Gravitas Allowed

Davie Moyes (I think) on 5Live: "Is Mexico v Uruguay a derby?" in manner of clearly not knowing where Uruguay is. Other than that he's been pretty good.