1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coffee grinders, manual/electronic and discussion thereof

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by mrs quoad, Apr 20, 2007.

1. mrs quoad

mrs quoad ¡pǝlqɐsıp ƃuıƃƃɐʇ sɐɥ ;ǝpnɹ ʇou

I start counting from when the water stops visibly / enthusiastically bubbling. And, tbh, that's tended to work.

Though having heated equipment is also quite important. Getting everything around the same temperature to start with (or as close as possible) makes things more replicable / consistent.

Pouring boiling water into a cold FP might also kinda balance out the effect. Um, I'm aware some people've taken the time to work out how much heat the water loses between the spout and the grinds. But that's getting into 'caring way too much' territory, IMO, and anyhows, they don't seem to dispute the 8ish seconds of the boil thing. IIRC.

2. mrs quoad

tbh, I'll creditably believe 85-88 in FP / other slow extractions.

The temperature in the 'water boiler' also doesn't equal the temperature hitting the grinds. QV: that bit above, about people who care too much, and the distance between kettles / grinds.

e2a: also, obv, the water won't still be at x degrees after a 2-4 minute extraction.

3. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet ammonia snooker balls

I got an Aeropress recently from Square Mile - they even sent me a free bag of beans with it because it was out of stock so got to me a few days late. I'm being very trad with it and sticking to the instructions, and so far it seems great, but I have to say that even one scoop of beans seems to carry a fuck of a caffeine whack. It seems to have more effect than mugs of french press or stovetop that use twice as much coffee, and I'm drinking it Americano, not just knocking it back neat. Doesn't seem to be particularly bitter or anything either.

4. mrs quoad

Oh! :D

I remember that source, Idaho.

I've quoted it before, and it looks like it's still unchanged.

Epic :D

5. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I tend to boil the kettle, pour a little into the cup and a little into the press pot and let them warm up for 30 seconds or so, then empty the pot, add the coffee and fill up. So that seems to match up well enough.

6. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Nadie espera a la babosa española

So it's not just me then.

I used to make my FP coffee so you could stand a spoon up in it.

Even when I put a sensible amount of coffee in I was buzzing out - not as much as with 2 scoops though. :eek:

7. mrs quoad

Fridgey: there's no scientific basis for this whatsoever, but I swear there are different kinds of caffeines.

I can be completely acclimatised to fp, and then a shot of espresso will knock me for six. Or completely acclimatised to espresso, and a cup of fp will knock me for six. And completetly acclimatised to both of them, and a can of red bull will twat me one.

Someone elsewhere suggested it might be something to do with the different fat / protein / solids / etc ratios in various kinds of extraction. And that the quantity of (e.g.) fats slows down / speeds up the rate at which caffeine is metabolised.

That'd make particular sense if you'd switched from something without paper filtering, to something with (e.g. french press / moka pot to Aeropress - in my understanding of Aeropress?) Fewer fats'd be getting through.

That still doesn't explain why I can be blown over by a switch the other way, mind.

Not with 170g per 1/3 of a litre, though, I'm guessing :D

8. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Got a fresh delivery yesterday and made this yesterday and this morning:

Eithopian Yirgacheffe

The first pot I made was a bit too weak for me, and I wondered if it was a duff bag. But I added an extra quarter scoop to the next pot and it's very nice. I genuinely could taste the tea/peach thing.

9. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

It's not just caffiene in coffee. There are a couple of other chemicals with a narcotic effect. Theobromide for one.

10. Cid

Cid Degenerate Scum

:eek:

Be wired for months on that...

11. zenie

zenie >^^<

12. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

13. zenie

zenie >^^<

I have a mechanical one but it's too much effort! :D

Hmm looks interesting :cool:

14. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

15. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

That's a pretty comprehensive thread! I'll get merging.

16. pogofish

17. Cid

Cid Degenerate Scum

I have a kyocera manual, just attach a drill to the spigot where the handle goes. Don't run it too fast though.

Aeropresses are fantastic.

18. gentlegreen

Quoady will be along in a minute to tell you off !

19. Cid

Cid Degenerate Scum

The fool would crank his iPad if it had big brass knobs on.

editor likes this.
  20. Pinette

Pinette Active Member

My dear Mrs Quode - For most of the past year I have been making my coffee in a jug. (My spresso machine died after 20 yrs). Simple. Tescos cheapie. It was great. However, at Christmas I was given a Whittard's Breakfast Blend and tried to do the same - the result is execrable! ( I have to use up the whole packet because the person who gave it me lives here and doesn't drink coffee.) I know that you are a complete expert. But my God, this Whittard's Breakfast does not cut the mustard. I think that you are probably right with everything you say about coffee now. I imagine that for you,drinking inferior coffee and your tastebuds shrivelling in horror, is similar to my more quotodian experience with this Breakfast Blend poo. Tomorrow, if possible I have every intention of buying the Tezzies and putting it in the Whittard's packet. No hurt feelings then, you see. There's not a scintilla of real coffee anything about this Whittard's rubbish.

21. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Up yer bum

I prefer instant :)

There, ^ said it again.

22. Pinette

Pinette Active Member

No, no. Instant coffee is merely a beverage. Now think about that.

23. pogofish

I've only twice bought coffee from Whittard's and it was shite. Happily, the local independent roaster is still doing a roaring trade. :)

24. gentlegreen

I have a Whittards within easy reach, but I cycle several miles up steep hills to get the proper stuff.
    I end up buying a lot of beans and keeping them too long, but I reckon the coffee probably still tastes nicer than Whittards even when the beans are several weeks old.

25. mrs quoad

I agree :D Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole :D

And certainly not anything called 'breakfast blend' :D Most likely aiming for a filthy-high caffeine content, backed up by a barrel-load of raw dirt and (perhaps) robusta :D

Glad you're enjoying what you know, ay :D

26. bi0boy

bi0boy .

I reckon Whittard's tea is worse than their coffee.

27. Mogden

Mogden I like tea

So if I'm aiming to purchase a portable grinder to go alongside my Aeropress, it's a Porlex?? Or something else? And where from? Hasbean and then get some beans to go with? I'm on Lavazza espresso at the moment which I find most palatable but I fancy kicking it up to 11.

28. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet ammonia snooker balls

I had the Porlex but managed to break the ceramic bit. I now have a Skerton, which I much prefer for regular use - the handle of the Porlex kept popping off as I was grinding and made me swear a lot. The Skerton is a lot more stable, and also easier to adjust to a specific (approximate) grind. The Porlex would be a good travel grinder though, it's very compact.

Mogden likes this.
  29. mrs quoad

Lavazza Espresso, brewed how?

Hasbean do a 'filter starter pack,' fwiw. Which tends to include 5 bags of coffee, coming in at about £22-25 after postage (IIRC). That's what I mostly order, these days. The 'four bean blend' is *cough* dross that'll tide you over between orders, in emergencies, and when you have people who you really don't like coming round. The other 4 bags - IME - tend to be great quality, and would've cost (individually) more than what the 5-bag pack costs on its own.

I've got a Kyocera grinder (which I think has the same innards as the Porlex; or very, very close. You can buy replacement ceramic bits, btw, I think, Fridgey... Though I can't remember where I saw them. Coffee Hit, perhaps?)

IIUC, it's probably half way between the Porlex and Skerton wrt build / compacticity. It works, it's pretty good tbh (and I use it every day) but the allen-shaped slot in the handle has begun to be a bit worn.

If I was buying again, I'd blates go for the skerton. I've heard slightly sketchy things about the grind, but tbh I kinda love Hario, I really like the look of it, and the Porlex does look a bit anaemic for my liking.

None of that has anything to do with the grind, though :D

Mogden likes this.
  30. Mogden

Mogden I like tea

Cheers Fridgey and quoady. Much appreciated. Hario looking favourite then. Is it nice and portable? Lavazza brewed in my Aeropress. 2 scoops. Off the boil and left for a moment or three water, add water to 2 cup marker, stir while muttering up 10. Carry on pressing. Then gulp back as a shot or add more hot water and a dash of milk for an Americano.