1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christmas redundancies

Discussion in 'Wintervaltide - Xmas and Year Review 2011' started by ska invita, Dec 1, 2011.

1. A friend of mine was made redundant on Monday, and another narrowly avoided a redundancy, but some of his colleagues got hit.

Is there a reason why companies make redundancies just before Christmas? I think this is quite common practice - or have I got that wrong.
  2. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

Is it in the hope that those made redundant will be unable to put in a Tribunal claim in time if they reckon it wasn't done by the book?
  3. That's a possible theory. Maybe it doesn't just happen at Christmas but stands out at this time of year as being particularly shit. Someone else suggested to me its to do with the financial years kicking in in April, but decisions being made in the third quarter ahead of that, or something.
  4. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

Ah, yes, the financial year. Or, rather, in the case of listed companies, the year-end report.

Managers have share options. Share prices go up when number of employees in the annual report falls. Make sure they're off the books in good time for that.
  5. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

I've been 'let go' three times at Christmas since 1980.
  6. thats terrible - sorry mrs m