1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choose me a new look.

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by madzone, Oct 11, 2011.

1. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Up yer bum

Agree with linen is useless, When you're bigger linen trousers just kind of turn into a stiff tube, I have no idea why.

2. madzone

madzone Physically unfavourable

They also hang straight down from the biggest part of my belly. So do skirts. It's why I avoid them at all costs.

3. moomoo

moomoo Not so yummy mummy

Ah. So you want to look like everyone else then? What do other people at uni wear?

4. madzone

Things in a size 10.

5. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Up yer bum

The bastards

:D

6. madzone

They're also less than half my age.

Deep fucking joy.

7. Biddlybee

Biddlybee making knots with sticks

You know how tall I am and things are too short on me!! :eek: :D

I reckon bob's hit on something... a shopping/personal shopper (personal spangles/Ms T shopper ?) day thing up in a dept store in London might be a good idea - there'll be concessions you've not heard of, some new styles and brands that you like. You don't have to buy anything there and then, but will help you see styles you wouldn't stumble upon normally.

8. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Up yer bum

9. madzone

It looks like it might sit under my bust and make me look a bit pregnant. I haven't seen any in the shops though so I haven't tried. I can't do online shopping. I order shitloads of stuff. It comes, I hate it. I forget to send it back, I end up paying for it.

I'm going to have to go and do some work now and I'm also about to start crying which isn't such a good idea in a room full of people.

Thanks all for trying.

10. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Wallis sizing is on the generous side so worth a try.

11. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Me and spangles would be ace personal shoppers btw if you fancy a day in London. :)

12. Biddlybee

13. wtfftw

wtfftw toasted cheese debauchery

Ooh. May I come? I'll help madz say when she needs to sit down. :cool:

5t3IIa likes this.
  14. Red Cat

Red Cat Well-Known Member

I have trouble with shoes - little shoes make me feel big and top heavy, clumpy make me feel like a bloke. Do you like brogues?

I think you probably hate brogues :D

15. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

I didn't think they were THAT bad but I didn't think you'd like them either tbh. But you wanted photos!! You're right, good photos are bloody hard to find!

16. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Base for your face

Yeah and me. I want new frocks and to have some kind of idea in my head of what I should eh buying and wearing but I'm just a bit of a magpie going 'ooh :eek:' when I see things and 'oh :(' when I try them on.

madzone likes this.
  17. madzone

I went into Asda (yes, I know) on my way home last night and tried on a few things. They were all vile. There were some nice grey, jersey type shift dress things that would have looked ok if they weren't clingy. There was a simple black dress with embroidery on it that made me look like a balloon and a couple of jumper dresses that just clung to me on all my widest parts. Also, they were all gapey and baggy round the armpits. I don't think I'm out of proportion.

Anyway - it all looked shit and I'm not bothering again.

18. wayward bob

wayward bob official sideboard pervert

okay devil's advocate time :hmm: you aren't comfortable in/with your body as it is. unless you can find clothes that magically make you look like you're a size 10 you won't be happy with them. unless you can find some way to mentally bridge the gap between how you actually look and how you want to look clothes are never gonna be anything but a heartache. which is sad, because, as an artist they should be a source of joy, a means of self expression.

you can say whatever you like about me not understanding cos i'm skinny, but i haven't always been. and i can compare the difference between when i was a fat teenager who hated her body and when i was a fat mother who appreciated her body for what it could do/had done. i found it massively easier to find clothes i liked in the latter situation because i'd come to a level of acceptance that that's how i was and didn't feel the need to hide/disguise it.

okay, now shoot me :p

scifisam, Greebo and lizzieloo like this.
  19. Greebo

Greebo All the personality of your own plastic copy.

FWIW cheap clothing tends to be badly cut, and if you take a larger size (anything over a 12, given that AFAIK it's often all graded up from a size 8), it won't have been graded up properly - hence the gaping, and generally not fitting where it should.

It might not work for you, but forget about outerwear, try getting some new underwear, even if you're the only person who'll see it. Doesn't have to be shapewear, but it does need to fit you well, be reasonably comfortable (or you won't wear it), and help you feel good about yourself. Then wear it when shopping for other clothes.

You're taller than average and IMHO at size 10 you'd look skeletal, not stylish. You can't change that. What you can change is how you see yourself, and you already have, but in the wrong direction. :( What happened to the woman who was so confident about herself earlier this year? Has one man's IMHO shitty attitude destroyed that much of you in so little time? Nobody's hit you with an ugly stick have they? ;)

You won't be 18 again, and you may never be a size 10, but I'd put good money on there being things about you that those younger art students envy. You're still attractive. End of.

20. Clair De Lune

Clair De Lune Glistening finger

21. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Base for your face

Madz I'm pretty slim but I have had crippling body image issues which i won't go into right now. I think WaywardBob is right in that clothes and clothes shopping will be really deflating until you get the body image stuff sorted.
    Or do what I do and just ignore the voice which says 'are you fucking serious?' and wear it anyway.
    If people look at me I'm convinced they are saying what that self doubting voice is saying but they don't live in my head so I ignore them too.
    I know that sounds pretty trite and it's not contributing to finding you a new look but SO MANY WOMEN feel exactly like you do about dressing, for a multitude of reason.

Greebo likes this.
  22. madzone

It's not really to do with body image. It's to do with practicalities. If the clothes don't exist how can I buy them?

23. madzone

24. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

Go to a posh department sore such as John Lewis, HoF, etc that provides a free personal shopper service, let them show you what a pro thinks will look good on you, and then rather than buy anything you can't afford try to find similar stiff cheaper for the most part.

25. madzone

I looked on John Lewis's website. They had ONE dress in my size.

26. Greebo

Greebo All the personality of your own plastic copy.

1) Don't believe you. 2) Bollocks 3) They do exist, but you're not looking in the right places.

27. madzone

Well, no-one has come up with anything on the thread so if it's that easy why are there no links to anything nice?

And I think you're mixing me up with somsone else re the confidence stuff. I've never been confident about the way I look.

28. Clair De Lune

Clair De Lune Glistening finger

How about refuse couture? it's like soooo in right now and works on so many levels :cool:

[​IMG]

29. madzone

That's more like it :D

30. Biddlybee

sweaty though.