1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chatham House report indicates 'significant support' among far-right for 'planned attacks'

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Bernie Gunther, Mar 4, 2012.

1. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Aye, there are some I would shed no tears to see popping their cloggs, but never at the hands of murderers, no matter what their perusasion or grievance, in a properly constituted democracy (even an imperfect one) that is. Syria, for instance, is a different matter
  2. coley

coley Well-Known Member

In this country it is more the threat of economic violence as opposed to physical.
  3. Blagsta

Blagsta Minimum cage, maximum cage

Is it? How do the police do their job then?
  4. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Badly, in many cases, but in the main? by consent.
  5. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

Are you stupid?

Since when does silent agreement constitute appreciation? It doesn't even constitute endorsement, you arse-nugget!
  6. Blagsta

"its a fair cop guvnor, I'll come quietly"
  7. ViolentPanda

Violence already plays a part in the democratic political process, you arse! You don't seem to have too many problems with the state putting the boot in!
  8. ViolentPanda

TBF, you could easily leave off the last 7 words above, given how often the act is resorted to by the state.
  9. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Perhaps I am? mebbes not just intelligent enough to appreciate the fine distinction between your use of 'tactic agreement' and myself thinking that if I was in tactic agreement with something then I would probably appreciate the sentiment or action.
  10. coley

coley Well-Known Member

I have every objection to the state putting the boot in, where putting said boot in is inappropiate that is.
  11. ViolentPanda

Conversely, you might see what was done as painful but necessary. That's hardly a "fine distinction", it's a fucking gaping chasm away from your characterisation.
  12. ViolentPanda

And who gets to actually decide what is and isn't inappropriate.....Yep, that's right...the State!!
  13. Blagsta

Who decides what is appropriate?
  14. coley

coley Well-Known Member

I would never regard Killing someone I disagree with as "painful but necessary"
    Put it this way,even at the height of the miners stike I would never have "tacitly agreed with" endorsed or had sympathy with or appreciation of Maggie being murdered.
  15. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Aye the state, of which we are all part, if we choose to be sheep we shouldnt cry our eyes out when our apathy is taken advantage of.
  16. ViolentPanda

If by consent you mean "because we vote them in, one party or t'other", that's not really consent as Locke meant it, is it?
  17. ViolentPanda

You keep introducing new criteria. Previously it was "appreciation", now it's "killing someone I disagree with".
    To get back "on topic", I'd say that Neave's death was "painful but necessary". His history, and the influence he had over certain of Thatcher's circle, meant that he was highly unlikely to have been pragmatic about negotiation with irish republicans. I'd contend that had he lived, Thatcher would VERY likely have taken a harder line than she did over Northern Ireland.
  18. ViolentPanda

We're not part of the state, and whenever we choose not to be sheep they assault and/or murder us.
  19. likesfish

likesfish chanelling mike from spaced

It's a tricky one.
    Given human nature having the means of violence fairly heavily restricted to agents of the state and those agents quite heavily restrained. Regardless of what you might think lethal force employed by the state is not routine it always makes headlines and is investigated.
  20. likesfish

likesfish chanelling mike from spaced

Much as certain activists complain the state is not in the habit of killing protestors to claim otherwise is lieing.
  21. Blagsta

I don't think anyone did claim that.
  22. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Depends on your interpretation of Locke doesnt it? same applies to your post 168
  23. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

No it doesn't.
  24. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Thats a huge assumption to justify someones murder
  25. butchersapron

How about just 'painful' then - that'll do me.
  26. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Whey, we got the odd hiding during the strike but I cant remember many of us being taken away to the gulags to be 'disposed of'
  27. ViolentPanda

Nope. It really doesn't. Have a think about what you're saying.
  28. coley

coley Well-Known Member

In reality, if we choose to live in this country then we have to accept being part of the state.
  29. butchersapron

30. ViolentPanda

Ah, so now we've moved on from "killing someone I disagree with" to "justifying someones murder".

None of which I've said.

And my assumption (because yes, I did make one) isn't huge, it's entirely consonant with what was known of Neave's opinions and his position at the time. This wasn't a man who believed in doing things by the book, this was a man who believed in stamping on those whom he didn't agree with, whether that was British trade unionists or Irish republicans, and he had enough sway with Thatcher's inner circle to have carried that opinion into her policies.