1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chambers, Ohuruogu and how to aviod drug testers

Discussion in 'Olympics 2008' started by London_Calling, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Homeless Mal

Homeless Mal Banned Banned

Yes mum :D:D:D
  2. bi0boy

bi0boy .

I reckon we should just drop athletics and shit from the olympics.:D

I doubt anyone would bother taking drugs in sailing or beach volleyball.
  3. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Domination Snert

I tried beach volleyball once and I took loads of drugs.:p
  4. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus would be a rubbish god

You're just sounding nasty now.
  5. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

oh look, it's still about me!

How about the issues in hand, got a moment for them?
  6. JTG

JTG Petulant Mr Festival

The fact that she had to change training venues at short notice because of a school sports day tells me that training facilities in this country are in woefully short supply far more than it tells me she's a cheat
  7. littlebabyjesus

I've addressed them. But if you will make sarcastic comments about 'butter-wouldn't-melt' then yes, it will continue to be about you.
  8. London_Calling

Ah yes, she doesn't always know where she'll wake up so how can we expect her to . . . I forget how that went now.
  9. littlebabyjesus

Nope. I said that if I had to provide a time and place when I would be available every single day of my life, I'd probably fuck up too.

Then again, I take drugs.:(
  10. Diamond

Diamond The Red Baron Banned

Has anyone made the point that Chambers and Ohuruogu's cases are just a leetle bit different.

One failed a drugs test. The other missed their drugs tests.

That's some pretty important context to remember before you get all worked up undermining another's achievements.
  11. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

In some sports the two are deemed one and the same, and I agree with that approach.
  12. Diamond

If you miss a drugs test, then you should be punished and she has been.

If you fail a drugs test, you and your reputation should be punished more severely and that has happened to Chambers. Arguably you should be banned from competing, and that has happened to Chambers.

The bottom line is that there's a major difference between the two and to try and find some equivalence in order to cast petty aspersions is at best mean spirited.

She stayed behind in the stadium for hours tonight to be tested, I suppose we'll have to wait a few days for plonkers like LC to be satisfied that they can get off their high horse.
  13. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

I just don't see how the two should be treated differently if you're semi-serious about getting rid of the cheaters.
    Does that make me petty and mean spirited?
  14. London_Calling

It's not about now - she's obviously not taking drugs now.

If she was taking drugs in the past, the issue now is the extra (unnatural) muscle she was able to put on at that time - and is able to utilise now. In that respect, it's a similar argument to that against Chambers.

Why the abuse?
  15. London_Calling

16. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

Very interesting letter.

If they had to change location and she could notify them up to the minute, why didn't she notify them of the change of location? Or did she?

The council leisure centre in Crystal Palace is run by the same company who run Mile End Stadium, and that stadium really is used by kids in the Summer holidays (my daughter will be there tomorrow), so it's plausible.
  17. ymu

ymu Niall Ferguson's deep-cover sock-puppet

I don't see how a serious drugs cheat is going to fuck up for a third test. Miss two, surely you're off the drugs until time forgives you? I agree with the rule or it's all pointless, but I think she had a *lot* of bad luck. I can't imagine having to map my life out months in advance and account for trivial changes in plans like that.

If she didn't have an overwhelming case in her favour, I can't see why they'd have treated her any differently from Dwain Chambers. Britain takes a much tougher stance on drugs than most other countries.
  18. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

Good point. Proper criminals know how to work just within the law.

Course, it could be just that she wasn't a very good drugs cheat.

Crystal Palace, though; she could have been at Mile End stadium in a taxi within half an hour, an hour tops. When someone's career's on the line, you'd think the testers would wait an hour.

Then again, she simply 'forgot' where she was supposed to be for her second test. Just how dippy are she, her coach and all those around her to forget something as important as that?

*wavering*
  19. Jessiedog

Jessiedog Keeping the faith.

Missing three tests is unacceptable.

Every other British athlete involved managed to stick to their regimes. She didn't.

Given the nature of drug cheating and the "duck and dive" measures that athletes use to avoid detection as explained in the opening post, there must be an overwhelming suspicion that she is a drug cheat - that's why she was banned.

Allowing people like her to compete at the olympics is a part of the reason that the whole olympic movement is now totally discredited.

Everybody's doin' it, doin' it, doin' it!

It's all a big joke - a fucking laughing stock!

:mad:

:(

Woof
  20. Diamond

What pisses me off about your OP is that you bunch Ohrougou and Chambers together in the title and then in your first line backtrack to say that they're completely different cases. That's pretty cynical from my point of view.

Beyond that, from what I understand about drug regimes, with regard to muscle mass, the only kind of "extra" muscle that could persist from two years ago and consistently give her an advantage would be drug induced during puberty (e.g. Messi and Maradona) or else would have to be consistently supported by a regime of doping throughout.

No-one is suggesting that she was doping in her youth or during her ban/last year so it seems like nonsense to me to suggest that she's gained any kind of competitive advantage from drugs.
  21. aylee

aylee In exile in Haringay

Definitely a contender for the most ridiculously over-the-top piece of hyperbole I've ever read on Urban.
  22. Flashman

Flashman wtf did I do?

Again.

She fucked up, and got punished. End of story.

I'm sure she's been tested loads since 05/06. And even if she had taken something, that was a fair while ago.

She won because Richards ran the first 200 too quickly and tired on the last 100, whereas Ohuruogu and the Jamaican ran their own race, paced it well and it paid off.

That's how it happened in real life, speculate on what may or mat not have happened years ago if you like but it's futile and pretty pointless.
  23. Jessiedog

Ummm.

Out of season testing is done randomly twice a year. It is possible through "duck and diving" to avoid detection (that's why she was banned).

There's no "proof" that she hasn't gained advantage through cheating and deep suspicion that she has - that's why she was banned.

Or she won through cheating and building muscle through doping during the off-season and "duck and divingh" to avoid detection.

I guess we'll never know for sure, but I know what I think.

:hmm:

I guess we'll probably never know.

Woof
  24. Barking_Mad

Barking_Mad Non sibi sed omnibus

It's not like she's missing a doctors appointment, it's a drugs test which could cause you to miss the very thing you have been working towards, success as an athlete.

If I was one missed test away from a ban, i'd make sure that i let someone know where i was.

That doesn't mean she is guilty, and it doesn't mean she doesn't deserve another chance, but facts be facts.
  25. Flashman

Flashman wtf did I do?

I know why she was banned.

Has she missed any out of season tests since? No.
    Has she been tested a lot since? Yes.

If she had taken anything three years ago would it still be helping her now, winning a gold? No.
    Was it in fact her hard work, tactics and race nous that won the gold and doesn't Michael Johnson and everyone else agree with that? Yes.

But don't let facts get in the way of a good witch hunt on the internets by the speculoons.

Bored now tbh.
  26. littlebabyjesus

The overwhelming consensus among ex-athletes appears to be that she is clean. Do you have access to information they are not privy to?
    If you don't, you base your opinion on what, exactly?
  27. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

Well, indeed.

She refused the testers to come and visit her at home because she has no privacy, being one of 5 kids in a small house. That leaves only the times when she is training at a specified venue at a specified time.

And as for those who can't believe she forgot? I can, especially if your mind is focused on other things.
  28. Jessiedog

Frankly, I'd consider "ex-athletes" to be a rather tainted sample.

Woof
  29. Flashman

Flashman wtf did I do?

Because of all that evidence you keep showing us.
  30. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

Even those who have simply retired because of injury or age etc?:confused: