1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catalogue of arguments for the existence of God

Discussion in 'theory, philosophy & history' started by kropotkin, Aug 6, 2004.

1. butchersapron

butchersapron shoot 'em in the back

No, you didn't state it was merely historical (even if you had of done you'd still face the exact same question begging asccusations). What you actually said was;

No way out down this road.
  2. butchersapron

Method!

Is that really what milk means? :D
  3. Gmart

Gmart Well-Known Member

It is both historical due to its definition and a fact due to the evidence from history and logic. Still no circular arguments there and you and Blagsta are starting to be very obviously avoiding stating the circle clearly for all to see.
  4. butchersapron

Of course it's historical. Yet that's not what you said. I demonstrated the circle very clearly yesterday.

a) Evolution is a historical fact
    b) and so
    c)I have no choice but to rely on second hand evidence or worse of my opening FACT a)
  5. Gmart

Gmart Well-Known Member

Of course you didn't demonstrate anything yesterday.

This is not circular reasoning - I am saying that historical facts, as a set of facts, are based on second hand (or worse) evidence and I have to rely on such evidence because Evolution is an example of a historical fact, but it is not historical facts in general and so it is not circular.
  6. butchersapron

I did, I just did again, you started with your conclusion. As pointed out a few times now, this is commonly known as begging the question. You then proceeded to argue that as your conclusion was true you were forced to rely on methods other than direct experience to show that it was true. That's circular. You do the same above. You're too slow to understand this though - and you're certainly too slow to see why this is religious thought.
  7. Blagsta

Blagsta Minimum cage, maximum cage

I give up. :facepalm:
  8. Blagsta

Someone better tell my daughter!
  9. phildwyer

phildwyer Gorau arf arf dysg

Absolutely false. You do have a point about the various posters who just tried to disrupt the thread, and I admit that they managed to sidetrack us occasionally. And it is true that the Mods binned the thread just as I was approaching the climax. But I certainly did work through my proof in its entirity. I suggest you re-examine the thread in greater detail.
  10. phildwyer

Of course I believe in evolution. But I do not believe in Darwin's theory of evolution. Most theories of evolution are quite compatible with the existence of the Creator.
  11. phildwyer

Yes they can! Why do you have a bee in your bonnet about this issue? Why shouldn't they be Christians?
  12. phildwyer

Which theory of evolution do you think is historical?
  13. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Er Phil, it's not all about you you know. This is a discussion I was having with someone else. The bee in my bonnet is that the OP pretty much says gays can't be christian (read the thread before jumping in), but is dancing round the issue. Whatever I think about any religion, a bigoted, exclusive and hateful religion is obviously far worse. I think gays should be free to be a part of any religion they see fit. I still won't think they are doing the right thing, but that's up to them, as long as they don't act like arseholes, who cares?
    There are those who take the bible 100% as the word of god that must be followed and will not deviate, you obviously do not, so you are at least (for all your sins) not quite as foolish.
  14. butchersapron

Does he frig. Have you read the thread?
  15. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Really? In all the back and forth with me he has said that he is ok with gays but can't understand why they would want to get married in a church.
    He said that christians believe in the word of the bible and that to lie with another man in the bible is wrong, so why would a gay want to get married in a church?

Ha, actually shit I was wrong. I didn't mean the OP I meant John Cooper thread bumper. Apologies.

16. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus would be a rubbish god

17. phildwyer

Yep. Especially the timing--just as I was about to clinch the argument once and for all.
  18. mark dodds

mark dodds J Mark Dodds

Can anyone tell me if there is a god please?

And if there is, please can you tell me how to find it?

And then how will I know I've found it?

Been looking for a long time. Can't see it, can't find it. I'm worried that I must be blind. But I'm not. I can see very clearly. Just not any of those hundreds of gods out there I know must exist because so many people keep telling me they know that god exists... Which one is it? Where is it? I want to know.

Please > I can't bear it!
  19. john cooper

john cooper Banned Banned

what are my religious views you seem to know ?
  20. john cooper

atheists i see , ime sure on the point of death you would pray to god as working in a hospice ive seen this many times by people who said they were athiests .
  21. john cooper

its really quite simple pray and mean it .
  22. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Ezekiel 23:20

"There are no atheists in a lifeboat" - blah blah zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I can remember some years back, quite a lot of the most enthusiastic evangelists were ex-habitual criminals and / or addicts who had simply swapped one addiction for another...
  23. Gmart

Gmart Well-Known Member

You have to believe that in the end fear will get even us.

I am happy that you find solace in your faith. Good for you, but apart from Phil Dwyer who claims to be religious, there are few who I meet with any intelligence, who remain religious. those who claim to be religious have the vaguest versions possible.

That is not to say that there is not a place for faith in this story, it is just that the religious have attached humanist values to their dubious stories, and with the globalised world they have been found out.

The universe is purely deterministic from start to finish - we are simply an evolved ape the same as any other animal on this planet. No one can give an example of God doing anything against the laws of nature - not you, not Phil, no one, because there is no God, it is just Man pushing his arrogance as far as possible, trying to prove that things 'matter' in some way, when they don't.
  24. butchersapron

You're religious. Apparently one of the few hidden in amongst the billions.
  25. butchersapron

Fan-tast-ic. Not only does all milk come from cows, all animals come from apes :D

THIS IS EVOLUTION
  26. Gmart

Gmart Well-Known Member

What a reposte! - well that's me convinced then - let's all just whinge about how awful everything is while dreaming of a revolution which will never come.
  27. butchersapron

Convinced of what? Your incoherence? Your stupidity? If you really think that all milk comes from cows and that all animals are descended from apes then you've just given the best argument against evolution i've ever read.
  28. Gmart

Gmart Well-Known Member

You don't really think that I said that, you are just being disingenious to avoid commenting on what I really said.
  29. butchersapron

You don't think that you really said those things? Really?

30. Blagsta

We didn't evolve from apes.