1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cat with a broken fang?

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Cloo, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Cloo

Cloo Macaroni penguin

Just the last day or two, when my cat looks up at me and miaows, I’ve noticed that it looks as though one of her front fangs is broken. It may have been like this the whole time I’ve had her for all I know, but next time I can get a good look at it (ie, when she yawns) I’ll know for sure.

She seems to be fine – I haven’t noticed any sign of distress or not eating properly if this is something that’s happened recently.

If I do establish the tooth is broken, should I leave it if she seems to be OK, or should I assume it’s indicative of a general dental problem and get her down the vets? She’s 11 years old, so no spring chicken, and it might be that they need attention. Are there any other signs I should look for that might indicate a problem in that area worth veterinary assistance?
  2. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Looks like she has been fighting! In all probability, there is now another cat with a lump of her tooth buried in its skull & a developing abcess.

Nothing really to worry about, this is quite normal in older more dominant cats. If she's not in distress & eating properly, all should be well. If the tooth gets broken far-enough down to expose the nerve, she will get discomfort & there is a risk of a tooth abcess developing - Then would be the time to get a vet involved. Watch out for pus leaking from the break & around the base of the tooth. If it dosen't fall-out naturally, pulling the tooth is about the only option & vets don't like doing that at all. When my last cat had this done, he came straight up from the sedation & attacked the vet. I had to pry him, one deeply-embedded claw at a time, off the vet's shoulder before he resumed the procedure with a much longer set of forceps! :D

The main dental problem to watch for in cats is Gingivitis which is more a gum condition. It shows-up as a fine red line just below the gum line. If got early enough, it can be easily cleared with antibiotics but if left, can cause the loss of several teeth. My current tabby had this when we got her & lost some but her feeding seems unaffected.
  3. dogmatique

dogmatique merde alors

As long as the canine tooth's pulp isn't exposed, it won't be causing the cat discomfort.

One thing to keep an eye on though, is whether the break is quite jagged and angled or quite straight. If it's jagged, feline canine teeth have a tendency to split upwards towards the gum over a period of time so keep an eye out for any kind of crack travelling upwards.

If you're insured, it'd be worth checking to see if dentistry is included in your policy, especially if you can claim it was from an accident and not aging.
  4. miss minnie

miss minnie Well-Known Member

at that age, you should get the cat's teeth looked at anyway.

it had never occurred to me that my cat had an impacted wisdom tooth and eating was painful for her. :oops: after it was removed i noticed she had a different expression on her face when she ate - she no longer *winced*. :oops: :oops:

the only problem is that feline dental treatment is one of the most expensive things you can buy. pulling a tooth is cheap, scale and polish is outrageously dear.
  5. Cloo

Cloo Macaroni penguin

If it's recent it's not likely to be fighting, as she's barely been outside since we moved two months ago

At a glimpse, it looks as though it's broken jaggedly, so I'll take a closer look at in and her gums next chance I get to establish.

I have no insurance (not really worth it), but if her health is threatened in a way that can be solved easily (if not cheaply) then I'll do it.
  6. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

My mum adopted a cat who has no front teeth whatsoever. Her tongue hangs out, which looks quite funny, but otherwise she appears to be a very happy cat.
  7. dogmatique

dogmatique merde alors

Eh? Don't follow that. What would happen if she (heaven forbid) got knocked over or similar?

As mentioned on another thread [about cat insurance] one of ours is recovering from a serious accident at the moment. The bills so far are over £800 with more to come. If he hadn't been insured, I don't bear think what we'd have done. Having said that, dental treatment isn't generally covered unless it is the result of an accident.
  8. suzee blue cheese

suzee blue cheese Well-Known Member

My impression is that some/many insurance companies don't take on cats over a certain age - like @ 8 years old. Do correct me if I'm wrong..
  9. Cloo

Cloo Macaroni penguin

I looked at the prices and it wasn't worth the excess for your average treatment... as she doesn't go out much and never into roads, I doubt she'll manage to break anything or have bad accidents, and if, God forbid, she should be diagnosed with anything dreadful one day I'd rather have her put to sleep, as I don't believe on the whole in putting pets through medical treatments they can't understand, for your own sake (as I see it).
  10. dogmatique

dogmatique merde alors

Ah, understood. Yeah, I know what you mean - not much point if the excess is 80 quid. However - we've got ours insured through M&S and we pay a couple of quid extra for a no excess policy. It really makes it worth it. All those little scrapes etc that cost 40 odd quid are covered.
  11. madamv

madamv Bumbling though the woods

My cat has a chipped fang. He looks a bit daft :D
  12. weepiper

weepiper eb slootly non verbal

Our eldest cat (10 now, 5 when it happened) was hit by a car and broke her jaw, one bottom canine tooth had to be removed completely and the top one on the same side broke about halfway, the vet said it was better to leave it but he filed down a sharp edge to stop her cutting her tongue on it. She's been absolutely fine since and still hunts.
  13. Cloo

Cloo Macaroni penguin

Chim hasn't yawned yet, so still not sure... am keeping an eye on her though. All seems otherwise normal (ie, she's still a neurotic loon).