1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capturing a US drone..

Discussion in 'science and environment' started by TopCat, Dec 8, 2011.

1. TopCat

TopCat Tits, fanny and Millwall...

2. TopCat

Whatever it's certainly a coup for the Iranians.
  3. Casually Red

Casually Red fear not

Good question . Im quite sure this site isnt wholly populated by catlovers , drug fiends and exhibitionists and there'll be an expert on hand shortly to tell us how its done .
  4. TopCat

It certainly makes the Iranian armed forces look a bit more serious than say the Iraqi's.
  5. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

*waves to the cia*
    blairsh likes this.
  6. souljacker

souljacker Eggs Bread Cigs Milk

I would expect that's how its done. However, the radio signals would be presumably heavily encrypted which would mean either the Iranians have cracked the code or someone has given them the key :hmm:

The only other way I could see them catching one is to completely block any signals from getting to it which might invoke a sort of graceful glide landing. However, I think it's more likely that in the event of comms being completely lost, it would self destruct.

The interesting thing about this is the fact that they can presumably reverse engineer the drone they have and give what they find to others. The US will need to make some drastic changes to the control systems otherwise every two bob terrorist is going to be taking them down easily.
  7. TopCat

If they blocked all the signals the drone would have crashed. It looked quite tidy in that video. Not a crash job. It is really interesting. Notions of tractor beams and super ray guns spring to my mind anyway. :)
  8. souljacker

souljacker Eggs Bread Cigs Milk

The other thing that occurred to me was that they had hacked into the systems used by 30th Recon in Nevada and taken control that way. The US military aren't exactly renowned for their network security.
  9. mauvais

mauvais ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

They're not very clever. It probably landed itself there.
  10. HAL9000

HAL9000 Lasting Damage

I think we should consider simpler possibilities at the moment, such as that drone being a model. Is the colour right

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/defense/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&newspaperUserId=27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7&plckPostId=Blog:27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post:3a3730f4-c5f9-475c-be42-1fdc18846c1b&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

Size of the vehicle, some reports have suggested it has a very wide wing span.
    Only once we've established its the genuine article then its sensible to look at other issues?
  11. TopCat

You think it's been carved out of balsa wood?
  12. likesfish

likesfish chanelling mike from spaced

or just Photoshoped iran has previous.:D
    probably broke crashed in or near iran some goat herder found it flogged it to the iraninans
    Its a stealth Drone how would the Iranians know it was up there? to do anything devious to in the first place.
  13. HAL9000

HAL9000 Lasting Damage

May be wood, this film highlights what can be done with wood. (and not just the actors ;-)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092610/

Its been reported in flight international that the US are using rapid prototyping machines to make some of the UAV's. If you're making a non functioning model, its even easier.
  14. TopCat

But it's more likely that on the balance of probabilities it's a US drone that Iran have captured in a Joe 90 sort of way.
  15. ferrelhadley

ferrelhadley tick tock, tick tock its coming close now

The underside is obscured. Possibly an engine failure and it glid down to a belly landing.
  16. joustmaster

joustmaster not a racist

I don't know how encrypted the communications are.
    I remember reading some article a bit back, about people being able to pick up a clear video stream from them. I can easily imagine a very poor level of encryption being used

Any way, I would imagine the best way to catch one would be with a huge cartoon style net on a pole
  17. TruXta

TruXta Tired of this

Nah, apparently the command and control link is very heavily encrypted. I'd put money on either a malfunction or a fake.
  18. joustmaster

joustmaster not a racist

I would like to see some details on it. Out of general interest. Heavily encrypted from now, from 5 years ago is a different story.
  19. TruXta

TruXta Tired of this

Just some shit I read on Reddit earlier. God knows it could be a load of cock.
  20. OneStrike

OneStrike Well-Known Member

Blatantly defected, the AI was too strong.
    Random and fogbat like this.
  21. joustmaster

joustmaster not a racist

You'd hope it was true...

I am still a fan of the big net on a long stick idea.
  22. TruXta

TruXta Tired of this

23. MikeMcc

MikeMcc Well-Known Member

The picture is bollocks, a mock-up for a propaganda story. The UAVs are blue, not brown. You want to hide them in the sky from people looking up, not hiding them against the sand from folks looking down.

It is possible to hijack command links, but it's highly unlikely. In saying that, the US have had issues before of being so cock-sure of them selves they hadn't bothered with some pretty basic security. There was a story a while ago about the video downlink from a drone being intercepted. But that is a hell of a long way from being able to hijck command of a vehicle. Assuming it's encrypted, you'd have to know the code of the day. Even if it's not, you'd have to know the command codes required. Simply jamming the signals wouldn't work because (assuming anybody with half a brain cell was involved in the design), there would be an autopilot default to return-to-base in hte event of loss of contact.

The Iranians story is BS, that said, the crash will still have provided a lot of valuable evidence. I've seen kit returned from a Lynx helicopter that had been in a 35g crash. While the metalwork was a bit mangled and twisted the PCB inside was still flat and functional ( the supports popped out).

If it had radar systems on it, just having the physical kit is useful, the dimensions of waveguides and pCb channels can tell you alot about the frequencies used in the device. How it's interconnected may show some novel technique not used by the other sides, then theres the materials used.

I believe the hijack theory is BS, but it's still a major loss to the US in terms of technology transfer.
  24. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Sold to China and a knock-off version available in bulk on Taobao.com by this time next year :D Get one for each of the kids next Christmas.
    fogbat and Dr Jon like this.
  25. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Still is DownwardDog

I'd say it's 50-50 on a fake or a load of wreckage that's been cobbled back together in a Valiasr Street panel shop.

Look at the joints on the wings. Lockheed-Martin don't use duct tape and Bondo to attach the wings of their RPAS.

The notion of IRGC cyber-commandos taking over the AES-256 satcom link to 'hijack' it is farcical.
  26. Detroit City

Detroit City This post is my opinion..

i believe the chinese already have a stealth drone covered with rice
  27. two sheds

two sheds not as daft as i look

No, that's definitely a real drone. If we could see underneath we'd see the rubber band's broken too which is why it came down.
  28. Chester Copperpot

Chester Copperpot Triple stones

Not sure the colour is that important when flying at 50,000 feet.
  29. mauvais

mauvais ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Show me a picture of a blue one. And not just a photo of an empty sky, thanks anyway.
  30. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

Not really. Even bog standard PKI is still effectively unbreakable if done properly and would be suited for this kind of thing. I'd be amazed if they did hijack it. Amazed that the americans fucked up the security more than the iranians broke it.